Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Does this make Sense?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
steve_d3

Does this make Sense?

I have read this post somewhere on the www. Does this guy know how to drive a D3 or is he talking C**p? since I am fairly new to the D3, would like to invite comments from you experienced hands. he seems to be saying you have to drive it just below 50 k/h to keep the height above normal???? Shocked

Quote:
I have taken the Disco 3 into very rough terrain in Africa. A significant problem, however, is the fact that the off-road height automatically resets to normal height when touching 50kms / hr (what is the trigger point in miles for UK spec vehicles?). The problem is that in many instances, off-road terrain simply has a high "middle man" and one can drive 60, 70 or even 80 km/hr. NOT with the dear Discovery 3, you have to stay below 50 kms / hr (and a chime that constantly irritates you due to being above 40kms / hr but below the magic 50kms/hr). Failing which the car simply lowers resulting in much damage underneath as rocks, gravel, sand etc do their thing. And beware lifting the car back up to off road level more than a hand full of times, the system shuts down, citing "over heating". Land Rover in SA have not commented on my problems. My local dealer says - "thats the way the car is, sorrry for u dear Sir". What a pity, it simply renders the car quite useless for fairly simple off road conditions.

Post #10241316th Nov 2006 10:43 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Yes, he's correct. At any speed above 40mph, the D3 will drop down to normal height.
 Matt  
Post #10241816th Nov 2006 10:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

err... yes, he's correct - to a point, not sure if the km setpoints are correct but they look right... You have to bear in mind that LR are selling to a global market, some more prone to litigation than others.... Rolling Eyes and will be very conservative with factory suspension lift stability - remember the Merc whatever-it-is that regularly fell over when joiurno's drove them?
Yep, i've drove 110's with suspension lift at 50-70mph, it was a blast but if it had fallen over I (or more likely, my family) wouldn't have been blaming LR because I chose to drive something outside of factory specification. I suspect that all Metzger are doing with their add-on box is allowing the suspension to perform as it did during the pre-production testing, as TC and JE are doing with their engine mods, whilst we choose these mods, we are also takin ownership of the risk that goes with them... Wink
compressor overheating all the time? unless it's a very old comment, absolute crap Rolling Eyes

Post #10241916th Nov 2006 10:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
suevite

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I make 40 mph to be a shade over 64 kph! Confused
 Don't put it off, go for it!  
Post #10242216th Nov 2006 11:04 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

It lowers at 30mph (spent a lot of time driving at 29mph in Morocco for some strange reason Wink )
 The End  
Post #10242816th Nov 2006 11:11 pm
steve_d3

thanks for the reply...so you are saying (10forcash) that you can have an out of factory suspension lift with the TC superchip and the like? 8)

Post #10242916th Nov 2006 11:12 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Not TC, Matzker - supplied through Outback Import in UK

Post #10243016th Nov 2006 11:13 pm
steve_d3

thanks again ... Surprised

Post #10243116th Nov 2006 11:16 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Spelling corrected..... Wink
 The End  
Post #10243416th Nov 2006 11:20 pm
steve_d3

It actually makes perfect sense, why would someone want to drive over 50k/h over some very rough terrain????rocks, hiiltops whatever..over 50 sounds too fast anyway...

Post #10244216th Nov 2006 11:27 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

He's right. The D3 lowers from off road over 50kph back to normal height.
Really anoying Evil or Very Mad
It is particulary anoying on sand just as you reach the face of a dune the suspension lowers and you plough into the base of the dune.
It is claimed to be a safety feature to stop you rolling the car, but it is still more stable than most 4x 4s it off road height.
I think mantec have a system to allow you tyo choose your own height but it is real expensive. Sad
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #10244516th Nov 2006 11:32 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I can't really see how the suspension lowering 50mm is going to cause you to plough into a dune? Have you calculated the approach angle with such precision that the minor increase you'd get with the suspension up will make or break the ascent? Confused
 The End 

Last edited by Slimer on 16th Nov 2006 11:37 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #10244616th Nov 2006 11:36 pm
caverD3

oops Matzker Embarassed
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #10244716th Nov 2006 11:36 pm
steve_d3

The problem with all these special add-ons is that it could put the car out of warranty as per the purchase agreement? Sad

Post #10244816th Nov 2006 11:37 pm
caverD3

IT doen't stop you but it makes the differnce beteen the front riding over or ploghing the sand. Smile
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #10245016th Nov 2006 11:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >