Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Thoughts from the caravan gurus please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

80% is a recommendation only. No more than that.

Also:

- if you took a random sample of caravans on the road right now I'd guess 50% of them would be overloaded in the sense that their actual weight as measured on a weighbridge is over the MPTLM. But nobody checks and - generally - no harm is done.

- you need to look at noseweight. Many caravans these days are most comfortable with a noseweight in the 80-100 kg range. Many towcars are not. And trying to reduce the caravan noseweight by moving things to the rear is often counterproductive and leads to worse towing behaviour.

Post #19243899th Mar 2018 8:49 pm
KenR

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Brian, once again I quite agree, especially with your comments regarding overloading, what l still don’t know is where did the 80% come from and what was the criteria for arriving at that figure!

Post #19244229th Mar 2018 9:36 pm
gvw

England 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I believe it is guidance from the ncc and is filled by the caravan club etc
http://www.thencc.org.uk/downloads/NCC_Towing_Guide_0415.pdf
Thumbs Up

Edit - it's 85% for novices and 100% for more experienced tuggers

Post #19244449th Mar 2018 10:12 pm
gvw

England 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I've run a cc matching report for the Audi matched with a buccaneer having MTPLM of 1940kg to give an idea.
It shows it's ok to tow with caution and therefore if you lower the weight of the van the better it will be.
It also picks up on the nose weight issue highlighted by Brian
Click image to enlarge

Post #19244499th Mar 2018 10:22 pm
KenR

Sorry to be so pedantic, but a recommendation, which is all that the information in the above document, is, needs to be based on some facts. What are these facts? How did whoever made this decision decide that 80% was the appropriate ratio?
Also how experienced do you have to be to tow 3500 kgs with a Disco, which gives a ratio of approx 130%

Post #19244689th Mar 2018 11:43 pm
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

There's a world of difference between towing a 2 ton wobble box and a 2 ton Ifor Williams trailer.
Side winds and buffeting from buses and HGVs can push a caravan all over the place.
The Caravan Club made the newbies 85% recomendation years ago to take account of this. It wasn't based on any facts or calculations, rather just on experience.
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #192448210th Mar 2018 1:06 am
ammac

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

There are a number of different offense which have to be considered. If stopped the first thing checked is the plated weights. The caravan plate says 2000kg, the car kerb weight is 1985kg therefore the caravan maximum weight is heavier than the car min weight therefore making it illegal. Actual measured weights is a different offence. Trailer are different to caravans as they can be heavier than the minimum weight of the towing vehicle. Next it the train weight, if the car is fully load to its maximum weight then the maximum towing weight may be reduced. A lot of pickups fall foul of this nugget. Then the dreaded scales which measure the actual weights, this is being overloaded. Next you have you driving licence rules.

Best advice is to get the local caravan dealer to replace the caravan plated weight back to original thus make you legal if stopped.

Post #192448510th Mar 2018 3:55 am
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Got any links to back that statement up with? A link to the construction and use regs or road traffic act etc?

Why would a caravan being heavier than the tow vehicle be illegal if the plated and actual weights are within spec?

Post #192448610th Mar 2018 5:24 am
Erea

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

D4mation wrote:
There's a world of difference between towing a 2 ton wobble box and a 2 ton Ifor Williams trailer.

I fully agree, nothing compares to towing an ifor Williams with two or three Cows each weighing around 800kgs and they start doing “A siege of Venice” in the trailer.
As for nose weight... with a moving load with Cows the nose weights can go from plus 100’s of KGS to minus 100’s of KGS in a flash. Even stationary you could get sea sickness in the D3 with all the movement.

Post #192450910th Mar 2018 8:58 am
D4mation

ammac wrote:
There are a number of different offense which have to be considered. If stopped the first thing checked is the plated weights. The caravan plate says 2000kg, the car kerb weight is 1985kg therefore the caravan maximum weight is heavier than the car min weight therefore making it illegal. ............

A Discovery, like other heavy 4x4s, is designed to tow trailers heavier than its kerb weight.
Kerb weight is not stated on the car VIN plate, and in fact is almost impossible to determine as a "legal" number.

The only way to be illegal is if any of the VIN plate limits for both car and trailer have been exceeded (GVW, GTW, Axle1, Axle 2, MTPLM).
All the axles will need to be weighed to determine legality.
Plod will also check the car GVW and trailer MTPLM to establish whether there is an infringement of driving licence entitlements.
Edit: A caravan is a trailer and abides by the same weight laws.
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #192459010th Mar 2018 1:41 pm
ammac

J@mes wrote:
Got any links to back that statement up with? A link to the construction and use regs or road traffic act etc?

Why would a caravan being heavier than the tow vehicle be illegal if the plated and actual weights are within spec?

Hi James

I don't know why caravans and trailers are different but the following link is to the National Caravan Council's guide lines and on page 8, it covers car / caravan weights. The back page has DfT, DVLA and Highways Agency logos.

https://www.towcheck.co.uk/pdfs/Towing_Guide_Sept2014.pdf

You could go to public weight bridge every time you wish tow your caravan and carry the weight bridge certificate with you. Or the simpler method would be to go with the caravan maximum plated weight as stated. I also checked my Bailey Caravan handbook and it states the exact same.

I towed for years with the caravan's MTPLM weighting more that the kerb weight of the car and I am sure over the gross train weight for the car and caravan combination. A lot of people do but it too risky now as cops are cracking down on this, hence why I have disco.

The OP was concerned about be illegal therefore a sense of caution would make sense. I suspect the change of a metal plate to the original spec would be fraction of the cost of the penalty points and fine. Another consideration if you are pulled and charged, how do you get your caravan home? Big Cry

You could ask SWMBO to walk!!! Rolling with laughter

Post #192459410th Mar 2018 1:51 pm
ammac

[quote=A caravan is a trailer and abides by the same weight laws.[/quote]

I don't doubt that but if the caravan manufacturer says the towing vehicle kerb weight must be heavier than the maximum weight of their product to use their product safely then that extra requirement would have to be adhered to, I would have thought.

Quote:
Kerb weight is not stated on the car VIN plate, and in fact is almost impossible to determine as a "legal" number.

Yes it is not on the vin plate but in the Landrover's handbook which comes with the car it states the kerb weight for petrol as 2486-2704kg and for diesel as 2494-2718kg. I am sure the lowest kerb weight of 2486kg is heavier than any caravan which can be legally tow by a car in the UK.

Post #192459910th Mar 2018 2:14 pm
D4mation

Ammac - the point I'm making in support of the OP's question is that it is not illegal for the caravan MTPLM to be heavier than the car's kerb weight.

When DVSA stop a vehicle for loading checks they can only refer to plated weights and some scales, they won't be referring to any owner manuals.

Kerb weight is not a legally defined weight. Even on the same model of vehicle it will vary with the options fitted.
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #192465110th Mar 2018 4:30 pm
KenR

Amman - many Airstream caravans weigh in excess of 3000 kgs

Post #192466810th Mar 2018 5:24 pm
ammac

I would love an Airtream but I thought the problem is they are longer than 7.0 meters excluding the A frame rather than weight meaning you cannot tow them with a vehicle with a GVW of less than 3500kg. This would mean it need to be a commercial vehicle to tow them as no car is that heavy.

As previously stated I don't understand the reasoning behind the rules, I am going by advice given by the caravan manufacturers, the breakdown companies and recognised caravan organisations.

Post #192481410th Mar 2018 9:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >