Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

tick, tick, tick on overrun
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
al cope

England 
tick, tick, tick on overrun

I've noticed a tick, tick, tick (similar to a ticking tappet) which occurs after I've lifted off, but only when going downhill (so no load), still in drive. It doesn't do it every time, and sometimes is much loader than others. I cant replicate it other than how I've described it above. On one occasion I thought it stopped when I touched the brakes, but now I'm not so sure. It changes with road speed (faster speed, faster ticks). Its been there for a few months now, and I'm not sure if i should be worried about it, but trying to get something fixed that you cant quite explain to a LR service receptionist is like betting on England to win the world cup (it ain't gona happen!)

Ideas??

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #66296621st Jun 2010 1:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

A stone stuck in brakes should have cleared by now, so I suspect a failing CVJ. ££££ Big Cry
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #66296921st Jun 2010 1:34 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

the answer had better be "its normal" because I have had this for as long as I can remember... Shocked never thought anything of it...
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #66297121st Jun 2010 1:35 pm
al cope

England 

wouldnt I have a clonk on full lock at low speed if a CVJ was going ? (seen this on our pug 206)

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #66297621st Jun 2010 1:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tombuidhe

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I've had this since the car was new - I've been told it's only on Euro 4 models. It can be very irritating but I've found that if I turn the music up a notch or two I can't hear it Razz
 For I am a raindog too.  
Post #66298621st Jun 2010 2:08 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

A "clunk" when most or all the balls are worn or broken, so that the casting on one side hits casting on the other. If one ball only is damaged then a "tick" as the two ends move more than they should as that ball is not there.

If it is a bearing in the hub it should be noisy under most conditions. As the balls are smaller and there are more of them the noise is lower in tone, more of a rumble than a tick. You (or dealer) will start to be able to feel play with the wheel jacked off the ground.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #66298921st Jun 2010 2:13 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I have heard this too! Its very faint, happens a couple of seconds after lifting off the accelerator, and ticks about twice a second, for about 5 seconds then goes away, until the next time you lift off.

Mine has always done this. I really have no idea what it is, but I suppose it could be the brake booster vac pump, or an egr valve working?

Post #66299021st Jun 2010 2:14 pm
al cope

England 

mine is a euro 4 engine (09 model), its just that it seems more noticeable of late, and IMHO the more I notice something, the more likely its getting worse. Shocked

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #66301621st Jun 2010 3:27 pm
bambi

England 

Possible diesel knock, if they all do it, try putting in neutral and see if it is constant to road speed or engine, or little ends rattling, probably down to emissions, on the fuel mix and a touch of pre ignition.

Post #66304621st Jun 2010 5:04 pm
jojim65

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

This sounds familar, I have had the same, sounded like a dodgy tappet and started on the overrun at about 40mph, again went when I braked but wasn't brakes.

Had it checked out by LR and no fault found. This all happened with 2-3000 miles on the clock but now at 11000 no noise at all. Weird...

Post #66305321st Jun 2010 5:20 pm
al cope

England 

I'm at 17000 miles, and I'm sure it didnt start doing this until 14 or 15k miles.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #66305821st Jun 2010 5:31 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mine is 08.5 euro 4, and its now on 45k, it has done it as long as I can remember.

Its going to GS Stockport for a service on Wednesday, so I will ask them to have a listen.

Post #66306121st Jun 2010 5:34 pm
al cope

England 

cheers Gareth - let me know if its something I need fixing Thumbs Up

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #66306721st Jun 2010 5:42 pm
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Wierd! i noticed this on mine yesterday. Nice weather, window open, on over-run down hill.
Sounded just like ONE tappet & pretty loud. It increased in frequency as the speed increased down hill, but can't say whether this was related to speed or RPM. It stopped immediately on acceleration.

Can't hear anything with the car stationary on tickover.

Mine is an 08MY manual, 79k miles, 5k since service, oil level is fine.
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #66320421st Jun 2010 9:43 pm
Divlar

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I have also noticed a tick as you describe but only on start up when I have the door open. It ticks 5 or 6 times then thats it, don't hear anything after that? I have always had a scraping/ wooshing sound on overrun which I have assumed is the turbert doing something?

Post #66330522nd Jun 2010 8:29 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >