DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Timed Climate - What should I expect
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
pdes

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
Timed Climate - What should I expect

Team,

Need some education please. I have been playing with the Timed Climate Control (via remote) and have a few questions as I would like to understand how it works and what I should expect.

1) I tested the system this morning and the car interior started at -0.4. Twenty minutes later, it was + 4.5. Is this within the realms of expectation or should the cab have become warmer?

2) What's the effect on the engine? Is the temperature really raised enough to make the first few running miles more efficient?

3) What is the sequence of events? I hear many different things going on under the bonnet and for part of the cycle, there is a light flashing on the heater controls. Is there a full description anywhere of what is actually going on?

Cheers.
 D4 HSE MY2015
8 Speed
Causeway Grey
Towpack
Surround cameras (joke!)
Vision assist
Extended roof rails
Rear Ladder
Remote heat
Prospeed sliders with steps 

Post #103995322nd Jan 2013 11:29 am
Landylad

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Timed climate eh.... never heard of such a beast Laughing

Well, for starters, Wiggs among others will be able to give far better inisght, but from my experiences, you will see a slight increase in cabin temp. Bare in mind however, that it's quite a large space by volume, in which to heat. I think the true value is in being able to demist or defrost frozen windscreen. Don't expect to get in and find it a luxurious 21 deg. The FBH is just a small heater and obviously pumps out no where near the same heat capacity at an engine on full song. No idea what temp the water is expected to get up to over a 30 min cycle, but as long as it's enough to take the chill out of the air and defrost the front and side windows, that's as much as I hope for.

When it starts up, you'll obviously hear the whine of the FBH itself and then an orange light will flash on AC dial on the heater control panel. This means it's venting warm air.

Other than that, keep an eye on your battery. Use it often enough and you'll start to see the battery low warning come up on dash, meaning your FBH will shut down automatically.

Let us know how you get on.
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #103996522nd Jan 2013 12:12 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
FBH's

D3's & D4's have these (I am not aware quite what other LR produccts get as standard)...I do know that you can fit one as an aftermarket accessory in a Freelander 1 maybe the two as well.

Other makes of vehicles also use these & before these bcame popular a German company (I beleive part of BOSCH) called Eberspracher made a similar heater that was fitted to lots of vehicles as standard.

The whole idea is two fold:
1) to get the engine up to working temperature as quickly as possible...this is where its most efficient fuel wise & gives all its got to give.
2) allows the heater to come on asap...most D3's have a climate control system that uses a logic that only should put heat out (on Auto) when & if its available.....the reason why your heater may not deliver lots of air to anywhere until the colant temmperture is sufficient to do this...first the screen then the vehicle....you can hear it swap the deivery as the whole thing gets hotter.
The timed control system that you have could be from one of two sources:
A) early cars had a times function as standard...part of the Webasto installation...later cars (including mine) hadnt it was written out of the car software....I beleive some have attempted & succeeded in getting this back.
B) after market control systems that are fitted that take over a timed or remote start . you get a plipper or can use a mobile phone.

I am in two minds whether to fit the latter...nieghbours to me have this fitted to thier RRS & it looks cool to see the car defrosting itself in this type of weather - the FBH runs & so does the climate fan part of the system.
But I have heard horror stories about batteries being run down so you may have a warm car that then wont start (same nieghbour !) I had to jump start his vehicle.

Currently my vehicle starts very easily (relatively new battery) & does the electrically driven defrost thing within a couple or three minutes (screen, rear screen, mirrors, then heated seats) - the heater is blowing warm air within about 1 mile...assisted f course by the FBH coming in at the below 4 or 5 degree temps we have just now

So I guess you need to establish what system you have to get more data
I'm sure others will add to this to correct or add to what I have said..
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #103996822nd Jan 2013 12:19 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

Landylad wrote:
.....When it starts up, you'll obviously hear the whine of the FBH itself and then an orange light will flash on AC dial on the heater control panel. This means it's venting warm air.....

Censored me I have neve seen that !
 BREXIT - done properly.
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.

Post #103996922nd Jan 2013 12:21 pm
pdes

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Landylad wrote:
Timed climate eh.... never heard of such a beast Laughing

Well, for starters, Wiggs among others will be able to give far better inisght,.

Yep, Wiggs set up the remote for me - a very cold evening on the A14! I'll remember that for a long time. Shocked

Just to be clear, the Timed Climate is the standard set up on the 2012 HSE so not an aftermarket fix.

Thanks for the responses.
 D4 HSE MY2015
8 Speed
Causeway Grey
Towpack
Surround cameras (joke!)
Vision assist
Extended roof rails
Rear Ladder
Remote heat
Prospeed sliders with steps 

Post #103997122nd Jan 2013 12:30 pm
azurar01

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Hi pdes,

Quote:
3) What is the sequence of events? I hear many different things going on under the bonnet and for part of the cycle, there is a light flashing on the heater controls. Is there a full description anywhere of what is actually going on?

Check out

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...tion~9.pdf

It comes from this thread.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic43944.html?highlight=fbh
 D4 SDV6 HSE 11MY - Gone
D3 TDV6 HSE 08MY - Gone 

Post #103997222nd Jan 2013 12:31 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

BLFarrar wrote:
Landylad wrote:
.....When it starts up, you'll obviously hear the whine of the FBH itself and then an orange light will flash on AC dial on the heater control panel. This means it's venting warm air.....

Censored me I have neve seen that !

because hes talking about "timed climate " not FBH and he has a "D4 " not a D3 Whistle
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #103997422nd Jan 2013 12:36 pm
BLFarrar

wiggs wrote:
and he has a "D4 " not a D3...

sorry didnt look at the type of vehicle
the PDF is very interesting as regards the way the system actually controls itself...
Thanks
 BREXIT - done properly.

Post #103997722nd Jan 2013 12:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >