Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Tin tent options
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
stew 46

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3
Tin tent options

Ok wise tin tenters , we are thinking ( only thinking ) of getting one later in the year , and I’m wondering if the fixed bed option that we like is worth it as don’t fancy packing the bed up every morning Big Cry , not got a big budget by any means and not sure I want to sell my extensive camping set up as at only 57 I’m still a sprung chicken Whistle

Any thoughts on the different options and benefits would be great thanks Thumbs Up

🥟 stew
 -------------------------------------------------
if you cant hold on dont let go , it ill come in handy for something even if you never use it.
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
ausa dumper, muck truck .
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #229234920th May 2022 11:31 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ivan

United Kingdom 

Our personal preference is for an end bedroom with a fixed bed and a mid bathroom. Like this one
It allows visitors to use the bathroom without having to go through the bedroom. You can also use the bathroom an an en-suite
Also make sure it's got Alde heating, would not be without it once tried.
 2013 RR Vogue SE SDV8
2013 Freelander 2 HSE Luxury SD4 

Post #229235020th May 2022 11:39 am
pgerman

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

We opted for fixed bunks for the kids meaning the bed has to made/put away and to be honest its a drag. I tend to fall asleep on the sofa when away and having to get up and make the bed is not ideal.

Now it would just be me and SWMBO I would certainly go for a fixed bed.

Post #229235220th May 2022 11:44 am
Journeyman

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I would echo pgerman's comments. We have the same set up as we have a 12 year old (despite only being couple of years younger than Stew) so he has a fixed bunk. We tend to just sleep on the sofa with sleeping bags as it is less hassle as it is a PITA putting the bed away every morning. We would love a fixed bed though - and probably more comfortable.

You also don't have to spend a fortune as our tin tent is a 1998 and came from an elderly owner who had cherished it. It does everything we need and we're not too precious about the dog and smelly child... or should that be the other way round! Laughing

Damp is your enemy with caravans although less so with more modern construction methods.
 Cheers,

Jez

Discovery 3 HSE Stornaway Grey
MY 2008 2.7 TDV6

Discovery 2 2003 - gone 

Post #229235920th May 2022 12:18 pm
BBDisco3

United Kingdom 

Here we go Stew - fixed bed and you don't even need to bend to get through the door Thumbs Up

Post #229236020th May 2022 12:21 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

Journeyman wrote:
I would echo pgerman's comments. We have the same set up as we have a 12 year old (despite only being couple of years younger than Stew) so he has a fixed bunk. We tend to just sleep on the sofa with sleeping bags as it is less hassle as it is a PITA putting the bed away every morning. We would love a fixed bed though - and probably more comfortable.

+1 again

For the two of you, fixed bed is brilliant. I love my fixed double and it's really comfy and nice to have a separate bedroom. Recommended.

However, knowing what I know now, and with young kids, our next van will sacrifice this for them to have their own bedroom at the back end instead, with a bathroom in the middle. And we will just sleep on the benches at the front which sometimes I do anyway if I'm sitting up late watching a film etc. To be fair some of these layouts are a much newer phenomenon.

This is what I'm buying next https://www.baileyofbristol.co.uk/touring-...oenix-760/
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #229236420th May 2022 12:42 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Fixed bed Stew. Nothing worse than trying to make up a bed when you’ve had a few beers!

Our Elddis Affinity 540 has a fixed end bedroom, then a mid shower room, then a door. Which means swmbo can go for an early night and leave me in the lounge area with telly and a few beers. Perfect!

Post #229237020th May 2022 1:04 pm
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

fixed bed all the way just check the bed length although fom memory that shouldnt be an issue for you Laughing

personally we like the end washroom and a side fixed bed but it can be an issue for the one sleeping against the wall if there the drinker and up a few times in the night for a pee ...all that bulmers has got to go somewhere fella

our latest want is for a transverse bed with end washroom but only on the wider newish models so struggling to justify the outlay but i can see that happening in time. final choise will be dependant on personal lifestyle so think throught the layouts ,,if the missus tends to go to bed earlier than you then fixed bed is a no brainer and the only way to go .good luck
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #229237520th May 2022 1:45 pm
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Fixed beds certainly have their uses however they can be awkward to move around as space can be tighten.Ours converts to a 'day bed's easier to walk around.

Brendan

Post #229237720th May 2022 2:11 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Had this layout on our now departed van [Sterling Eccles SE Coral].
It really worked for us, but it was only for two.
Nice big washroom, bed was out the way [& separated off] and had swivel TV to bedroom or kitchen, "L" lounge at front with removeable table, separte dining/hobby area to side.

Click image to enlarge
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #229237820th May 2022 2:32 pm
riverblanche

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi,

What ever option you go for will have a compromise somewhere else Confused

Side bathrooms can be smaller than end ones or make the space "feel" tighter as you walk past it

For the 2 of us the layouts that have suited us the most has been an old buccaneer elan end kitchen, side bathroom beds at front (they were really easy to make the double up no little cushions to move about)
And
A 4 berth Bailey with doubles to make up front and rear, we would make up the rear double and leave it up with a door across to shut off the bed, you could still use the whole van and use front as singles or a bit bigger double if you wanted, compromise was side bathroom shower had less room
Now
Swmbo wanted a bigger bathroom/shower so end bathroom, make up double at front which only needs the 2 back cushions dropping into the middle all other cushions stop where they are (Bailey Senator arizona) and the dog gets the side bottom bunk made up Shocked

For us fixed beds seem to take up a lot of the space of the van !

Happy Hunting and make the bed up Before you go for a Shandy Whistle

Thumbs Up
 Transit! 2019
Gone D3 HSE 2008
Another Porsche Cayenne 2022
Gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
Gone RRS HSE Dynamic 2016
Gone RRS HSE LUX 2011
Gone RRS HSE 2006
Gone D3 SE 2.7 2008
gone D2 Td5 1999

I plan on living forever and so far so good !

Club DG Mclaren stuff

Post #229238720th May 2022 4:34 pm
Dexter

Scotland 

Hi, we’ve just changed vans after 12 years in a 6 berth Sterling, our bed at the front had to be made up but to be honest this wasn’t really a big deal and the size and comfort of the big bed made up for the hassle.

Now the kids aren’t interested in coming with us so the time was right to get a newer van. The fixed double beds were all very appealing. But as we’re both over 6 feet tall we just couldn’t get one to fit unless we went to an 8’ wide van which we didn’t fancy for various reasons. The beds were either too short or had a cut away or two at the ends. As it will be the 2 of us form now on we didn’t fancy the mid wash room either.

We saw a Bailey with twin single beds, both 6’3” long (perfect), wash room at the back, full size fridge, Alde heating etc, and that was that.

We picked up our Unicorn V Cadiz last month and are delighted with it after several nights away.

It tows like a dream too despite going back to a single axle.

Dex

Post #229239320th May 2022 5:31 pm
stew 46

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Well It looks like I’ll be bringing this one home tomorrow Shocked, must have looked at 100 tin tents Big Cry , but this one has the lay out we want and the price tag is ok also so let’s see what happens tomorrow

Thumbs Up
 -------------------------------------------------
if you cant hold on dont let go , it ill come in handy for something even if you never use it.
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
ausa dumper, muck truck .
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #22980961st Jul 2022 10:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

That looks like a fine van Stew.

Happy “camping” Thumbs Up
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #22980971st Jul 2022 10:34 pm
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

side fixed bed with end washroom id say from the window position good choice Thumbs Up
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #22984464th Jul 2022 4:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >