DISCO4.COM > Group Buys

Titan air jack
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Russell

United Kingdom 
Titan air jack

Hi

I have had a reply to my first e mail to the company selling/making the Titan air jack. They are happy to supply to England and have given me the following info.
3 ton jack price is $67.00 for a purchase of ten or more.The carraige cost would be $40-45 each unit. If we were looking to do a group buy of 50 or more they would reduce the unit cost by 25%.
Now by my reconing at the current US dollar rate if we got together and did a group buy of 50 plus they would work out around £60.00 each including carraige, may well be able to get the carriage price down further if we do do a group buy. If we go ahead with this and se up a group but I would suggets that we should also include an additional charge into this price by means of a donation to the site. Any thoughts or questions you want to put to the man in the USA.
One last point, I have no connection with the company what so ever and am only trying to see if we can get a good deal for those intrested on this site.

Russell.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #36649029th Oct 2008 4:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
flinty99

England 

Just remember to add any import duties into your calculations - otherwise you could end up with an unexpected bill.

Post #36650129th Oct 2008 4:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Moved in here ...Russell don't forget to contact Martin before proceeding Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 29th Oct 2008 4:37 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #36650529th Oct 2008 4:36 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

If you are just having a single item sent to you for your own use do you still have to pay the duties?
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #36650629th Oct 2008 4:36 pm
flinty99

England 

ISTR that if the package is marked as gift (or something along that line) then there is no duty.

I'm by no means an expert in importing things but was simply highlighting a potential watchout. I'm sure others who have imported goods can share what they have found out,

Post #36651529th Oct 2008 4:51 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I do import goods from the US regularly. I think you may have trouble persuading customs that products sent from a commercial seller are 'gifts'. The normal routine is for the customs people to make their own judgement as to the use and value of the goods before applying the relevant tax band. (different goods are taxed at different rates). If you have an account with HM Customs and Excise you'll then get a bill later for tax owed. If you don't have an account I think they apply the cost to the shipping company, so the goods don't get released until the extra tax is paid. Sometimes, if the good are shipped with a declared value of zero, you could get away with tax but they are liable to spot checks and the items can be confiscated!

I'm not an import expert, so stand to be corrected on any of this by someone who is!

Thumbs Up
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #36653829th Oct 2008 5:15 pm
Bornslippy

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I seem to recall that if the tax is < £7 or so then it is waived - so in theory there might be not import tax on individual items, but then again the carriage would more than compensate.

Count me in, especially if we could get delivery by Christmas...
 Very Black 07 HSE. Sometimes with added mud. Sometimes towing a boat. Always grinning. 

Last edited by Bornslippy on 31st Oct 2008 8:48 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #36656329th Oct 2008 6:14 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Just looking to see how much intrest there would be before I go any further. Will try to find out more about import duty first. Has anybody used one on the Titan air jacks before? Are they any good? No point in finding more out if they are rubbish.
D4 camera club 

Post #36668029th Oct 2008 10:18 pm
Bornslippy

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Tumbleweed...

Anyone else ?
 Very Black 07 HSE. Sometimes with added mud. Sometimes towing a boat. Always grinning.  
Post #36725031st Oct 2008 8:49 am
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I'm interested. But also interested in any feedback though. Especially as other airjacks seem to go for almost double this price.
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #36731931st Oct 2008 12:17 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I found a couple of articles on the web.

Russell - are you sure about prices ? One article stated that starting prices was $120.

see here:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/02/pump-it...h-exhaust/
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #36732131st Oct 2008 12:24 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

How tough are they?

Our Mountain Rescue Team would go for two having seen my Takla (which cost a bit more Whistle ) and were thinking of that sort of cost level. As a purely voluntary (and VAT exempt - can we pull that? Very Happy ) organisation, the level of saving would be most welcome, but not if the things pop when used offroad on fully loaded Defender 110s...

So... potential TWO here.... dependent on views of toughness...

Andy
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #36732331st Oct 2008 12:25 pm
ronald.soak

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

My experience of personal import not too good.
Item purchased from USA , for £75.40, inc carriage, and delivered by FedEX followed by request for duty, tax and admin fee, totalling £25.83.
Procedure seems to be: FedEx, on behalf of Customs take invoice value and if it does not show carriage add on their standard carriage rate. Duty is applied to the total and then VAT applied to that new total. Finally an admin charge of £6.80 was added.
My item was a measurement instrument rather than car tool so the rate of duty (I think mine was about 6%)might be different but the VAT will be the same 17.5%.
It pays to get the carriage charged explicitly shown on the customs invoice. I paid $15 carriage but not knowing this FedEx suggested I pay duty and Vat on £37.
FedEx procedure and duty rates are available on the Web.

Post #36732931st Oct 2008 12:49 pm
saw

United Kingdom 

My own experience with air jacks is' yer gets wot yer pays for' always bare in mind the weight of the base vehicle D3= approx 2.7 tons + your load,winch , roof rack etc. Are you using it for a straight lift on tarmac or off road where the ground may be uneven or rutted and contain sharp flints or rocks and will you use it to rock or push the D3 to one side out of a problem. Also take into account inflation time and ease of deflating/stowage/weight etc. Try viewing www.air-jack.com cost is approx £350, but it does what its says on the label!! Thumbs Up

Post #36737431st Oct 2008 3:27 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

AndrewW wrote:
...... Mountain Rescue Team ...... ..... when used offroad on fully loaded Defender 110s..

Not much tarmac there.... Whistle

The Takla looks tougher than the Airjack for (IFIRC) less pennies.
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #36742731st Oct 2008 5:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >