Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Today's missive from the Environment Agency
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
PeanutBob

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
Today's missive from the Environment Agency

Had l letter today from those charlatans at the Environment Agency to the effect that if I live within 8 metres of a river, or stream - which I do - I must inform them before starting any of the following activities:

decking or putting up fences
erecting buildings or other structures
planting trees or shrubs
storing any other materials.

As I step out of my conservatory i will be within 8 metres of a stream. So, I will be contacting this quango immediately to inform them of any shrub plantings in this area. So, I will require an inspection several times a week for the next 3 months. So, 12 weeks x 2 = 24 inspections x £100 per hour x 2 people for verification - £4800.00 per 3 months per household potentially.

I religiously dredge the stream, which the local NT wardens are unable to do because they cannot get their hands dirty, so well i Censored give up. Censored country and Censored government.

Post #45872824th Apr 2009 11:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
robsmith

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

So this is the latest slant on stealth taxes.

Nice little earner, the trouble is with those sort of costs most are going to "forget" to fill in the paperwork and the scheme, which no doubt has good intent, will join others that cost more to run than it will recoup.
What of the old boy who has a nice row of spuds, a few fruit trees and bushes backing onto the stream at the bottom of his garden who decides to replace some of the old trees and bushes with new ones. Is he going to pay £4800 extra just to keep his trees up to scratch - I shouldn't think so, but its he's the sort of victim this tax will hit.
 Rob Smith
Silver rools OK

Post #45876525th Apr 2009 8:18 am
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

PeanutBob,

can you redirect the stream Whistle
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #45876725th Apr 2009 8:27 am
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Maybe peanut bob can clarify this, but my reading of his post was that it was an example of government wasting money rather than additional taxation. Confused

Either way it is a complete joke, and another example how much this government are wanting to control every aspect of our lives, and monitor everything we do. I fear that President Blair, comrade Brown and their cohorts have Censored up this country as a decent place to live forever Big Cry
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #45876925th Apr 2009 8:29 am
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

It's that word "forever" that strikes a chord - and a chill in the heart...

I used to say "the lunatics have taken over the asylum" (OK - it's not very original but pretty apt) but I've replaced that with "the monkeys have taken over the zoo".

Difference is, you have NO CHANCE AT ALL of reasoning with monkeys. All they do is chatter, fight among themselves, have sex everywhere and screw up their/our surroundings. Forever.

QED

PS Happy St Phaebadius' Day (missed St George... b Censored r!)
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #45877225th Apr 2009 8:43 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PeanutBob

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

SJR,yes I was indicating the potential cost to the taxpayer of two EA inspectors arriving to inspect any shrub or whatever that I may plant in the future. I am sorely tempted to ring them every other day to request inspections until they get fed up with me, but I suspect that I will be the loser due to spending hours on the phone pressing this for that and being transferred round the shop. I find it utterly remarkable that this piece of Censored should arrive two days after the Budget. It's probably not remarkable thinking about it, it's just indicative of the complete lack of sanity from Whitehall.

Post #45877425th Apr 2009 8:54 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

What a bunch of whiners Rolling Eyes The Riperian system has always included your rights and responsibilities and the EA has done a great deal in cleaning up the pollution caused by householder tipping their crap into rivers and streams.

And if you want to moan about this government quango then talk to the conservatives ...because they created it Thumbs Up

....just get on with it Rolling Eyes Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #45878625th Apr 2009 10:41 am
saw

United Kingdom 

Easy way out is to become an inspector,it will cost you nothing and you will get lots of pleasure out of making peoples lives a misery Thumbs Up

Preserve wildlife....Pickle a Squirrel !

Post #45879625th Apr 2009 11:48 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >