Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Top Tailgate
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Angel1403

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Top Tailgate

I am the only person that wishes LR had lefy the tailgate as it was on the Disco 2?

I find it a pain to get items in and out of the back due to the bottom tailgate, and the top tailgate always needs a good "bang" to shut properly Crying or Very sad

I think the side opening door on the previous models was far better.........as long as you had room behind you to open it Wink

Cheers

Allan Smile

Post #9607721st Oct 2006 6:12 pm
DiscoStu

England 

Ummm, yeah. Confused

I really love the split tailgate. Its great for the kids (for sitting them on etc). Always found lack of room behind the old car meant you couldn't open it properly. Mind you, nearly walked into the top section once - that would have changed my mind!
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #9608621st Oct 2006 6:25 pm
Beaker

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I am extremely happy with the D3 tailgate. One of the many great things of the D3 is sitting on your lower tailgate, being protected from rain by the upper part. Very Happy I never had a Disco 2, but the door will probably be opening to the to the wrong (i.e. curb) side for us driving and parking on the right (wrong for you) side of the road. I know my Suzuki Jimny does Sad
 Zermatt Silver 2006 Zermatt Silver TDV6 'SE' Auto, Mantec sump guard, Frontrunner roofrack, Lightforce 140s, split charge system and... a Jetboil.
Powered by  

Post #9608721st Oct 2006 6:26 pm
SN

I have mixed feelings about the tailgate - as Stu will testify Wink , my height means that for me too the lower tailgate can interfere with getting stuff in and out - but equally there's no chance of me banging my head on the top bit! Razz Much better then the opening door is a big full size tailgate like I had on my C8 - you could hold a party under it in the rain! Laughing Laughing
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #9610221st Oct 2006 7:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Angel1403

Ok

Ok I guess I am the odd one out Laughing

I just dont like banging the top tailgate shut.

It is handy to sit on..........It reminds me of my days with the Range Rover 4.2 LSE..........Now that was a beast Wink

Boy...........could it drink!!!

Cheers

Allan Smile

Post #9610821st Oct 2006 7:41 pm
Beaker

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

My top-half tailgate doesn't require much force to shut it. Maybe the lock on yours needs some adjustment?
My driver-side door needs a lot of force to close, and when shut it is closed a littele bit deeper than the rear door, so I need to have that lock adjusted myself. Something similar could be wrong with your tailgate lock...
 Zermatt Silver 2006 Zermatt Silver TDV6 'SE' Auto, Mantec sump guard, Frontrunner roofrack, Lightforce 140s, split charge system and... a Jetboil.
Powered by  

Post #9610921st Oct 2006 7:48 pm
DiscoStu

England 

With me its my front passenger door. Or SWMBO. Very Happy

I used to have a 3.9 Vogue. Never got into double figures mpg-wise. 8) car though!
 Disco 5 HSE Lux

Post #9611221st Oct 2006 7:51 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

I'd got the impression from another thread on this site that the need for a hefty shove on closing was due to the hermetic properties of the car seals - you're compressing the interior atmosphere slightly when closing. Having said that, there's probably some variations in the action of the catch, so perhaps a squirt of WD40 or other lube in the relevant spot might help.

On the subject of the split, it was one of the features on the car to me - the children like sitting on it when changing footware and I find it easier to shove bulky gear in and out without fear of the wind catching and closing a side-hinged door (as it tends to on my SII, even with the spare wheel adding to the inertia). I can see that the vertically-challenged might like a pull cord on the top hatch, but it makes an excellent roof when sitting on the bottom section, watching school matches.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #9611421st Oct 2006 7:59 pm
Angel1403

Open Door

Yea, I was thinking about opening a door before I shut the top hatch Smile

Cheers

Allan

Post #9611621st Oct 2006 8:05 pm
DiscoStu

England 

DrLex wrote:
the need for a hefty shove on closing was due to the hermetic properties of the car seal.

I'd agree with that. That's why SWMBO can't shut her door..... Have to say that I've never noticed it with the tail gate though.
 Disco 5 HSE Lux

Post #9611721st Oct 2006 8:06 pm
MJ

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I agree with you Angel - the side opening door on the Disco 2 was much better! Easier to load larg items with the split tailgate? - Bulls**t!! If you open the top only you stand a good chance of damaging paintwork etc as you lift your gear in. Open the bottom and instantly you can't reach anywhere near far enough inside. Landrover even come up with that daft sliding floor thingy - so even then are acknowledging the shortcomings! My tailgate opens and shuts OK - no problem - but there is just much more to it than that. The lower tailgate is a nice place to sit and eat your lunch during a day out, but thats about it.

The other things I really miss are the big storage panniers on either side of the loadspace of the Disco 2 (mine was a commercial) - they were just fantastic! Those tiny bins on the Disco 3 are a bad joke by comparison!
 Arctic Frost TDV6 5-seat
Terrain response
Climate control
Xenons
(Yes, it's an odd spec - but I like it!) 

Post #9611821st Oct 2006 8:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Laura

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Re: Top Tailgate

Angel1403 wrote:
I am the only person that wishes LR had lefy the tailgate as it was on the Disco 2?

I find it a pain to get items in and out of the back due to the bottom tailgate, and the top tailgate always needs a good "bang" to shut properly Crying or Very sad

I think the side opening door on the previous models was far better.........as long as you had room behind you to open it Wink

Cheers

Allan Smile

I do love the new tailgate and the fact that the 7 seats are all proper seats and forward facing. No comparison really. But the the old tailgate was easier for me. I use the 7 seats every morning but I also transport computer equipment later in the day. This means a lot of putting the seats up and down during the day and I did not have to do this with the old Discovery. I do miss this about the old car but I wouldn't swap back.

Post #9611921st Oct 2006 8:06 pm
Angel1403

The back

What gets me its the fact that I cant reach the back of the boot!!!

I mean who designs a boot that you cant reach the back of Laughing

They should have made the top tailgate all in one. Though, it may have been pretty heavy?

Oh well in reality there are som many great things about the D3 I can live with it Smile

Cheers

Allan

Post #9612021st Oct 2006 8:18 pm
SN

Agree with that last sentiment - I get to it from a rear side door by flipping one of the 2nd row seats.
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #9612321st Oct 2006 8:25 pm
MJ

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I agree as well to be honest - I mean, the D3 is the smoothest truck I've ever ridden in; It tows a heavy trailer like nothing else, and the Terrain Response is just fabulous technology (that works!!), but I really wish they'd done something different with the back end! Ho Hum!!!!
 Arctic Frost TDV6 5-seat
Terrain response
Climate control
Xenons
(Yes, it's an odd spec - but I like it!) 

Post #9612621st Oct 2006 8:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >