Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

BCM/CJB died after attempted flash. ****FIXED****
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
stchris

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
BCM/CJB died after attempted flash. ****FIXED****

Hi guys, again I'm here after your help!!!!
As above really, tried reflashing my bcm with the only software option available for my vin on Genesis.

All went ok with the flash, got the instruction to cycle the ignition after a successful flash then anything that is bcm controlled is now dead, car wont start, no central locking,windows inop or immobiliser light under rev counter.

Tried to reflash but unable to communicate with the bcm/cjb, after some searching I have tried several hard resets and the fuse method with no success but I have read that someone with a near identical problem managed to reflash theirs with a different diagnostic tool (mines Nanocom Evolution).

Any ideas please?????

Here's what happens when I try to reflash, sorry about the picture quality and the noise is me chewing gum!!!(or pulling my hair out)

Thanks again Bow down Bow down Bow down
P.S Those of you on the Nanocom forum, there's a bit more info on there!

Last edited by stchris on 17th Feb 2014 10:42 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #12340189th Feb 2014 8:58 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Did you have the car on charge when you did the flashing.?.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #12340309th Feb 2014 9:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

There are recovery instructions on the forum in another dead CJB thread Thumbs Up

Worth a try before splashing out on a new CJB Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #12340319th Feb 2014 9:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I still hold to the thought that major reprogramming should be left to the brace of forum sponsors that have this down to a fine art. It can induce A-level stress when it goes wrong.

These things are usually recoverable by the knowledgable. I hope this gets sorted for you as soon as possible.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #12340359th Feb 2014 9:12 pm
stchris

Tbh Flack it wasn't on charge but the battery is new and fully charged.

Mikey the only other methods I found was hard reset and fuse 15/16 removal with no success!

Post #12340399th Feb 2014 9:16 pm
tomtom86

Not much use to you now Chris but any flashing of ecus without a decent battery support unit connected is playing with fire even with a fully charged battery. Hope you can resolve it without a new cjb, good luck

Post #12340439th Feb 2014 9:20 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

LR recommend a 50 amp power source for reprogramming but experience has shown a 25 amp source is good enough. Going without is for those who like to roll the dice.

Hindsight for you I know but for anyone else contemplating reprogramming please use a good power source as the car pulls serious amps when reprogramming.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #12340479th Feb 2014 9:21 pm
StornowayStu

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3

And if it's not broken, think twice about fixing it. Generally there aren't any "new features" by flashing to a later version and as Colin has pointed out in the past, although the boot loader should allow you to re-flash a failed attempt, there is the finite possibility that that you run into some corruption which can't be undone due to a chip issue in the ECU concerned....

Post #123415210th Feb 2014 2:32 am
will247

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic106210....p;start=30

10th Post down.... See how that does?
 26 and on the 4th LR..
Series 2a 1963 88'' 2.25 Derv as original with Galv chassis
Disco 1 1996 V8 on LPG (sold now)
Disco 3 2005 TDV6 S (sold now)
Disco 4 MY15 XS Commercial

Post #123416110th Feb 2014 7:22 am
stchris

Cheers mate, yes I read that earlier.
I just need to find someone with a IID tool Whistle

Post #123425410th Feb 2014 1:11 pm
Dusty

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

For the computer 'numtys' amongst us, of which I place myself firmly at the top of the league. Is reflashing where an update is released for the nanocom (or whatever system) and after said update the system is loaded to the vehicle and on a few occasions it can go a bit pear shaped so to speak?

If I'm on the right lines with my assumptions how long before a system is 'complete'. I have given serious thought to purchasing one of these systems but would rather buy one that is virtually the finished article, for fear of making a right royal f##k up of my vehicle Embarassed

I understand to a certain extent they will always be room for improvement as things progress, but I just wondered if they reach a point were a complete fool like myself can just plug them in and go about playing without fear of ecu Armageddon!!
 Discovery 4 HSE
SDV6

Post #123429910th Feb 2014 2:53 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Considered buying something like these gadgets, well for about 30 micro seconds. Too much potential to turn the car into a paperweight, if peeps that have much more techie knowledge than me manage to kill the car what hope have I got. Much better to pay for the services of someone that knows what they are doing and can cope with the unexpected. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #123430710th Feb 2014 3:02 pm
albal

United Kingdom 

stchris wrote:
Cheers mate, yes I read that earlier.
I just need to find someone with a IID tool Whistle

Don't think any of the tools reflash the bootloader, doubt it's even possible to so it's hard to turn the disco into a brick. Brick being irrecoverable by any means.

I have an IID tool but it's single VIN and I'm far from you too. As well as the power supply option you can also do the flash getting a jump off another car or van - but you need to ensure it is fully charged too and can supply the juice required.

Post #123431910th Feb 2014 3:27 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I fully understand that my comments may seem biased, but please read them, consider the facts and make up your own mind.

I fully appreciate that reports of two dead CJB's after re flashing in such a short time after the introduction of the Nanocom Evolution may well make it seem like there may be a problem with this particular piece of equipment and as such leading to members making comments like.

Quote:
how long before a system is 'complete'. I have given serious thought to purchasing one of these systems but would rather buy one that is virtually the finished article

and

Quote:
I just need to find someone with a IID tool

However in the other dead CJB / BCU thread linked to www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic106210.html
This event occurred with an MSV-2 which has been used for re flashing for many years, is as complete, fully tried and tested, and is in fact the only tool extensively capable of this kind of Re Flashing Diagnostic ability until the Nanocom Evolution. It is without doubt the tool of choice of

Quote:
the brace of forum sponsors that have this down to a fine art.

So i humbly submit and suggest that the cause of such failures as this is not actually down to the equipment, but more likely other factors that the afore mentioned Brace are understood to have down to a fine art.

Although the primary and secondary boot loader technology Ford build into these ECU's should protect against such flashing failures resulting in possibly unrecoverable ECU's, clearly it is not totally fool proof. So re flashing the core operating system into any ECU still carries a risk akin to most electronics, and as Stuart and i have endlessly stated Re flashing should not be done without good cause or reason to do so. And i will not even ask the why in these cases as i can pretty much guess the answers.

And of course as pretty much everyone knows
Quote:
but any flashing of ECUs without a decent battery support unit connected is playing with fire even with a fully charged battery.

you really should not get into any Reflashing without providing a decent power supply.

In the Nanocom Evolution BBS has provided a diagnostic tool with truly immense capability at a fraction of the normal cost that incorporates our years of experience, technical knowledge and expertise and i think it has to be said that we know what we are doing.
But we obviously cannot control the circumstances, reasons and situations in which our equipment is used.

As some have posted, having such power and capability may seem scary stuff, but in my many years of experience, those that feel this way rarely have any trouble Whistle

Post #123441910th Feb 2014 7:23 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I can only echo what Colin has posted, I have over a few years flashed hundreds of different ecu's on D3, D4's and RRS's and in all that time I have had one ecu fail on me, I sent the ecu away for testing and it was found to be completely dead.

I have had a few BT modules that have failed but these are known to be fragile anyway, but as always only update an ecu if your having problems or want the software changed to give you a new feature.

Its easy to blame the tools, but when dealing with sensitive electronics it is essential that the battery is in good health and fully charged, and that you have a power supply capable of keeping up with the cars demand when you start to upgrade any ecu, even a set of jump leads from another car with the engine running is better than no supply at all.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #123443910th Feb 2014 8:02 pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Back to top
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >