Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Front Driveshafts - Replace torn boot, or replace shaft?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
disco chris

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Front Driveshafts - Replace torn boot, or replace shaft?

Hi folks, looking for your thoughts on this...

I noticed by NSF outer cv boot was torn at the weekend and grease has been sent flying over the brake lines and the inside of the wheel. It wasn't like that 2 weeks ago, and I've driven about 250 miles with it leaking I would guess. Not in wet conditions.

I need it fixed this week ASAP as have some long journeys coming up. Busy with work and have no access to garage or driveway this week as back in London, so need to take it to my local mechanic.

My question is: do I just go and get the boot replaced (mechanic sucked his teeth a bit and said could be about 3 hours labour, I do trust him though, never had an issue yet), or should I look to just bite the bullet and get both front driveshafts replaced given the car has done almost 250,000 miles and is still on the originals?

How much longer could I expect the driveshafts to last?

Thanks,

Chris

Post #234504014th Aug 2023 8:58 am
Marshall8hp

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Mine did a boot about 4 weeks ago. Just did the boot, no issues, 90 mins labour.

Post #234504414th Aug 2023 9:54 am
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Front Driveshafts - Replace torn boot, or replace shaft?

disco chris wrote:

My question is: do I just go and get the boot replaced (mechanic sucked his teeth a bit and said could be about 3 hours labour, I do trust him though, never had an issue yet), or should I look to just bite the bullet and get both front driveshafts replaced given the car has done almost 250,000 miles and is still on the originals?

How much longer could I expect the driveshafts to last?

Thanks,

Chris

Complete shafts are not expensive but you wouldn't ordinarily change them complete without having due cause. Lifetime varies wildly depending on how the vehicle has been used, so asking "how long will they last" is like asking how long is a piece of string!

You could just replace the boot and refill the grease, but there may now be further wear on the already worn cv joint as it was exposed to grit and elements. So given you have to disassemble the shaft anyway, a wiser choice would be to replace the complete CV joint. If preventative maintenance is your thing, and given you do have "due cause" you could opt to replace the complete shaft on that side and be done with it hopefully for many years. A Britpart shaft is around £100 or so and will be a bit quicker than replacing the boot or cv joint.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #234507214th Aug 2023 3:13 pm
loanrangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I found a split boot on a Saturday so with no chance of getting a set before Monday i went to a self serve wrecker and got a good shaft out of an RRS and fitted it on my drive, i'm going to order a full boot set then change them out later and keep the shaft as a spare.

Post #234513915th Aug 2023 4:29 am
disco chris

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks all, and thanks PROFSR G for the explanation of the other options. I wasn't aware that you could change the CV joint separately from the whole driveshaft. This time round I have just replaced the boot and will see how I get on - if things deteriorate I will probably look to replace the CV joint myself. Went for the lower cost option this time though as I think I have a few larger items coming up!

This one was fairly urgent as it's got the MOT in a couple of weeks and I'm not sure the tester would have liked the look of the grease everywhere...

Post #234525016th Aug 2023 9:25 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >