Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

RSE and USB
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
edwardandtubs

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
RSE and USB

In MY2012 I've placed the USB stick in the socket of the centre cubby and managed to get some kids movies to play successfully play on the screen in the front, however I cant fathom out how to get the rear screens to play them?.

Am I missing something?
 Discovery 4 HSE Luxury Santorini MY12
Discovery 3 GS Manual Java MY07 ( gone )
Mini Cooper S 

Post #145621910th Apr 2015 8:25 am
Dudleydisco

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Yes! You can only play USB content on the rear screens if you connect the stick to the REAR USB socket and then select USB on the RSE Remote.

If you want to get the audio through the speakers, rather than using the headphones, then you need to select Limo Mode on the touchscreen settings, and then Take Control of the audio using the RSE remote.

I don't know how old your kids are, but the RSE system was obviously designed for adults/older children who would be capable of using the remote. My daughter's only 3, so she can only watch TV or DVDs, as that's all I can control from the front!

Cubby lid USB socket for front screen only, rear USB socket for rear screens only!
 D4 MY14 XXV - RLD/IID BT
D4 MY13 HSE Lux - RLD/IID BT
P38 RR - Sad parting
110 - Even sadder parting
S3 88" - Still going strong after 23 years of ownership Smile

Post #145630310th Apr 2015 12:29 pm
edwardandtubs

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thanks! you've explained it all. Mine didnt come with the RSE remote (Stealers have allegedly ordered it for me!)

Our son is 3 and so he wont be able to use it for a while. I agree that it does seem to be aimed at older kids.

Daft question but can I fill a DVD-R with avi's and play them ??
Mini Cooper S 

Post #145642910th Apr 2015 6:34 pm
Dudleydisco

Not a daft question at all! It's not something I've tried, so can't really give you a definitive answer.

I did some research a while ago and found that the picture size can be from 32x32 pixels up to 720x576. 720x576 is the PAL standard definition size used on terrestrial TV transmissions and standard DVD,s.

Although it says MP4 files in the manual, what it means is that it will play files that are in an MP4 container format - not files that have a .mp4 file extension. Files need to end in either .avi , .xvid or .divx.

I managed to get some .avi files to play on the front screen, but they wouldn't play on the rears.

I've had most success using .divx. If you don't want to use DIVX VOD files, ( which you have to pay for), then you don't need to bother about registering the player.

DIVX is an old video compression format, so the latest version of Handbrake doesn't support it. The most reliable encoder I've found so far is DIVX converter, which is the freeware codec available from the DIVX website. If you want to rip DVDs onto a USB stick, the I use DVD Decrypter (freeware) to rip the DVD onto my PC hard drive, and then use DIVX converter to encode the .vob files to DIVX. These .vob files are MPEG2, so you will need to purchase the DIVX MPEG plugin from DIVX, which is about £7, although you do get a 15 day free trial period.

As someone else has said here, use the Home Theater preset in DIVX Converter, and then you can choose whether to do a 1 or 2 pass encode. I've found the results of the 1 pass encode acceptable in the car and the encode is quite quick.

Rather than put raw files onto a DVD+R, I've used Nero on my PC to create a DVD from the raw files.

Both Recordable and Re-Writable DVD and CD media are really a hit and miss affair. Some drives will play some but not others - for no explainable reason! Manufacturer, +R, -R, +RW, -RW, write speed etc. all make a difference! You'll stand most chance of it working if you 'Finalise' any disc you use. This makes sure that all the TOC (Table of Contents) data is written in the standard format at the start of the disc.

Let me know how you get on!
 D4 MY14 XXV - RLD/IID BT
P38 RR - Sad parting

Post #145649510th Apr 2015 8:28 pm
edwardandtubs

It would seem you can put raw avi's onto a dvd-rw and play them on the rear screens. I used a TDK brand disc. I did notice that the slightest finger print on the disc meant that it couldn't be read.

Mini Cooper S 

Post #145689111th Apr 2015 7:04 pm
Dudleydisco

Thanks for the update. I'll give that a go. Funnily enough, my daughter would love the same content too Very Happy
 D4 MY14 XXV - RLD/IID BT
P38 RR - Sad parting

Post #145689711th Apr 2015 7:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >