Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Bizarre exhaust question.....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3
Bizarre exhaust question.....

Don't know if anyone else has experienced this but does the D4 have some sort of exhaust valve other than the EGR's.....
My 2013 D4 SDV6 occasionally makes very guttural but pleasant exhaust noises when driving almost as if it has a tuned sports exhaust. It appears at different times of day and across the power band but not at all times.
There appears no reason for it...I haven't been thrashing it or anything but occasionally it develops a deeper note and actually sounds great.....
Any ideas?

Post #118992319th Nov 2013 4:30 pm
DaveC

United Kingdom 

This might be the DPF cleaning?
 XC90 T8 R Design Pro

MY14 D4 HSE Lux (sadly gone)
Mariana Black with Ivory interior and lots of toys! 

Post #118992519th Nov 2013 4:35 pm
JonM

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

DPF regeneration Thumbs Up
 MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price! - So good I bought another!
MY2012 D4 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - retired to a new home

Post #118992719th Nov 2013 4:38 pm
Farmer Chalk

Aaaaahhhh...that would make sense...it sounds bloody great when it's doing it!
Wish it would make that sound all the time...

Post #118992919th Nov 2013 4:41 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Mine does the same and I used to think it was the DPF however it does it from cold sometimes so I suspect it is not the PF regeneration.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #118993219th Nov 2013 4:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Seems that some post-July 13 exhausts might be suffering from a different kind of throaty'ness

Quote:
Reference SSM66997
Models Range Rover Sport / L320
Discovery 4 / L319
Title 3.0 TDV6 Centre Exhaust Silencer Rattle
Category Engine
Last modified 15-Nov-2013 00:00:00
Symptom 403000 Exhaust System Concerns
Content
Issue:
Rattle noise emitting from the centre exhaust silencer on 3.0 TDV6 derivatives.
Cause:
Welded joint internal to the silencer adrift.
Action:
Replace centre exhaust silencer (refer to Microcat for part number details).
Please only raise an EPQR if the date code etched into the silencer is after 18th July 2013.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #118994219th Nov 2013 5:15 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

This is not a rattle it is more like a throaty roar as if the exhaust is a straight though sports system.
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #118995219th Nov 2013 5:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Yep, mine does that. Also smells exceedingly hot whilst doing it, which led me to think it was DPF regeneration.
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #119005719th Nov 2013 8:40 pm
Farmer Chalk

Russell wrote:
This is not a rattle it is more like a throaty roar as if the exhaust is a straight though sports system.

You got it....brilliant isn't it!
There is no rattle but almost sounds as though a bypass valve opens up which allows exhaust to breathe more easily... Thought it was me dreaming at first....

Post #119025320th Nov 2013 1:35 am
colin6307

United Kingdom 
dpf regeneration

Do any of you get much smoke out of the exhauste when dpf regenerates

Post #119032320th Nov 2013 10:26 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

The dpf is either active or passive ...passive when high load \ speed and temps are above 250oC and active when there is low load \ speed e.g. if you drive around town most of the time. The active process will intervene every 250 miles and .....

Quote:
During the active regeneration process the following ECM controlled events occur:

The turbocharger is maintained in the fully open position. This minimizes heat transmission from the exhaust gas to the turbocharger and reduces the rate of exhaust gas flow allowing optimum heating of the DPF. If the driver demands an increase in engine torque, the turbocharger will respond by closing the vanes as necessary.
The throttle is closed as this assists in increasing the exhaust gas temperature and reduces the rate of exhaust gas flow which has the effect of reducing the time for the DPF to reach the optimum temperature.
The EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve is closed. The use of EGR decreases the exhaust gas temperature and therefore prevents the optimum DPF temperature being achieved.
If, due to vehicle usage and/or driving style, the active regeneration process cannot take place or is unable to regenerate the DPF, the dealer can force regenerate the DPF. This is achieved by either driving the vehicle until the engine is at its normal operating temperature and then driving for a further 20 minutes at speeds of not less than 30 mph (48 km/h).

So I guess that when the DPF is in active mode it could be producing a different exhaust tone Confused
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #119033920th Nov 2013 10:59 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up
D4 camera club 

Post #119034220th Nov 2013 11:06 am
Farmer Chalk

DG as always I am indebted to you.... You are the font of all knowledge.....
So presumably the EGR's close in order to heat the cats.... Therefore the exhaust does become freer flowing hence the sound.....
Have those who have blanked the EGR's noticed the increase in volume on the D3's

Post #119056120th Nov 2013 7:55 pm
motolite

Australia 

DG wrote:
The dpf is either active or passive ...passive when high load \ speed and temps are above 250oC and active when there is low load \ speed e.g. if you drive around town most of the time. The active process will intervene every 250 miles and .....

Quote:
During the active regeneration process the following ECM controlled events occur:

The turbocharger is maintained in the fully open position. This minimizes heat transmission from the exhaust gas to the turbocharger and reduces the rate of exhaust gas flow allowing optimum heating of the DPF. If the driver demands an increase in engine torque, the turbocharger will respond by closing the vanes as necessary.
The throttle is closed as this assists in increasing the exhaust gas temperature and reduces the rate of exhaust gas flow which has the effect of reducing the time for the DPF to reach the optimum temperature.
The EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve is closed. The use of EGR decreases the exhaust gas temperature and therefore prevents the optimum DPF temperature being achieved.
If, due to vehicle usage and/or driving style, the active regeneration process cannot take place or is unable to regenerate the DPF, the dealer can force regenerate the DPF. This is achieved by either driving the vehicle until the engine is at its normal operating temperature and then driving for a further 20 minutes at speeds of not less than 30 mph (48 km/h).

So I guess that when the DPF is in active mode it could be producing a different exhaust tone Confused

DG, interesting info on the DPF regen. I was in the dealers and overheard the service guy explain to a customer that the regen process had to be done at a steady 70mph (why he was using mph in Oz I don't know) The computer logs a failure if you don't finish the process and after so many failed attempts a warning comes on. I got bored after that and stopped listening. So interesting that it can be done at 30?

Post #119057320th Nov 2013 8:15 pm
Goat

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Ahh, This would explain the change in exhaust tone and the strange smell which resulted in me crawling around the D4 and then taking it for another drive to asses the situation which incidentally I could not replicate. Thumbs Up

Post #119073020th Nov 2013 11:34 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >