Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

Wheel changing - 20124 XS D4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
RDW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Wheel changing - 20124 XS D4

I had a slow puncture today, tried to change the wheel at home but as I jacked the car the self levelling suspension kicked in and I seemed likely to run out of jack travel before the wheel left the ground. Gave up & went to nearby ATS. Their guy said you need to put suspension in off road, open tailgate and switch on hazards. He did this and used a trolley jack - said he didn't think the LR jack would have enough travel. Hand book doesn't say any of this - anyone with experience/knowledge?

Post #157867016th Dec 2015 2:44 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

You need to raise it to off road height first, no need to open tailgate or use hazards (unless you are at the roadside for safety)

The standard jack will lift it, but only for an emergency wheel change. They are flimsy and not very sturdy with 2.7 ton vehicle lifted up. Do not put yourself under the vehicle when using the standard jack.

Also, many make the mistake of using the compressor cover as a jacking point when changing the rear left wheel. The cover has a hole in the bottom that looks just like a jack point, but its plastic and will Censored up the compressor mounting if you jack there. Make sure you use the jack point in the chassis.

Post #157867416th Dec 2015 2:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >