Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

paintwork
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
dave-rsvr

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
paintwork

does anybody know if there is someone good in the bedfordshire area that would come wax and protect the paint work,car will be left outside so want to give the paint all the protection i can and want it to look good for many years.i dont mind cleaning and polishing/waxing but do not know what is best and what will do more harm

Post #1998776th Sep 2007 8:46 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
.....well

I'd have to say Meguiars (which I have used) Awesome - reasonable cost - it works
some on here say Poorboys..which I havnt used (yet)
Autoglym simply outclassed...it washes off...
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #1999206th Sep 2007 10:04 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I had the permagard treatment on my D3, very happy with it. A colleague got his new Merc. CLS treated this April, he's also very pleased.
I haven't got around to have the annual "top up" treatment yet, but it's still working.
Certainly saves a lot of time.
http://www.permagard.info/?gclid=CJqC9dWRsY4CFQluMAod5WkNIg

Post #2001267th Sep 2007 11:33 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I haven't tried Meguiars, but it's got a good name as a medium-cost product as BLFarrar says.

I've been using Autoglym for the last 10 years and thought it was fairly good, but recently bought a load of Poorboys stuff (swirl remover, polish, carnuba sealant) and I must say it is AMAZING...even more considering it is not too expensive.....I would have been impressed if I'd paid double the price to be honest.

If you have a look around the forum, I'm sure you'll find links to buy this stuff online in the UK. Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #2002977th Sep 2007 5:08 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Did you do any before/after shots Paul? Sounds like you had no problem with the delivery in the end Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #2003037th Sep 2007 5:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulP

Bodsy wrote:
Did you do any before/after shots Paul? Sounds like you had no problem with the delivery in the end Thumbs Up

Hi Ian,

The delivery was perfect....I ordered on Friday midday and the box of goodies arrived by courier on Tuesday morning.....(http://store.carcareeurope.com)

At the moment I'm practising on the Audi and the results with the newly-acquired polisher (Bosch 270AE Random Orbit thingy, cost 69 EUR) have been impressive....

Once I'm confident enough after polishing the rest of the Audi, I'll get started on the D3....it's a bit easier to live with mistakes on a car that's only worth 1000 euros compared to one that cost 46 times that amount Laughing

I'll definitely post some photos (in the original thread) once it's all done together with a run-through and a bit of a review of the actual products used.
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #2003187th Sep 2007 5:30 pm
PaulP

Re: paintwork

dave-rsvr wrote:
i dont mind cleaning and polishing/waxing but do not know what is best and what will do more harm

Hi Dave,

Have a look at this thread here for a good valeting guide from C6REW:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post168131.html#168131
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #2003207th Sep 2007 5:32 pm
PaulP

PaulP wrote:
At the moment I'm practising on the Audi....

Here are a few photos of the newly polished Audi. The D3 is next on the list Laughing

The paint was very oxidized due to the constant sun it gets now (with the arrival of the D3, the Audi has been banished to outside parking) and as such had a white/pink effect in various places.

I used the following products, a random orbit polisher and some elbow grease to get it to this condition (around 3-4 hours total work).

1. A good wash with a wash mitt
2. Poorboys SSR2.5 - Cutting Polish
3. Poorboys PwS - Polish with Sealant
4. Poorboys EX - Sealant with Carnauba Wax
5. 2 bottles of Estrella Damn beer to keep me going

Unfortunately the pictures are rather crap, but you can probably get an idea of the shine it's now got.....remember that this is a 17 year old car!!

2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #20250513th Sep 2007 9:56 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Looks pretty good from here Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #20250813th Sep 2007 9:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
StuRox

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Glad you like the poorboys stuff, must admit, I thought it was great when I first used it, especially for the price - can't seem to go wrong - and have you noticed the smell - you could almost eat it Very Happy

Post #20253613th Sep 2007 10:25 am
PaulP

Cheers Ian.....when I get time/permission to spend the day doing the D3 I'll post some photos of that too Thumbs Up

StuRox wrote:
Glad you like the poorboys stuff, must admit, I thought it was great when I first used it, especially for the price - can't seem to go wrong - and have you noticed the smell - you could almost eat it Very Happy

Stu...For the price, it's very impressive stuff....I also noticed the (very pleasant) smell which is not what you'd expect...difficult to describe really (and would make me look like an idiot if I did try to describe it Embarassed ).

Also each product has a distinct smell and colour......I reckon that you could still successfully polish the car even if you were working in the dark or with a heavy cold Laughing

Have you tried any of the other products from Poorboys? If so, please post some info! Thumbs Up
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #20254713th Sep 2007 10:44 am
StuRox

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yup, I spent some time having a smell and then getting everyone else to have a smell - not what you expect from polish....

Not tried any other product from them as yet, but next time I need something, will certainly check the web site to see what is about and will let you know.....

Post #20255713th Sep 2007 11:04 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Well, my 3000th post Milestone

Time to tell you about the small fortune I've just spent on cleaning stuff!

Following advice here and on other forums (and JKP Thumbs Up ) I've bought the following:-

From www.elitecarcare.co.uk
1 x Gilmour Foamaster II Pro Foam Gun + FREE 1 Litre Snow Foam ()

The foam method is the best method of cleaning your car. Ths attachement to JetWasher or Hose provides the highest level of foam which helps to remove the dust and dirt. Spray on, leave for a while, rinse off, then spray on again & wash using the sheepskin wash Mitt

By all accounts, swirls are almost always down to using a sponge which traps in the dirt which you rub into the paintwork Shocked

1 x Meguiars NXT Generation Car Wash ()
Gets mixed in with the snow foam

2 x Eurow 100% Sheepskin Wash/Polish Mitt ()

1 x Eurow X Large Waffle Weave Microfibre Drying Towel - 26" x 36"
1 x Giant Professional Microfibre Towel ()
much safer for drying the vehicle than the traditional chamois leather.

1 x Meguiars Even Coat Applicator Pads (twin pack) ()
1 x Klasse All In One Polish & Sealant ()
1 x Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze ()

1 x Sonus Der Wunder Buffing Towel, Pkg/2 ()

Had tried holding off ordering as I really wanted some JetSeal109 but until today Evil or Very Mad www.cleanandshiny.co.uk didn't have any stock of it. So I bought the Klasse Polish & Sealant and the High Glass Sealant Glaze instead.

www.cleanandshiny.co.uk just mailed me to let me know the JetSeal109 is now in stock so I've bought some of that as well as some Insect remover spray.
Means I now have some Klasse sealer that I may never even use Rolling Eyes but I'll probably try the JetSeal109 on my Disco and the Klass on Swmbo's Zafira

If I get time, I'll try it out on the front of the Disco on Saturday (if it arrives in time) to try to protect it a little before Sundays trip.
Other than that, I'll be spending most of next thursday cleaning the beast inside and out in preparation for having the ribbon applied for Friday's journey Wink

So there you have it, a fortune on cleaning products and a 3,000th post all in one go!
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #20259813th Sep 2007 12:43 pm
PaulP

Bodsy wrote:
Well, my 3000th post Milestone

Congratulations!!! (and it's taken this many posts for you to get around to cleaning your car? Whistle Laughing )

Bodsy wrote:
1 x Eurow X Large Waffle Weave Microfibre Drying Towel - 26" x 36"
1 x Giant Professional Microfibre Towel ()
much safer for drying the vehicle than the traditional chamois leather.

These are on my list for the next order I place....at the moment I'm using my 'old faithful' Autoglym natural chamois that cost me around 40 GBP some 8 years ago....it's still in very good condition and doesn't 'seem' to leave any marks, but....times change and I need to upgrade to the waffle weave thingys.

Bodsy wrote:
1 x Meguiars Even Coat Applicator Pads (twin pack) ()

So what are these for? Some kind of a cross between hand-polishing and machine-polishing?

Bodsy wrote:
If I get time, I'll try it out on the front of the Disco on Saturday (if it arrives in time) to try to protect it a little before Sundays trip.

It sounds almost comical that the D3 is so big that they're impossible to clean in one go but it's very true....I was planning on doing it over a couple of days too Laughing

Good luck for the wedding!!!!! Thumbs Up
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #20261113th Sep 2007 1:12 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Thanks Paul, hoping it doesn't rain..... Rolling Eyes

The applicator pads are supposed to help you get a more consistent application, instead of using some cloth where the product you're applying could 'squidge' a bit. At least that's the theory but I've never used them before. They're for applying by hand.

Will update you when I can Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #20264313th Sep 2007 2:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >