Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Grinding noise when shifting from Park
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jbn

Germany 2009 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol HSE Auto Buckingham BlueLR3
Grinding noise when shifting from Park

Apologies if my search efforts have not been sufficiently thorough but I could find no reference to this issue.

For quite some time now, when starting the car and shifting from Park into Reverse or Drive there is sometimes a kind of grinding noise that sounds like gear teeth not fully engaging but slipping. Sort of a ZWIIIIIIIIIP sound is the best I can describe it.

I am taking the car in to a local garage for a service soon (NOT to Land Rover!) - any suggestions to where I should point them if I am unable to demonstrate the noise on the day? I have a vague recollection that on a previous search I read something relating to check the Universal Joints in the transmission but I may be confusing myself and perhaps this really is coming from the gearbox?

Per TOPIx transmission is 6­Speed Automatic 6HP26.

Many thanks!
 2009 LR3 HSE 4.0 V6 petrol  
Post #233620411th May 2023 3:13 pm
jbn

Update: this morning I had my winter and summer wheels swapped over by the mechanic who will service the car next week. He insisted to me that the noise comes from the parking brake (EPB), and recommended that I try the next few days not applying the brake, just leave the car in Park.

The EPB is configured to go off when driving off, but we never do that since a period of misbehaviour a few years back shortly after buying the car: we always apply the brake after putting the car into P and with the foot on the foot brake. Sequence before driving is always: start engine, foot brake on, engage Drive then release EPB then foot brake, then drive.

So far with just a couple of trips today there has been consistent silence. The evidence is totally circumstantial and yet completely aligns with his prediction.

Please, any suggestions on how the EPB could possibly be linked to a gear shift when stationary???
Post #233629612th May 2023 2:09 pm
jbn

Definitely the parking brake, which pointed me to the active topic about unjam / unlatch. I have tried the unjam procedure with my Gap IIDTool and have plenty of prior art on which to follow up - thanks all for the active comments on those threads.
Post #233682817th May 2023 11:54 am
protohyp

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

the parking brake won't grind when you're shifting into park.

Check your Transfer Case Control Module behind the battery. You may have to remove the battery to check but its the first box directly behind the battery. There are two harnesses on the top of it and I can almost surely guarantee that there is corrosion on the connections in the box. If so address this ASAP as you'll lose complete control of shifting and the grinding will get worse. Start with that as its the easiest check. Otherwise you'll have to tighten the shift control cable or check that the transfer case motor gears aren't stripped.

let us know how it worked out

Post #233776725th May 2023 6:59 pm
jbn

Thanks for your reply. The noise definitely comes from the parking brake, and can occur when the brake is released by the switch, without shifting from P. When the brake is not applied there is never any noise when shifting from P to either R or D.

Resetting the EPB via my IIDTool may have reduced the frequency of noise occurring but definitely not completely cured it. I guess that means a proper check and adjustment the next time the car is in the garage.

If there were any indication that it is related to the Transfer Case I would of course take immediate action.

I have an hypothesis, but am reluctant to test until I can hook up my CTEK battery conditioner as it will involve rewriting the CCF: the car is configured to auto release the EPB when driving off, and I am wondering whether disabling that setting would avoid some signal being sent to the EPB when shifting into a driving gear. For now as I can mostly (but not always) avoid the noise by not engaging the EPB, or releasing it prior to shifting out of P, I am prepared to live with it.
Post #233798228th May 2023 6:51 pm
protohyp

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

ok...I may have misread as I had the grinding noise when shifting INTO park rather than shifting out of it.

Your hypothesis sounds correct though if you're set up to release the parking brake if driving off. Good think you have the GAP tool to rewrite the CCF. Such a great way to trouble shoot things.

Regardless it sounds like a rebuild of the EPB is in order anyway.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Post #233800129th May 2023 12:27 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

When you select park the park brake is automatically applied by default on a automatic, it will release once the accelerator is touched or is manually released, this can be turned on or off in the CCF.
When was it last serviced?- LR recommend every 30 miles when being used off road Shocked
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #233804729th May 2023 7:37 pm
Marshall8hp

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Must be market specific as my 2008 auto doesn't automatically apply the handbrake on selecting park. You have to apply it yourself.

Post #233806530th May 2023 3:22 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

It can be enabled in the CCF with an Iid tool or similar tool. I have a 2014my and it does.
One good reason to have it enabled is if you was to be hit by another vehicle while parked it can damage the gearbox if the park brake is not engaged. Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #233807130th May 2023 8:45 am
jbn

Reviewing my posts I realise that I did not close off this topic.

I used my IID Tool to reset the parking brake, had to do it two or three times. Since then the noise has vanished.
Post #235923717th Jan 2024 12:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >