Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Snow program for driving
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
redamo

United Kingdom 
Snow program for driving

Apologies is it's a silly question, is the snow program supposed to be set to on all the time when driving in snow (i.e. including motorway) or is it only for difficult conditions, i.e. being stuck, going downhill, etc?

Post #156775026th Nov 2015 6:26 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Yes, just leave it on. Esp if there's been a light dusting like in my avatar. Don't worry if you forget to change back when it all melts, car will just be a bit sluggish til you realise what you haven't done. Thumbs Up

Re on motorway, if there's no snow switch back as you'll soon get fed up with lack of oomph.

Post #156775426th Nov 2015 6:28 pm
redamo

United Kingdom 

Do I have to stop or slow when changing or can it be done at full speed?

Post #156775626th Nov 2015 6:30 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

No, just twiddle the dial, all will be sorted by the electronic trickery. I'm assuming you haven't put her in low range, that can be done on the move but I doubt you'd change to lo-box.

PS And you don't need lo-box most of the time so don't worry about it. D3 is supremely capable in standard mode, it's often the driver that lets the team down. Drive to conditions and don't assume because you're driving a fantastic off-roader you'll be invincible then you'll be fine. Thumbs Up

Post #156776126th Nov 2015 6:36 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

redamo wrote:
Do I have to stop or slow when changing or can it be done at full speed?

Just pointing out the obvious but if you think you need snow mode then "full speed" will not be a good idea and will put you in the nearest ditch or other vehicle.

Post #156776626th Nov 2015 6:42 pm
redamo

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the warning, very useful! Was thinking more along the lines of switching off the snow mode, ie. back to standard, once I get to a decent speed and the snow clears away. But it's good to know that I need to be aware of not doing the opposite, i.e. driving with 70mph and switching to snow I encounter it on motorway. Is it a certain recommended speed for switching programs? Of course, I'm only talking about special programs not hi-lo gear change. Also, what about HDC? Should this be switched when driving at certain speeds too (and descending)?

Post #156777226th Nov 2015 6:54 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

In the snow of winter 2010 my D4 became a 3 ton torpedo as I turned into a side road from a main road at about 20 mph - luckily my Mum & Dads hedge acted as a brake Laughing
Nearly a case of new pants

It can install a sense of confidence (or in my case gross stupidity) that mother nature will strip away in a second

Post #156777626th Nov 2015 7:00 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

HDC or DSC?

Re HDC, you shouldn't be using that except on a very steep hill to stop the car running away from you. Pressing that at speed? No idea but it might slow you down like someone had thrown anchor out the back.

DSC, don't touch/switch off unless you know what you are doing or are stuck.

PS If you are concerned re driving in snowy conditions get a cheap set of second rims and get a set of winter tyres. They're the best thing you can do. Thumbs Up

Post #156777926th Nov 2015 7:03 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

adam wrote:
It can install a sense of confidence (or in my case gross stupidity) that mother nature will strip away in a second

Yes, it's amazing how quickly "I am a driving god" changes to "oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit". Laughing Laughing Thumbs Up

Post #156779326th Nov 2015 7:11 pm
A.J.M

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

From experience.
Brake early for junctions and sharp turns. Take it easy in winter, you can get over confident in the car and it could lead to an accident.

It's a very capable car but if it starts to skid, 2.7 tons can carry a lot of momentum.
Proper tyres are recommended if you have the cash and space. Otherwise, stick to a good tyre.

Post #156779826th Nov 2015 7:16 pm
JonM

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

In snow, the disco is better at going than it is at stopping! HDC is very useful when going down hill. It only works below 30 mph but with it on, you'll slow down a lot quicker by just lifting off the accelerator than you would by applying the brakes.
 MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price! - So good I bought another!
MY2012 D4 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - retired to a new home

Post #156780026th Nov 2015 7:22 pm
redamo

United Kingdom 

Very useful tips guys. To summarise, apart from proper winter tyres (got Nokian WR SUV 3 on 19"), I guess that's no need to engage any gizmos apart from common sense, and just run the car normally. Only need snow mode, HDC, and DSC when faced with issues, like starting from standstill and slipping, slowly descending on a snowed and steep hill, etc.). Am I correct?

Post #156780426th Nov 2015 7:27 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I always try to remind myself that as good as a Discovery is at going up hills, stopping is a different thing, you still only have 4 wheels touching the ground like any other vehicle.

Post #156780726th Nov 2015 7:34 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

redamo wrote:
Very useful tips guys. To summarise, apart from proper winter tyres (got Nokian WR SUV 3 on 19"), I guess that's no need to engage any gizmos apart from common sense, and just run the car normally. Only need snow mode, HDC, and DSC when faced with issues, like starting from standstill and slipping, slowly descending on a snowed and steep hill, etc.). Am I correct?

Absatidellingtootlie. Thumbs Up

Unless others disagree. Whistle

Post #156781026th Nov 2015 7:42 pm
JonM

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I'd say that's pretty much hit the nail on the head. I might suggest a slightly more prophylactic approach though and suggest that if you find yourself wondering "Might I have a problem moving forward" put it in snow mode. If you find yourself wondering "Will I be able to control my speed on this hill or slow down for the junction at the bottom" switch on HDC.

i.e. switch them on if you anticipate a problem rather than when you've discovered that you already have a problem.
 MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price! - So good I bought another!
MY2012 D4 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - retired to a new home

Post #156781426th Nov 2015 7:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >