Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

D3 Auto Gearbox Oil Mega Flush-eng hunting/early kick down??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ltudor2010

United Kingdom 
D3 Auto Gearbox Oil Mega Flush-eng hunting/early kick down??

Hi there! thought I'd share this with you all

I did a mega flush on my D3 3months ago or so (wanted to make sure it was all ok before posting!) very similar to Filo's flush. this is my second Megaflush and all went well with great results. improved performance, response, mpg and obviously fixing the symptoms.

it was kicking down earlier than normal and then the engine idle would hunt when under load (hills, loaded up, towing, etc). they don't hunt massively on the dial but definitely noticeable visually and audibly. my last one did exactly the same. LR recommend it be changed at like 80k I think but I got both mine at around 125k! so deff needed it

so I sourced the container from camping world lol I wanted a removable lid that was separate to the tap lid, so I could install the tyre valve and still have control to shut the oil off. the hose came from the pond section in the garden centre Thumbs Up

I bought a 20l can of oil to give a proper flush 150quid I think. before disconnecting anything the gearbox oil must already be warm/hot (I forget the actual temp)

so disconnected the upper oil pipe on the oil cooler, extended that hose down to a can (which will be waste oil) and adapted the hose from my container to clamp onto the oil cooler inlet.

pressurised the container with the compressor that had 10l of my new oil in, open the tap. then started the car (gearbox oil must already be warm/hot). oil will pump out straight away from torque converter and faster than it could be put in. so just stopped and started the car a few times.

keep watching the exiting oil for the colour change, the old oil is pretty dirty and dark, new oil nice honey colour and stop or if the oil flow drops.

remove all the equipment and put the engine bay back to original condition

then on the box I popped the electrical plug off, dropped the sump, cut the oil pick up off as I was using a metal sump with separate filter element. take a look at the crap inside the filter, admittedly some of the crap is from cutting the pick up off, but a lot of dirt there. this means you don't have to unbolt the engine mount and all that palaver. pulled the locking lever down to take the electrical plug sleeve out, this wasn't leaking but o-ring was knackered, I was replacing this anyway - buy genuine!

then this allows you to undo the (bigger not smaller) torx bolts and remove the valve chest. I did this to replace the rectangular adapter/seal, which I have heard can give problems and you can see why by the shape of the sealing lip being warped

goes without saying all needs to be kept clean and free from foreign debris

the adapter will sit up there on its own then you can replace the valve chest. you must locate the slider and peg (from a cable input to the box housing). this is on the LH side of the box, looking fwd.

then replace the electrical sleeve with a lot of wiggling and re-engage the locking device. CHECK you cant pull the sleeve back out.

fit filter and sump. fill up with oil, start car, cycle through the gearbox then back to park. refill box with engine running until level with filler plug.

check for leaks and test drive. you will most likely have to top it back up after a drive

have a look though the photos and questions just ask

Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by ltudor2010 on 22nd Jan 2018 10:31 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #190429221st Jan 2018 2:34 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

A guy after my own heart Thumbs Up

where did you get your rectangular adapter/seal for the valve body from? Been thinking of doing mine, but don't want to order the wrong one

Post #190430521st Jan 2018 2:53 pm
geoff.

England 

at what temperature did check the level after driving it ?

Post #190436921st Jan 2018 4:50 pm
ltudor2010

United Kingdom 

Land Rover list it as an Adapter, they will find it in the IPC. It lists the part as 7JS13 but not sure if that's a part number or a figure item number??

Think temp should be 30-50 degrees C? Which wouldnt take long at all to get to at all. If I'm honest I didn't check temp. But because the valve chest was removed all the oil drained out so takes time for the oil to fill everything that needs to be filled lol

Ps how did you get the picture in the text of the thread? All of mine have gone in the gallery??

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by ltudor2010 on 22nd Jan 2018 10:32 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #190445421st Jan 2018 6:45 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Amazed LR sell that.

If you look under your pictures, there is a load of text in boxes starting IMG.

You need to copy all of that in. For each pic

Post #190447521st Jan 2018 7:27 pm
ltudor2010

United Kingdom 

long winded for adding pictures!

Post #190473922nd Jan 2018 10:32 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >