Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

crank locking tools
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
john ryan

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Alveston RedDiscovery 3
crank locking tools

I've had my D3 for nearly 15 years. Bought a Sealey locking tool kit for the first belt change in 2012, but only used the cam pins (I marked the crank with paint). This time I decided to do the oil pump, as recommended on here, because of the risk of boss failure on early engines at second belt change. Rain has stopped play, hence this post.
Several people have remarked on ill fitting crank locking tools. In my case the auto tool was marked manual, and vice versa. The manual tool has the offset pin. The locking projection was too large on the diameter by 0.5mm - I found this by putting the plain end of progressivley larger twist drills in the flywheel hole - this also showed the offset. The tool was also too large on the o/d, and so wouldn't go in the hole in the flywheel housing. Finally, the thread in the tool was too small for the starter bolt, so I used a length of studding to hold it in place.
Now it fits snugly, and the crank bolt is undone. The tool modifications didn't take too long, but the finding out was a pain. Hopefully this may help others with the same tool/problem.

Post #206206318th Jun 2019 3:26 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

you guys with manual gearbox do have problems with that tool!

I had noticed the thread wasn't the same as the start bolt, but it's not really required on the auto.

It's interesting to hear the expensive Sealey kit isn't any better than the cheapo kits!

Post #206209418th Jun 2019 4:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >