Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

LiFePO4 LITHIUM in D4 (2nd Battery compartment)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
logical001

United Kingdom 
LiFePO4 LITHIUM in D4 (2nd Battery compartment)

Dear all,

I have been offered a 100Ah Equiv 12V LiFePO4 LITHIUM battery that my pal doesn't need anymore.
His notion of 'off-grid' holidays was basically a little too 'off the grid' for his Mrs. No access to DailyMalice so they basically had to talk to each other and argue Laughing

His loss might be my gain though and it looks like this battery might physically fit the 2nd battery compartment in the engine on my D4 (2013 so pretty empty) and it would be useful when going to camp in fields near F1 circuits where you can't often get a hook-up. This happened last year at Spa as the dutch fans (as lovely as they are) bring mobile jacuzzis, bars, concert systems etc.. etc..

I know you are NOT meant to regularly use these types of lithium batteries for emergency jump-starting etc. but would the D4 alternator charge it? I have the standard AGM starter battery so it either a case of getting a T-MAX if the alternator can do it... OR a DC to DC charger such as a CTEK if not. I will never be winching so I can't ever really see a need to have both linked. I tend to also carry a decent lithium jump pack so that is covered off.

Advise welcome especially from anyone that has done this Thumbs Up

Ps. I assume the Brit Part split charger is the T-Max with the buttons moved around? ie. no functional difference.

Kindest,

Jonathan

Post #20739616th Aug 2019 2:03 pm
stiff

2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Be very sure about the split charge system you will use. These batteries have different charging requirements Thumbs Up
 MY2008 D3 - It got me hooked...gone
MY2012 D4 - It kept me hooked...gone
MY2007 D3 - Mid-Life crisis toy continues driving me to bankruptcy...
MY2018 "D5" Si6 - But is it a "true" LR...discuss...but now gone
Back in a D4 with a lot of extras.... 

Post #20739796th Aug 2019 3:16 pm
Kelvo

Australia 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

You will need a DC-DC charger with a specific LiFePO4 charging profile. You can not use a normal split charge relay.
 MY14 TDV6  
Post #20739826th Aug 2019 3:21 pm
logical001

United Kingdom 

Thanks Stiff...

Yes don't want a loud bang or the wrong kind of campfire. Shocked

At this moment in time (if I proceed) am thinking to keep this Lithium battery separate (they have their own BMS system built-in and it has a remote status screen).

The CTEK is an expensive but safe DC to DC charge option. Can also attach a solar panel to the CTEK if the D4 parked up a few days as was last year for what amps you can get.

Access / power-pickup to this battery will ONLY be in the boot. The only mod to existing wiring would be the normal 12V in the boot wired into this one. OR have a 2nd on the other side and a 'do not use while stationary' label on the other oem. This is to stop the starter battery getting drained to none cranking level. This very nearly happened last year by one of my pals with his F***ing portable coffee maker. He used it each day while I was away watching the earlier races at the track Evil or Very Mad

Not sure if this oem outlet is protected by the car...??? but the D4 ONLY just started when we left at 3am for the Ferry. Lesson learned!

Post #20739886th Aug 2019 3:48 pm
logical001

United Kingdom 

Kelvo wrote:
You will need a DC-DC charger with a specific LiFePO4 charging profile. You can not use a normal split charge relay.

Thanks Kelvo, am heading that way! Thumbs Up

Post #20739906th Aug 2019 3:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >