DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

What version of ZF gearbox?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Ollie795

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3
What version of ZF gearbox?

Hi all,

I have just purchased a 2006 discovery 3 2.7tdv6 HSE auto, I’m wanting to do a gearbox oil change, and I’m also looking at possibly replacing a few of the bits in the mechatronics (seals and square sleeve) as preventative maintenance.

I know the auto box is a ZF 6HP but I’m unsure as to the number designation on the end, was the discovery 3 only fitted with one type eg the 6HP26 or was it varied? Can’t get under mine at the moment to read the info on the side of the box…

Being 2006 I’m pretty sure it’s the gen 1 as the gen 2 box came out in 2007 so it won’t be a 6HP21 or 28

Thanks in advance

Post #225686413th Oct 2021 6:22 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

yeah 6HP26

P.S when I changed the seals and square sleeve, I didn't notice any difference.

Post #225686913th Oct 2021 6:42 pm
Ollie795

Awesome thanks, thought it would have made sense for them to only used one but you never know with land rover!

Thats interesting, did you have any issues before you replaced them or did you just change for the sake of it? and what mileage did you do it at?

Mine's just at around 107K miles and I'm pretty sure its on the original oil and filter as its the plastic pan, it's starting to weep around the lip of the pan, but I've also noticed it's possibly starting to flare a few of the lower gears and there's a bit of wandering in the revs at certain speeds.

Post #225687113th Oct 2021 6:47 pm
Pete K

Make sure you change the connector sleeve while sump off.

It’s a very common leak point, and if it’s not leaking now, it will with new oil

Post #225687613th Oct 2021 7:56 pm
Ollie795

Yes i'm intending to change the sleeve as that looks like it's weeping a bit too, but nowhere near as much as the sump.

what mileage is your trans on?

I'm only thinking of changing the mechatronic seals and square sleeve due to the age of the box and that rubber shrinks over time so it can't hurt.

Has anyone replaced the internals of the mechatronics with the Sonnax ZIP kit? just wanting to make the gearbox reliable well into the future!

Post #225687713th Oct 2021 8:22 pm
Pete K

114K miles.

I guess you need to know where to draw the line really. The zip kits aren’t cheap.
Selecting/ordering the correct metal sheet gasket always concerned me.

Post #225687913th Oct 2021 8:39 pm
loanrangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Ollie795 wrote:
Yes i'm intending to change the sleeve as that looks like it's weeping a bit too, but nowhere near as much as the sump.

I'm only thinking of changing the mechatronic seals and square sleeve due to the age of the box and that rubber shrinks over time so it can't hurt.

Has anyone replaced the internals of the mechatronics with the Sonnax ZIP kit? just wanting to make the gearbox reliable well into the future!

i know a few that have used the sonnax kit as part of a minor rebuild, i did my seals along with the metal pan which made no difference so i will be fitting the sonnax kit along with new solenoids.

Post #225706915th Oct 2021 6:13 am
Ollie795

Ok so noticed today in cruise control @ 30 mph it was wondering around, it appears to be in 4th gear at 30 so I changed to manual mode and selected all the gears 4th is definitely the worst, would this be more likely valve body/seals than torque converter as I’d have expected it to be worse in lower gears if it was the tc due to the higher torque, I’ve uploaded a video to YouTube with a description if you could check it out and see what you think...

Post #225726516th Oct 2021 11:05 am
Pete K

TC I think.

I would get the old oil out. At least 6 litres, by disconnecting the AT cooler hose at the front. Run engine for 30 secs or until flow stops.
Then remove gearbox sump plug and drain.

Or you can just take the sump plug out, then run engine for 30 secs

Refil with compatable 6hp26 oil. You will need to run engine to get all the oil back in.

Test drive.
Then add 2 Dr tranny tubes

If it is the TC the box will have to come out in the future. So not too much point getting carried away. Or you may get lucky.

Post #225730616th Oct 2021 6:47 pm
rowlejohn

France 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

+ 1, as he says TC
 Relocated to Mid France from N. Wales March 2021
Rovacomlite and IDD/ SSD diagnostics user
Previous Landies
3.9 SE Classic
3.5 V8 Disco
4.6 P38 HSE
L322 Vogue HSE
TD4 ES Freelander 1 

Post #225744017th Oct 2021 7:46 pm
Ollie795

loanrangie wrote:
Ollie795 wrote:

i know a few that have used the sonnax kit as part of a minor rebuild, i did my seals along with the metal pan which made no difference so i will be fitting the sonnax kit along with new solenoids.

Any update on how you got on loanrangie?

I changed my oil and filter on the box along with the plastic sleeve and rubber tubes for the valve body along with 2 tubes of dr tranny about 10k miles ago, the issue in the video I posted has gone away but now I have some more bizarre problems...

I notice on the motorway at 70mph in auto the revs are at about 1950 but when going up an incline they rise to about 2050, if I put it into sport then select manual the revs drop back down, from what I can understand when in sport the gearbox pressure regulator increases to give sharper shifts?

Would this slipping be the torque converter failing or possibly a leak in the valve body?

Also gears 1-4 slip a lot even when warm and in 4th if lightly cruising along between light throttle and no throttle the revs drop to idle and bounce back up like maybe a solenoid isn’t holding the gear properly? This is why I’m wondering if a zip kit might help things?

Unlike the E clutch bush issue 5 & 6 gear shift quick and smoothly... get no errors either

Post #23210152nd Jan 2023 11:32 pm
loanrangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Mine hasnt got any worse so just nursing it until i have the time to look at it properly, sport mode only uses gears 1-5 so it may sit on slightly higher revs at 60.
My issues are mainly in 1-3 and it shift smooth from 4th up, i believe mine is pressure leakage in the valve body as i don't have any shuddering common with TC failure but i'm not ruling it out.
About to do a big suspension overhaul so will get back to the trans after that's done.

Post #23210263rd Jan 2023 1:44 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >