Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Automatic gearbox - the gear shifter cannot be put in Drive
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Kingfisher123

Automatic gearbox - the gear shifter cannot be put in Drive

Hi,
Trying to dial in the problem with the automatic transmission (Discovery 3). See here if anyone has advice to give Smile

When I move the shifter to D (drive), after about 2 seconds there is a metallic scraping sound. Much like when you put the wrong gear on a manual transmission. The drive cannot be put into D. I know I had the same symptoms before, but then I adjusted the shifter cable and the drive then worked normally. But have tried this again but was unchanged and the error remains.

This works perfectly with the car in these conditions, i.e. no noise and the car can be driven completely normally:

When I put it in Low-range Roth the transfer box, it is possible to put it in D (driven) and drive. It is also possible to use Sport mode and shift from 1, 2 and 3 and back and drive normally. It is also possible to return to High-range. Seems like the transfer box is okay.

When I put R (reverse) everything works perfectly or as it should. Similarly, P and N work, i.e. no noises, woork normally.

Anyone know what I should start troubleshooting?
Strange that the drive can be put in at Low-range but not at High-range. And the strange thing is that the car doesn't throw any error codes either, i.e. there are none that can be read via TFllDBT.

Best regards

Post #23031267th Aug 2022 10:44 am
Beno2

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Sounds like a linkage needs greasing Thumbs Up someone with more expert views will tell you
 D3 HSE

Post #23031307th Aug 2022 11:25 am
Kingfisher123

Hi and thanks
Good to know is that
linkage on the box is new. The cable from the shifter to the linkage is also new.
The automatic transmission has traveled 180,000 km and is well serviced.
I have reset the adapters in the automatic box as I have changed the oil and filter in the box.
I have also done a calibration of the transfer box.
I have installed a 6Hp26x on the car and it run well for last 40000 km.
I have my original box for the car renovated and ready with a new reinforced converter, but before I install it, I want to try to solve what could be wrong with the automatic box I have in the car right now Smile If it can't be solved, I have to change the box and take apart that I have on the car just now to ser what is possible wrong.

Post #23031327th Aug 2022 11:54 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

ISTR reading it is a mistake to reset the adaptions on a well worn gearbox.
Do search on the subject ISTR Disco_mickey did an excellent how-to on servicing and setting the GB operating cables up Thumbs Up

Here you go, this may help:
https://disco4.com/forum/autobox-gear-leve...t=Gear+box
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #23031427th Aug 2022 12:44 pm
Kingfisher123

Ok thanks for the reply
I know the attached link and have followed it when I installed a new linkage (kit) on the box together with a new shifter cable. Maybe I'll check this out again.

What is strange is that D works when I have the low gear in. In this mode, the automatic box and the transfer box work perfectly or normally. If this didn't work, I can understand better.

The shifter moves easily and is not mute. The box and shifter work perfectly in positions P, R and N. It is possible to reverse normally and no noises.
But when I put in D (after 2 sec a scraping noise is heard, but avoid this now until I know what the error is).
If I activate the transfer box and put in LOW range, I can put in D as easily as possible but also switch to Sport mode and gĂĽ in 1-3 gears and back again. And also drive the car as well, no noises at all, but runs normally.

And possibly resetting the adapters caused it. Maybe one adapters locked or hung up? But if that happen I should get a error code? Smile

Best regards

Post #23031587th Aug 2022 2:11 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I know you have replaced cable and linkage, but the symptoms suggest linkage not set up correctly. Maybe worth going over it again.

Post #23032208th Aug 2022 4:28 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

+1 Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #23032238th Aug 2022 8:03 am
Kingfisher123

Hello again,
Got D (drive) working again.
I did a calibration of the transfer box (clutch and sensor) on a gentle downhill without a foot brake (very low speed) then I disconnected the shifter cable and readjusted it.
During my troubleshooting, no fault codes were thrown, but now everything works as it should.
After everything worked, I also took the opportunity to change the oil in the transfer box and the automatic.
Thanks for all the advice 😃😃

Post #23103959th Oct 2022 9:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >