Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

Disco4 4x4 System.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Icarus

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Disco4 4x4 System.

As a new owner of my 2009 (2010my) Disco4 3.0 Auto XS, can anybody enlighten me as to how the 4x4 system is set up on this vehicle?

For example, is there a limited slip differential, a low range box, etc etc?

I haven't seen a workshop manual, or read the technical literature at all yet. I know it all just works on my vehicle, but I would like to know HOW it works - particularly before I venture too far off road!

Grateful for any info! Cool

Post #234551919th Aug 2023 11:45 am
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Most D4s have a high and low range box.. there are some exceptions but as you are in UK the two speed box is probably true. In USA the SCV6 came by default without. It has also different programs for snow, mud, rocks, etc.

You have an open differential in the front. You most likely have an open differential in the rear, too. There was an electronic (locking) differential available for the rear, however. It is relatively rare. Visually it’ll look like an electric motor is next to the diff.

I would kindly suggest that you would to take a look at the owner’s manual… Whistle

Post #234552219th Aug 2023 11:59 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

yes, most had low range box. There should be a Lo Hi button on the center console, and a green light on the dash when in Lo. (put in neutral and engine running to select)

If it's been unused, they can get stuck when selecting Lo, to choose your time/location wisely when you first test it

There is the rotary dial, and in some modes this with automatically select Lo I think, and change suspension height, and throttle response, and apply brake to one wheel as necessary

Post #234552319th Aug 2023 12:01 pm
Icarus

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Ah thanks guys!

I suspected that might be the set-up. I only got my D4 at the end of July, drove it around for a short while, and then it's been with my indie LR mechanic for the last fortnight.

It's having a full belt and fluid change, a couple of new tyres, (plus 4 wheel tracking & balance) and the rear upper tailgate fixed among a couple of other minor jobs.

I've been temporarily out of action for driving anyway, following a minor op, so I thought I'd ask on here, as you guys who have owned these vehicles for some time, and used them in all sorts of terrains and weather conditions, would provide me with a simple, easily understood answer.

The owner's manual (OM)is in the vehicle, so I haven't been able to refer to it to find out about the 4x4 system. I've referred to the OM initially to find out about the electronic dipstick, the follow-me home headlight display, and all the other simple driver controls.

The OM is a weighty tome, though pretty comprehensive, and I found it useful so far. I'm not the best when it comes to technical engineering, though I'm ok with modern IT up to a point, but I just thought I'd take the opportunity while I have some "down time" to understand a bit more about the complexity of the vehicle I've bought.

Post #234553019th Aug 2023 1:28 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

In over 300,000 + miles of D3/D4 ownership I never once looked at the Owner Manual Embarassed

Anyway, welcome to the mad house Laughing Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #234553119th Aug 2023 1:47 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

And don’t worry re having the TR/4x4 in the right mode too much. The car will usually do it’s thing in spite of what the driver does re setup rather than because of it. I used to find going up hill the best approach was low box, D and foot flat down on the loud peddle, car sorted itself out just fine.

Gratuitous off-roading pic. Those were the days. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #234553319th Aug 2023 2:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >