Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Lurking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
watteau

United Arab Emirates 
Lurking

I have been lurking in the wings on both RRSPORT and DISCO3 for about a month now, firstly excellent information and very good banter. I live in Dubai with my wife and I am a property developer, I have a 2002 P38 RR, its on its last legs, 120,000 kms, swapped out the air suspension, new engine and gearbox, just before the warranty expired. The RRS SC is 300,000 AED and the LR3 V8 HSE is 210,000 AED, this works out at about 46k GBP and 33k GBP, the LR3 needs an A frame, driving lights and side steps this will be approx 3k GBP, accessories are very expensive over here. Sorry I have to say this but petrol is 1 GBP per gallon over here for the good stuff, so that is not a consideration. I am genuinely stumped as to which to choose, having read every post on both sites, I have come to the conclusion that on pure volume of posts there are more issues with the LR3 than with the RRS in any derivative. (Please correct me if you feel I am misguided) There are common issues such as iPod and PTI, who knows where these will end!!!!! But niggles seem to be abound with the LR3, I would like to know for all you DISCO3 bods, your top 3 loves and your top 3 hates about your respective vehicles.

In return for your valuable input, if any of you would like to visit Dubai, we have several holiday apartments and villas for rent, and as any good contributor to this site does I would be happy to offer a discount and a guided tour, including some serious wadi (dry river) bashing.

I look forward to reading your responses

PS, will be posting the same at RRSPORT

ATB Alex

Post #360345th Jan 2006 10:40 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Alex,

I think the reports a skewed as there ar far more D3 owners and posters out there on the forum.

Had min for a year and she's been running with no problems since an EDU connector re-fit in week 2/3

33K miles nearly and still loving every minute driving it.

At the end of the day both are great off road (RRS has been with us on off road days and gone everywhere we have) so I would say its down to looks, how many seats you need or space. Split tail gate is a real bonus and very practical when camping, picnicking etc etc.

There's so much to like about this vehicle its hard to list the top 3.

But here's a bash :

1. Supreme ride on and off road
2. Sense of security driving on all surfaces
3. Space for all the kids, dog, tent, bags etc without the need for a roof box or kids sitting on sleeping bags Wink

Oh and a constant good feeling whenever your near her Smile

As for bad points... UK fuel prices ! But at 30 MPG ave not too painful.

Bit of a pain parking as most new parking bays over here seem to be getting smaller !

Hope this helps.

-s

Post #360365th Jan 2006 10:54 am
WinchMan

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

My two cents worth is that a lot of the issues are attributable to the 04/05 build vehicles and not the 06. As the RRS came out later I guess that they fixed a fair bit of stuff with the benefit of the intial 04/05 experience.

We had the same dilemma on choice as well - but only theoretically - as our 2 yr old and her staggering amount of kit settled it for us. The RRS felt to me similar to our old X5, fantastic piece of kit, great lads car but not that practical. Without a doubt we would have gone for the RRS if it was still only the 2 of us. I am sure most other people who were struggling betereen the 2 or were looking at similar cars (we also looked at the new ML but discarded it for pretty much the same reason) came out the same way. If you have children nothing beats the Discovery. Period.
 WinchMan  
Post #360405th Jan 2006 11:13 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mine over a year old, with 33k on the clock, a few early issues but nothing significant wrong for ages now.

+ Points :
1.Space and lots of it inside for all the family and their friends.
2.Looks fantastic from any angle.
3.Off Road ability seriously impressed me, and I have been driving Land Rovers for 10 years now. This is the real deal.

-ve points Crying or Very sad
1.Fuel consumption is way off land Rover claimed figures for Auto trans.
2.Some features missing - IPOD - PHONE (on my model anyway), pre-heater fiasco.
3.UK Dealer network, some good, some bad, some shocking.

Overall I prefer the D3 to the RRs on its more rugged looks, it just looks more fit for purpose. I sat in a RRs and whilst it is very very good, I have to agree with Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear when he says that their is not enough to differentiate it from the 'real' Range Rover.

Its a close call.

Post #360755th Jan 2006 5:29 pm
yosser395

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Spent quite a few years in Dubai and Al-ain myself in the 80's, fuel was less than 30p a gallon then!!

Had my D3 over a year now, only a couple of niggles at the start.

Positives of D3
1. Spacious inside with comfortable seating for 7
2. Good looking from all angles.
3. Smooth and refined to drive, along with good fuel economy

Negatives:
1. Electronic park brake does not work well in conjunction with manual
gearbox.
2. Can't think of any more !!!!

Post #361185th Jan 2006 8:22 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I am in the slightly unusual position of owning both a D3 and a RRS. In my opinion the D3 has more charm and functionality than the RRS at a lower price. The RRS is a tad more sporty and portrays quite a different image. As for reliability neither has given us any trouble at all (D3 done 25k miles and the RRS less than 1k miles). Obviously its very much a matter of personal taste which you would prefer, but I would buy another D3 any day of the week and cannot say the same about the RRS.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #361625th Jan 2006 11:20 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

Smarticus wrote:
I am in the slightly unusual position of owning both a D3 and a RRS. ....but I would buy another D3 any day of the week and cannot say the same about the RRS.

Wow! Considering you've got all the toys in the HSE RRS and few in the S D3, that's pretty interesting.

In buying the D3, the compelling reasons were
1) towing ability
2) seating
3) pricing

After 5 months of ownership, minimal concerns, but if I had to name 3:
1) Censored -poor plastic trim cover set-up over the towing sockets
2) incomplete implementation of timed pre-heater
3) lame headlamp switching facility
Hardly deal-breaking, just irksome.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #361765th Jan 2006 11:43 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Actually most of the toys in the RRS really annoy me. The Sat Nav is almost useless (in fact it uses up a really useful space) whilst the voice activation is initially a joke, and after a while a really sick one.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #361816th Jan 2006 12:09 am
angrd020

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

This vehicle has been a most pleasant surprise for me. I have run several off-road trails back to back with my D3(LR3) and Jeep Wrangler. The D3 has yet to let me down on the trail! Jeep runs into some tight spots, D3 does the same with a little trail rash on the sides. What I like about the D3 is that I can have some serious off-road fun with it and then drive it to a black tie event without breaking a sweat.

What's Hot:

1.Totally Utilitarian = Extremely Useful
2.Off-Road ability = Brings tears to my Jeeps eyes
3.Superior All Weather Traction Controls = Supreme Confidence

What's Not:

1.Gas is not free = Wallet weeps when near D3 Shocked
2.Too easy to drive in any weather = Wife hogs it whenever she can! Evil or Very Mad
3.No Hi-Lift jack points = Uber serious wheeling(Getting Stuck) demands it! Twisted Evil

ALR
 2005 Tonga Green Land Rover LR3(Yes I wheel it!!!)
2002 Shale Green Jeep WranglerX(Yes I wheel it!!!)
1994 Red Jeep Cherokee (Use it as a spare vehicle)

DO IT! DO IT NOW!!! 

Post #363106th Jan 2006 2:21 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I've had my D3 since April 05. I love it and drive it almost everyday. Great on the road and off the road. It's used for daily transport and 4WDing/touring/camping.

3 loves:
1. Comfortable ride and interior space.
2. Ease of driving/parking.
3. Stereo (best I've ever had anyway)

3+ hates:
1. Loose electrical connections causing a number of errors and lost functions but all is fixed now. Leaking A/C pipe joins causing lost refrigerant 3 times now.
2. Easily marked plastics inside and out - not good for 4WDing
3. Limited amount of aftermarket accessories for 4WDing/touring even after 1 year.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #363126th Jan 2006 4:47 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >