DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Towbar electrics
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
markyd

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Towbar electrics

Hi all,

I'm sure that this has been covered elsewhere but after a lengthy perusal of the site via the search function I can't quite find the answer that I'm looking for. So sorry for any repetition.

I've just fitted a towbar and twin electrics to the D3 (a surprisingly easy process - only one skinned knuckle to show for it Thumbs Up ). I'd thought that I'd need to get the electrics activated by the dealer but the 12N connection worked fine last night on a trailer board - and having read around it seems that all the dealer activation does is to disable the rear PDC and the foglights when it detects a trailer connection. I can live without this until the next service.

However, does the activation do anything for the 12S connection (the one that powers the caravan fridge/ charges the battery) or will this work without it? I haven't got the caravan to hand to try it out and I'd like to find out before we go off on our hols in a couple of weeks time.

Thanks in advance
 ---------------
MarkyD 

Post #46002328th Apr 2009 2:54 pm
buzz

England 

mine worked fine with the caravan with no dealer intervention..... Thumbs Up
 Gone.......but not forgotten

06 Zermatt 7 seat auto with PDC and privacy

Club £400 V.E.D. 

Post #46008428th Apr 2009 5:48 pm
blueanchorinn
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Mine was dealer fitted from new and although it disables the PDC the fog lights still work which do glare a bit on the front of the van. Are they supposed to disable ? if so I will have to pay them a visit sometime. 12S works fine but they may well have done something there for their £££££££££
 Pot Noodle Challenge Winner 2011
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person 

Post #46008828th Apr 2009 5:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

All the electrics will work fine, it's only the disabling of PDC and not raising the air suspension to off road height when towing that is affected. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #46008928th Apr 2009 5:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

all the power sockets will work... when you have it activated it stops the d3 lifting up when you change terrain response ( save you acidentialy lifting the car up with a caravan for example connected) you can still use the raise / lower button though
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #46009028th Apr 2009 6:00 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Everyone has already said it - electrics work fine. Dealer enabled bit disables auto height change triggered by terrain response. This only happens in Low Ratio anyway. So it's not exactly mind blowing . . . .
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #46009728th Apr 2009 6:06 pm
markyd

Thanks everyone. I shan't be rushing off to the dealers then...
 ---------------
MarkyD 

Post #46022528th Apr 2009 10:10 pm
GaryEss

United Kingdom 

There is one more automatic height change that is inhibited by using a correctly fitted genuine trailer module.
If the vehicle is driven above a pre- determined threshold speed (for more than 5 seconds) the suspension can automatically lower to a height that is less than the "normal" on road height to promote high speed stability by lowering the vehicle Cof G.
With the approved trailer module fitted this height change will not occur when a trailer is connected.

This feature is market specific (not enabled for some countries, cannot remember if UK is "on").

The speed threshold is set quite high (100mph is the figure I have seen so standard diesels have no chance with a 4 berth in tow), so you do not need to worry about this unless you intend to tow at speeds quite a way above the UK national limit with a non- approved trailer module
Remember you must also do this for more than 5 seconds for the EAS to lower, so ensure to maintain control for at least the required period to prove the scenario......
2 other changes necessary will be the tyres on your caravan beforehand (speed rating) and your underwear afterwards.
(I suppose the above could be classed as useless information unless you are quite mad!)

I am not sure if the system designers thought of that someone might be crazy enough to exceed 100mph with a trailer in tow, or (more likely) the "system auto height change inhibit with trailer" was designed as a blanket command for whenever a trailer is connected

The auto lowering feature at speed has been included on lots of EAS equipped LandRovers- has anyone had the pleasure of owing an air sprung Classic? New Range Rovers (LM) also have it but theirs works at a lower speed than a D3 or RRSport

Post #46039929th Apr 2009 11:57 am
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

And if you just put a bike rack on the back not a trailer, you might want to be able to select off road height with something plugged in Wink

Post #46040029th Apr 2009 11:57 am
markyd

I can just imagine the reaction of SWMBO if I sped off on our hols at 100mph with the caravan in tow Twisted Evil
Not sure that the eardrums would stand it though. Smile

The consensus elsewhere on the forums is that the D3 is a pretty stable towing vehicle so I am looking forward to being able to move along at a fair rate with the caravan behind (but not at 100mph!). With the D2 it never felt completely sure-footed at speed, even with a stabiliser.
 ---------------
MarkyD 

Post #46046829th Apr 2009 3:22 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

TallPaul wrote:
And if you just put a bike rack on the back not a trailer, you might want to be able to select off road height with something plugged in Wink

Whistle you still can, you just manually select off-road height. This is the automated functionality when in low ratio box Thumbs Up
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #46047329th Apr 2009 3:48 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

Nice...

I don't own a trailer (no where to store one at the moment) so have taken the route of leaving it as is.. although the amount of trips the car makes to the dealer they should throw it in one day! Whistle

Post #46051129th Apr 2009 5:20 pm
BADASS

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I have found the off road height adjustment useful when coupling up my caravan. The detatchable tow hook sits fairly low and sometimes it is not possible to fully retract the jockey wheel when it is not properly aligned. All you have to do is raise the suspension and heypresto the jockey wheel can be easily turned into alignment and then stowed. Remember to return the suspension to normal height before pulling off.
 RESISTANCE IS FUTILE  
Post #4631975th May 2009 11:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >