Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Water in the cabin
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ARN

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Water in the cabin

Hi - first post here and hoping that someone can point me in the right direction re a problem my wife discovered this morning, namely a rather large puddle in the driver's foot well after last nights heavy rain. I've not seen the damage/puddle yet but she informs me that the doors, windows and sunroof were all shut. She also says that when she drove the car water was coming from the airbag 'button'? on the side pillar.

Car was purchased in Mar 09, from a Ford main dealer and is covered by their own warranty. Model is a 2005 HSE

I read somewhere on the forum that this could be a known problem related to blocked drainage hoses from sunroof?

Post #47224126th May 2009 11:18 am
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

It's usually either blocked sunroof hoses, or a replacement windscreen where the trim has not been re-fitted correctly.

Either way, it's back to the dealer if still in warranty Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #47224326th May 2009 11:30 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Most likely sunroof is the cause, yes. Especially given the A pillar leaking.
You are probably out of warranty. You could first open the sunroof have a look to see if the tube is blocked at the the top, where it drains from the channel. Otherwise you will need to get at the other end. I think it is behind the air intake but as I don't haver a sunroof i am not sure.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #47224526th May 2009 11:34 am
lee157

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Same as what SJR says, sunroof drain tubes or A pillar outer black trim. The car can hide alot of water in the footwells without you actually seeing it, the carpet and insulation just absorb and hold it, and it will need to be over 1 inch deep before you'll be able to see it. I took the front kick panels out, the plastic gutering trim by the footwell that runs front to back and the B post lower trim out to try and dry out the carpets, it took 3 months using news paper and towels etc

I also bought my Disco 3 from a ford garage and found out they didn't really know a great deal about them, which is a bit worrying when it comes to repairs under warrenty.

Good luck

Lee

Post #47227126th May 2009 12:50 pm
ARN

Just got back and had a look at the general area of the sun roof. I couldn't see anything obviously looking like drainage holes, etc, but what i did see was that the two blue plastic push bolts/clips that hold the interior lighting unit to the headlining and onto the surrounding window frame had become attached. So my theory is that if water was getting in it instead of disappearing through the designed channels it was going through these two holes first, behind the headlining and hence into the foot well.

I suppose I could test this theory using my hose, but as my wife has spent all day tring to dry the carpet, I'm not sure that this would go down too well....

Post #47243226th May 2009 7:50 pm
caverD3

Follow the link:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic22757.html
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #47253027th May 2009 2:21 am
ARN

Thanks CaverD3 - the link you supplied has cured, I hope, the problem. The drain pipe was in fact blocked at its exit, ie behind the driver's side air intake. Once unblocked a stream of water erupted from the plug. I know it's clear now as i tested by opening the sun roof and pouring a little water into the drainage channel - the water flowed freely out of the exit.

Thanks to all who replied - a great resource and community for all Discovery 3 enthusiasts!

Post #47261127th May 2009 9:50 am
caverD3

Another good result. Thumbs Up
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #47261927th May 2009 10:22 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >