DISCO4.COM > General

Rear tyre pressures when towing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4
Rear tyre pressures when towing

Hi to you all,

I am wondering what any of you do with regards to tyre pressures when towing? We have a caravan which has a MTPLM of 1440 kgs. The car is fitted with 19" HSE wheels. In the handbook, it says to increase the rear tyre pressures to the maximum (42psi? - handbook in the car at the moment!) when towing. To me this seems excessive for a relatively light load. My previous chariot was a Rover 75 Tourer which required no adjustment to tyre pressures.

Thanks in anticipation.

Nigel.

Post #4770276th Jun 2009 7:42 am
al cope

England 

On my Old D2, I used to increase the rear tyre pressures when towing our twin axle 'van, so did the same the first time I towed with the D3, but to be honest, it doesnt need it. I've had my D3 nearly 4 years now, and havnt changed the rear pressures from normal (non towing) again since that first time.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #4770426th Jun 2009 9:08 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Al, thank you for that. I will leave them and see how we go.

Nigel.

Post #4772416th Jun 2009 7:50 pm
quantumjohn

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I do increase the pressure in the rear tyres when towing my 4 wheel car trailer but generally that is because there is a load of spares in the boot at the same time. However, I only increase it by 3 psi each rather than 6.

John

Post #4772936th Jun 2009 9:18 pm
Discofever

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I tow regularly with my D3, and whilst it may not be totally necessary to increase the pressures, I find it helps. I tow a variety of trailers the heaviest comes in at 2 tons - twin axle. With the pressure raised the ride is much smoother, if the pressures are left in the standard mode the whole rig bucks ever so slightly, which feels quite unpleasant. So I suppose its just down to personal preference.
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE auto, Cairns Blue, Lamp Guards, LR Roof Bars - Just love it!
Club AT2 

Post #47981611th Jun 2009 9:43 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Barry C-All

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

My caravan MTPLM is 1500kg, and I inflate to the recommended pressures with no adverse effect.
I doubt if LandRovers published that pressure (42psi ) without due consideration,trials and consultation with the tyre manufacturers,and I would suggest that not to inflate could leave you open to criticism or prosecution in the event of your being involved in a serious accident; one of the first things the Police accident investigators will do is check the tyre pressures of vehicles involved. Neutral Wink

Post #47985211th Jun 2009 10:42 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >