Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Post Offroad Maintenance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
GavinB

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Post Offroad Maintenance

After getting into this offroad lark really enjoyed a weekend laning and at Hogmoor Very Happy Very Happy and now having EPB issues, I was thinking what maintenance people carryout on their D3's (eg EPB, compressor cover) and how often.

Post #64766711th May 2010 3:25 pm
sarumlight

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself.

Somewhere in the manual it tells you to clean and adjust the EPB after every 50 miles of offroad use or something like that. In reality I don't think anyone does, but when you have an issue, either do it yourself or get it done professionally. Whatever you do don't leave it "screaming" or you'll end up with a big bill for replacing the actuator.

I had an issue with mine binding after my first offroad day at Yarwell in 2009. Iain Lambert (10forcash on here - he's a site sponsor) came down and sorted it out, and I've had no problems since despite many offroad excursions. I'd thoroughly recommend him.

Cleaning out the compressor housing and hosing out the intercooler are a good idea too.

Post #64767111th May 2010 3:35 pm
D4JWW

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Mine started screaming 5 days after Hogmoore at 50MPH, went away after removing wheels and using hosepipe poked into back of discs and removing plastic plug between wheelstuds, not much came out but di spent a fortune at et wash ust after the hogmoore weekend Evil or Very Mad
People in que behind me did wonder whyle I ust setwqashing the underside of my car Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter . But TFC is the man to speak to about any problem relating to D3, solved my locking wheel nut problem Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #64868813th May 2010 10:48 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Gavin - it depends on what has happened during your offroad excursion and what the conditions were like. I usually do the following:

- Compressor clean out (as said)

- Hose down the wheel arches, wheels, hubs, brakes and general wheel area (I find there is a lot of places where mud accumulates that a normal car wash will not clear

- Stick the hose pipe into the RLD sill protectors to flush out mud etc

- If wading/been in deep muddy water, remove front grill and fan cover in engine bay and spend a couple of hours (and several thousand gallons of water...) standing by the D3 with a hose pipe gently washing water through the radiator and intercooler from back to front. There is a "how to" posted by MrH.

- Stick the hose pipe in all the areas (ie cross-members) that seem to have been exceptionally well designed to collect as much mud as possible whilst at the same time being just as good at not being able to be cleaned by car wash etc...

- If very muddy, and on a regular basis, remove front protection plate plus all the other OEM metal/plastic coverings under the vehicle and brush/poke/scrape/attack with a chisel and hammer all the mud, crud etc

- Spend the afternoon listening to SWMBO complain that the D3 is again dismantled and spread all over the drive and that there is water and mud everywhere and when are you going to finish and do all the other more important things that need doing and what about all that mud you're not going to leave it to dry like you did last time are you....you get the picture... Laughing

Never adjusted the EPB myself...think I will give it go soon, though.
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #64873314th May 2010 7:29 am
D4JWW

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

JFlux good guide on cleaning Bow down , all true, Thumbs Up

Post #64918515th May 2010 7:15 am
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Gavin, Compressor cover clean out is worth doing, i've moded mine so that you can put a hose into the the cover and flush out the rubbish (I'll show you at slindon) I copied what DiscoDunc did and it should also help it keep clean as well.

Bodsy has writen a brake bible so I'd suggest you look at that for EPB cleaning etc.

Give the intercooler a clean out (not with a Jet Wash)

Stick the car into offroad height and give the wheels, brakes and air suspension a good clean out.
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #64919315th May 2010 8:23 am
GavinB

Thanks guys

I thinks that will keep me busy enough, there is one I would like to add myself . That is hoover out the rear seats and floor if i've had the boys with us as you can not believe the carnage that goes on due to them Evil or Very Mad

Post #64954216th May 2010 3:52 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

That has nothing to do with going offroad...but everything to do with having kids loose in the back of the car... Laughing
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #64954416th May 2010 3:54 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Yes, the kids are a menace in that respect; and that's why my car is now called Skippy Sad
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #64983017th May 2010 8:53 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >