Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Sunburn
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
garyemms1974

Sunburn

Do you know if you can get sunburnt through the glass in a disco 3. I am just a little concerned about my 9 month old child in rear seat. Or am I best to block out light totally from the side window.

Post #78905023rd Apr 2011 8:19 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Yes bud you can I burn easy and I get sun burnt in my D3 sometimes .

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #78906423rd Apr 2011 8:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bp

United Kingdom 

yes can get burned you need a window screen thingy from mother care or somewhere similar for baby Thumbs Up
 Don’t worry it is supposed to sound like that...honest  
Post #78906823rd Apr 2011 8:54 pm
CMG

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Get some nice black tint:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 17 Discovery 5 HSE Si6, Fuji White on brown | 07 LR3 SE 4.4 Java Black on Alpaca
Club V8/Club OCD

Post #78910423rd Apr 2011 10:40 pm
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Glass is not Low E

garyemms1974 wrote:
Do you know if you can get sun burnt through the glass in a disco 3. I am just a little concerned about my 9 month old child in rear seat. Or am I best to block out light totally from the side window.
What I find odd about all EU vehicles is that almost none of the windscreen or side glass seems to have any Infra Red rejection qualities, tinted, yes, but no IR rejection. For the most part, even the cheapest American made cars and trucks how have as standard, what I call Low E glass, glass that has Low Emissivity characteristics to reject Infra Red, the heat rays of the sun. All glass now seems to reject UV as I guess that is easy. As for IR, well, it cannot be too difficult but I think that for the most part, the sun rarely shines brightly in either the UK or the EU, hence it is not seen as needed.

I have looked at the spec on the Autobiography FFRR's here in Canada, and just maybe they have Low E now speced, but if so, it is a recent thing; same with the full load Mercedes cars, just getting to be included. I see sound attenuating glass, (the little ear symbol), as being common, but IR rejection, that is still rare.

To solve the problem on at least the front side glass of my LR3, I installed a clear IR rejecting film per the link below. It does work quite well, but back to the question of a baby, well a towel over the window is for certain.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...e%2078.pdf
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #78913624th Apr 2011 12:59 am
Bonehead

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

My understanding is you cant get sunburn through glass. Although you can through plastic 'glass'.

I seem to remember being told this by my physics teacher and again by the RAF when flying aircraft with plastic canopies.

I might google it.

Post #78917524th Apr 2011 9:50 am
Bonehead

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

I did google it so it looks like my old teacher was wrong and right:

1. Have you wondered if you can get sunburn or tan through a window? A window acts like a sunscreen. It does not block all the UV radiation but it does block the most dangerous wavelengths of UV radiation. Glass absorbs short wavelength ultraviolet light, but it does pass 350 to 400 nanometer ultraviolets. While this longer wavelength ultraviolet is less harmful than the shorter wavelength variety, you can still tan or burn if you get enough exposure. You will burn much more quickly when driving with the windows down and exposed to the sun as compared to driving with the windows up and exposed to the sun.

Post #78917624th Apr 2011 9:53 am
bbyer

That was a good explanation.

I appreciated that explanation of Ultra Violet. I guess that is why one can get a sunburn from one of these tanning beds, but at the same time, not feel that one is being cooked.

It is the Infra Red coming thru the glass that gives the cooked feeling and what I most dislike when driving even in long sleeved shirts. This is why I put the Air80Blue "near clear" film on the front side windows of my 3. I like the light coming in but not the cooked bit that goes with it. Also the fact that I cannot purchase a Low E wind screen for a Land Rover but can for a Chev is annoying.

What amused me the most when driving in the North African desert is that we would cruise around in the Defenders with the air conditioning off and the windows rolled up. Too much dust would come in with a fan on, and a 40C wind drafting thru the cab just added to the oven effect. At least the solid roof kept the sun off our heads and given that the sun was mostly directly overhead, one did not really get roasted whereas here in the Northern latitudes, the summer sun in the late afternoons is more down on the horizon and shining directly thru the windows.
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #78926424th Apr 2011 5:07 pm
jonno1

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I use these. Much better than pimp glass and removeable too. www.vanstyle.co.uk

Post #78929024th Apr 2011 7:46 pm
bbyer

Kind of similar to the sun roof shades?

jonno1 wrote:
I use these. Much better than pimp glass and removable too. www.vanstyle.co.uk
That looks quite good. I assume that they are the fabric kind similar to what Land Rover has for the roll up material for the three sun roof locations?

The Land Rover roll up material is good in that not only does it restrict the UV, but apparently also the Infra Red that brings the heat with it - important for the roof as the glass tint only stops the UV and effectively none of the IR.

I myself also do not like the pimp look on the side glass, hence my use of the clear film primarily designed to restrict IR, but still allow normal vision, and I think, cause less attention.
Post #78930724th Apr 2011 8:41 pm
jonno1

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I get virtually normal vision when driving. Saw them on another forum member's D3 when he came to pick up some stuff. His rear child seat was extremely well protected. They literally took minutes to fit and they are removeable and stowable in seconds. Very rare for me to rave over a product but these are the proverbial 'dogs'.
The company that makes them seems to be next door to the company that distributes them.
PS: Mine arrived within two days.

Post #78931224th Apr 2011 9:01 pm
fade2grey

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Jonno do you have any pic of them in yours? Do they fit the d3 well? Would be a good option for us rather than tints
 56 HSE  
Post #78951825th Apr 2011 6:26 pm
jonno1

Don't have any pics but the blinds fit just as you see in the pics on the website. They really do look like what you see, (which makes a pleasant change).

Post #78953525th Apr 2011 7:24 pm
jonno1

Forgot to mention that the rear windows can be used normally.

Post #78953625th Apr 2011 7:34 pm
jonno1

Re: Kind of similar to the sun roof shades?

bbyer wrote:
jonno1 wrote:
I use these. Much better than pimp glass and removable too. www.vanstyle.co.uk
That looks quite good. I assume that they are the fabric kind similar to what Land Rover has for the roll up material for the three sun roof locations?

The Land Rover roll up material is good in that not only does it restrict the UV, but apparently also the Infra Red that brings the heat with it - important for the roof as the glass tint only stops the UV and effectively none of the IR.

I myself also do not like the pimp look on the side glass, hence my use of the clear film primarily designed to restrict IR, but still allow normal vision, and I think, cause less attention.

I don't have a sunroof so I am not familiar with the fabric on the D3.

Post #78953725th Apr 2011 7:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >