Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Disco3 Sand Driving
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
ian mac

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Disco3 Sand Driving

Hi to the forum. It,s a great site.Wish i had found it before i put my money down but would not have had a big impact on my choice.I traded my beloved but thirsty 1999 disco2 v8 ace on a tdv6 se june20.I had researched as many mags as could be found on the subject prior to purchase and was a little biased to the new disco as it will be no. 3 when i get my hands on it.Because i insisted on having the locking rear e diff i was informed i may have to wait 3 months.Iwas tempted to take one of the showroom trucks but decided that when one spends this sort of money you should get what you want.Like so many of the fellow forum members i have now confirmed my car will be built in september and delivered in december(maybe).Ouch. I read on the forum and in 4wd mags that the car has some issues on sand.As sand driving is a big part of my offroad life i would love to get some feedback from anyone with experience.Qld is blessed with great beach driving/camping areas on the mainland and awesome sand islands with no sealed roads.Amongst others (e.g.tyre pressure}car clearance and momentum play large parts in soft sand driving.Do drivers recommend raising the car and staying under 40klm or staying down and useing suitable (& safe)speed?. ian mac Confused

Post #7907717th Aug 2006 11:13 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Sand driving issues have been dicussed on this forum before. The vehicle will tend to lower automatically too soon when you need momentum on dunes. I am sure others have had more experience in sand than me.
anyone know whee the other post is?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #7908517th Aug 2006 11:35 am
Jamo

Australia 

Hello Ian and welcome to the forum! Very Happy

Height depends on the depth of the sand. I usually stay at off road height and keep the speed under 50kph (you have to put up with the chiming warning over 40kph, but it doesn't lower automatically until 50).

If you're runing the standard 18"s you'll need to lower the pressures to as low as 10-12psi on soft sand in oreder to get floatation. I've got a second set of 17"s with Cooper STT's on for when i go off road, so i only have to lower these to about 16 psi. Given these low pressures, it's not wise to go over 40/50kph anyway, but you probably already know that.

The only other secret to sand driving is you MUST turn off the DSC using the button in the dash (above the radio)..

The journos who don't like it on sand try to drive it like a pootrol or Luiser and don't understand the car!

If you can afford it, get a set of Perfornance Wheels BB6 17*8 wheels and put on LT245/70R17 STT's. The higher sidewall and the chinkier tread have complimented the TR on the D3 and made it virtually unstoppable on soft sand! Of course, some guys have left o the 18's and gone for bigger tyres. They've reported some rubbing, but they claim it's nothing to worry about.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #7908617th Aug 2006 11:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jamo

Australia 

caverD3 wrote:
Sand driving issues have been dicussed on this forum before. The vehicle will tend to lower automatically too soon when you need momentum on dunes.

On long dunes perhaps, but cresting most deep sandy dunes at high speed is scary stuff!.

I would think that those mag writers who've had troubles haven't had pressures low enough for the soft sand.

My experience, however, is entirely coastal.
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #7908817th Aug 2006 11:43 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
catweasel

dont know if this is what you're after
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic5603.ht...nd+driving
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic4899.ht...nd+driving
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic529.htm...nd+driving
maybe try extended mode and let us know how you get on (stability wise)

just looking for a guinea pig Whistle

Post #7908917th Aug 2006 11:46 am
Jamo

Australia 

Stability is excellent in extended mode! Been there many times.

I found it a bit odd that Alan Whiting complained in 4x4Australia that air supension vehicles had problems in off road height 'as there was no more travel left". What about the extra 70mm available via extended and emergency extended modes??
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #7909317th Aug 2006 11:53 am
catweasel

bet he drives a cruiser

Post #7909417th Aug 2006 11:54 am
Jamo

Australia 

By the look of him, I think he drives a gopher!
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #7909517th Aug 2006 11:56 am
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi and welcome ian mac to the forum

Whilst my D3 is just 6 months old I haven't had it in soft sand yet so I can't comment first hand.

If any of the other posters haven't mentioned a German company that modifies D3s then see this link:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic5615.html

Matzker have a device that tricks the vehicle suspension to adopt other heights. This may help when a greater height is required as it is on the likes of Fraser Is where speeds can be above 40 kph (which is when it wants to return to normal height).

Other tahn that I was thinking of the LRA DVD and what it said about sand driving. But I can't find it at the moment. Anyone else remember what was mentioned re crossing soft dunes?

Leigh
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #7910517th Aug 2006 12:12 pm
ian mac

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Sand Driving

Thanks for all reply,s.I look forward to finding out on sand for myself.Will check the past chats.Also will try the extra low pressure with height up when i get the chance.I have only had issues in past with slow speed off barge onto chewed up sand. ian

Post #7911117th Aug 2006 12:23 pm
Jamo

Australia 

Over 1500Euros for the Matzker kit!!! I think you're better off learning how to use the car.
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #7911717th Aug 2006 12:33 pm
Jamo

Australia 
Re: Sand Driving

ian mac wrote:
I have only had issues in past with slow speed off barge onto chewed up sand. ian

Then definitley make sure you turn off the DSC. The initial drive onto the soft sand is where most of us came unstuck (or should I say stuck!) when we forgot about DSC.
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #7912017th Aug 2006 12:53 pm
Boyce

2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3
Disco 3 sand driving and off road height

Dear All,

I see all the comments about driving in sand and the issue about the Disco 3 lowering from off-road height when above 50km/hr. Well, try lowering tyre pressure to approx 1.2 bar, think about the inch or so you now lose, now sink a few inches into loose sand, now try driving the car in softer sand or behind a vehicle, i.e. in a track.... it becomes an extremely messy affair. Try doing this at 45 / just under the MAGIC 50km / presribed limit for a distance of 200 km's when the rest of the convoy is merilly chugging along. Unfurtunately the Disco 3 with this feature is not a great sand vehicle! Has someone been able to bypass this? What other solutions? Crying or Very sad

Post #7965320th Aug 2006 11:46 pm
catweasel

do a search for Matzker, German company. pricey though Shocked

Post #7967021st Aug 2006 8:23 am
d3syd

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Ventured onto the beach here a few weeks ago, somewhere I'd been previously in my Td5 without any trouble and promptly got bogged. Forgot to switch off DSC Embarassed and didn't let the tyres down (didn't need to in my D2).

Switched DSC off, 15 PSI in tyres and it just floated out of the hole it was in. Smile
 '06 TDV6 SE AUTO BUCKINGHAM BLUE
'98 Volvo V70
'87 Mecedes 420 SEL
'08 BMW 135i Coupe Twin Turbo 

Post #7974621st Aug 2006 1:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >