DISCO4.COM > General

What to Buy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
DirtyDisco

2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4
What to Buy

Hello All

I have decided to buy a D3 having had a test drive. I will be buying a TDV6 in SE trim. The question is what to opt for in terms of extras. Happily this is a considerably smaller task than it would have been if I had elected to buy an Merc E280 sport estate, which I would have done were it not for the impromptu test drive I took at the local LR dealer. Discovery really is the Range Rover as was.

The vehicle I drove was a Metropolis or Masterpiece or Mistletoe or something. This is the flagship it seems . From the moment we pulled away the ride felt superb....Limo' like.

The only reservation being power..this has been dealt with under a separate post.

So back to the question what to add as options and accessories. As the vehicle is pretty loaded in SE trim the choices are few. Are there any that you particularly recommend and why?

I would be interested in your opinions on... Mud flaps, mat sets, load area protectors, Wheels (ease of cleaning and ride (18'' or 19'')), side mouldings, tow bars, Blue tooth phone prep,

I also fancy having the plastics painted in body colour as per the black 'mistletoe' that I drove. the dealer has quoted £600 for this. I thought that it looked smart.

I look forward to your comments. I will try to get some photographs of my other LR products added..for your amusement.

Cheers
 Serial Depreciation Victim

07 D3 TDV6 HSE. Side Steps. Privacy. TV. Stornoway + Alpaca. 

Post #9657024th Oct 2006 7:23 pm
Airboss

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

I can offer two bits of advice. First, if you ever anticipate using a bluetooth connection in your car (I love mine), get it now. It's too difficult (impossible?) to add it later. Second, if you plan on doing any serious off-road traveling, get the 18" wheels. There are far more options for off-road tires (okay...tyres) in the 18" size.

Oh, one more thing...from what I've read on this forum the mud flaps are crap.

Post #9658324th Oct 2006 8:23 pm
Chris200100

Wales 

the bluetooth can be fitted after and isn't too hard to do tho you got to get two parts for it to work and you don't get the cradle conector so it's better to get it done as a factory option.

I would get the 19" wheels as there is no offrd tyres that are a direct fit for the 18" you would have to go over size (like what I have done), you can get the goodyear MTR offrd tyre for the 19" wheels these are good for both on and off rd.

you may consider upgrading the sat nav to the premium version as you get offrd nav and 4x4 info with it.

Xenon light are always worth the extra there are two types normal xenon and adaptive ones, I got the normal ones on mine and think the adaptive one are a little too pricey as extras for my liking.

Hope this helps

Post #9658624th Oct 2006 8:34 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Definitely get the bluetooth phone kit. It is excellent and much safer (and legal!).
Go for 19" wheels if you're only using it on road, as it does improve the handling. However, at £1,100 extra you'd probably be better off spending this money on some bolt on extras instead.
The load area mats, mud flaps, mat sets etc etc can probably be purchased cheaper afterwards, unless your dealer will give you a 20% on them.
The tow pack can be purchased much cheaper on eBay etc. If you don't mind fitting the cable loom (fiddly but easy) then you can save yourself £150 or more.

As for the painted wheel arch trims - it's a matter of taste. Personally I don't like them. The D3 looks better (more rugged) with plastic trim. I would be worried about all that painted trim when parking in Tescos!

Probably the best extra you could buy for an SE is the auto box.
The sat nav upgrade is worth the extra £500 as it gives you TMC, off-roading settings display, off-roading navigation and voice control.
Bluetooth is well worth having.
Xenon lights are great, but expensive.
Privacy glass is worth going for - it makes them look so much better and reduces heat etc.

I have an HSE, so have all the toys. If I was going for an SE and just wanted to spend £2.5K on factory options, I would go for auto box, bluetooth, sat nav upgrade and privacy glass.
 Matt  
Post #9659724th Oct 2006 9:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

DirtyD, are you going for a manual or paying for the auto option? this probably decides the options, if you're having the manual I'd agree with Matt etc on the enhanced sat, privacy glass PTI, Xenons etc (I did!) if you're paying the extra for the auto then I would go for the HSE instead as you get that and all the bits
bar the privacy on it anyway?
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #9660024th Oct 2006 9:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DirtyDisco

Yes, I will be getting the auto. The HSE carries a premium of £4k? I am led to understand that xenon lights, Harmon Kardon and Console Cooler are standard now on SE. The HSE gets the triple glass roof and ?....

Is the HSE worth the extra?

Post #9660124th Oct 2006 9:19 pm
Tim in Scotland

Scotland 

This is a very relevant post for me as I was wondering about SE or HSE and whether the £6k premium was worth it........... I don't carry rear seat passengers so is the rear aircon necessary and things like that when I came to the conclusion that an SE with autobox, locking rear diff, premium nav, PTi, tow pack, adaptive headlights and the G4 accessories except for the roof rack (don't need all that space on the roof as I'm single and have all that interior room to myself!) and raised intake is the way to go if I am to replace my Def90 and RRS with a single vehicle. Now the problem is finding one in the colour I want......................... white
 Now a disillusioned new Land Rover buyer and have jumped ship to something less expensive and more reliable that hugs trees.... now driving a Mini Countryman PHEV as well as my trusty and brilliant 1996 Epsom Green Defender90 Tdi300  
Post #9660224th Oct 2006 9:22 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

cooler box, premium sound is on the SE now, Xenons have been removed again ( if the LR site is to be believed ) but I ould recommend having them last time I looked they were about £700? the factory PTI is def worth having in my opinion, add the three together and you're halfway to the £4k gap, which
I would imagine would more than offset in resale... even if you are a serial dep victim! Smile
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #9660424th Oct 2006 9:30 pm
DirtyDisco

Interesting. I specified white as my required colour in conversation with the dealer. I spend a fair bit of time in the states where white is very popular. It is of course very practical in sunny weather (not that we get much). The dealer said "you don't want white" and went on to explain that when somebody ordered a white RR they insisted on a 50% deposit. I am also told that I will have to wait a long time for a white vehicle. I think they look pretty good in white. Do you think residual value will be an issue with white?

Post #9660524th Oct 2006 9:30 pm
Tim in Scotland

Scotland 

Dirty, I was told exactly the same things - won't be worth as much, will be dead difficult to get, and even though it will be the 6th LR you will have bought from us this time we want a deposit! I think dealers are sh*t scared that they will be left with a white one on their hands and yet everybody who has seen one thinks they look great. Same goes for buying a white RRS, the dealer would not entertain it. I just said to them today that if they didn't want to find me one then I'm sure that another dealer would.

Anyway who is it that is spending all this money, me or the dealer?
BTW I spent 2 hours driving around in their TDv8 RR Vogue today........... that is one fantastic engine.
 Now a disillusioned new Land Rover buyer and have jumped ship to something less expensive and more reliable that hugs trees.... now driving a Mini Countryman PHEV as well as my trusty and brilliant 1996 Epsom Green Defender90 Tdi300  
Post #9660824th Oct 2006 9:44 pm
d3matt

The spec may of changed slightly from my LR price list (March 2006) that I have in front of me, but on an HSE you get the following:

Auto box (£1,495)
19" wheels including full size spare (£1,100)
Sunroof & alpine roof (£1050)
rear air con (£700)
Cooler box (£230)
Premium sat nav (£520)
Bluetooth (£350)
Metallic paint (£520)
Adaptive Bi-Xenon lights (£995 or £695 if you don't want adaptive)
Stereo upgrade to 14 speakers & sub woofer (£750)

that's £7710 worth of extras for £6500 extra on the list price.

However, as HSE cars do not have any options (apart from privacy glass) so you can often pick up one much quicker and you can get better discounts on them. I managed to get a new one in just over a week - as soon as the dealer could get it shipped down from the Gaydon holding depot. I chose silver with black leather, which did make it easier to find one for me.

I got £3,800 discount off mine, but others on the forum have got much more. It certainly made sense going for an HSE and having all the toys, rather than waiting for a factory build SE with options.

The dealer then got film fitted in the rear instead of the privicy glass (many do anyway even if the customer doesn't know!) and I fitted the tow pack myself. It meant I had the car I wanted in just over a week, without that 3 month wait.
 Matt  
Post #9660924th Oct 2006 9:47 pm
d3matt

Looking at the LR website, which has the new specs on, the only difference between the 2007 spec and what I've listed above is:

SE now has premium ICE upgrade
SE does not have heated front & rear seats any more

SE also still does not have Bi-Xenon lights.
 Matt  
Post #9661024th Oct 2006 9:56 pm
DirtyDisco

I guess I need to seek clarification from my dealer. In a conversation two days ago he claimed that the cooler and Harmon Kardon were inclusive on the SE. He told me that xenons were included in SE spec when I met him a couple of days ago. Looks like a return visit is required. I have been offered £1300 discount plus an extra grand if I use LR finace plus another grand if I part ex another disco registered in my name. My other disco is a P reg Commercial kitted out for forestry work so is not to be disposed of, however I can find them for £250 locally. So net gain of £750 if I get nothing for PX. Should I be doing better?

Post #9661924th Oct 2006 10:09 pm
d3matt

Tim,
Order a white one. They look great, but it needs privacy glass. I see loads of them on the transporters going down to the docks on the south coast. Ignore what the dealer says about white. They were the same with me, when I expressed an interest. White is £520 cheaper too. I bet when you come to sell it, it will sell for less than £520 cheaper than the equivalent metallic car! There are so few white ones in the UK, that there must be some people willing to buy them when they come up for sale second hand. You could find that it might even sell at the same price as a metallic, resulting in £500 less depreciation.

White, artic frost or atacam sand are my colour choices next time around.
 Matt  
Post #9662224th Oct 2006 10:17 pm
d3matt

£1,300 doesn't sound like much of a discount. I would of thought that £2-3K was more like it. Dealers will normally match the internet broker prices, or at least get within a few hundred quid of them. Do a search on the forum (probably on "discount") to find the previous threads on this.

The £1000 LR finance deal probably isn't worth it. It certainly wasn't in my case, as the LR finance was considerable more expansive than other sources and much more than the £1000 discount. The dealer ended up offering me finance through their own group finance dept. (Hartwells) and it matched the best deal I could get else where. I've a good contact if you need some finance quotes from another firm who we finance my wife's new Mini with and they have been excellent for me and friends that have used them. I can pm this to you if you want to try them.
 Matt  
Post #9662324th Oct 2006 10:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >