Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Tips & Tricks

spare fuses in glove box
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
trm

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
spare fuses in glove box

I had to replace a 15 amp fuse, and spent 40 mins trying to extract the spare fuses from the storage slots in the glove box.

the device to remove them was to big, given the location of the spare fuses, and wiring looms running up and down in front of the fuses, and the hard plastic frame of the glove box.

I have never seen such a stupid design and location for the spare fuses.

I am now carrying them separate in the glove box loose.

Is there some trick I am missing in getting them out, or have other people had similar problems.

Post #12441827th Jan 2007 1:20 am
DrLex

Iceland 

Agreed. You need dainty hands and semi-surgical skills to access and handle these microfuses. It's also 'fun' that there a fuses in so many places - perhaps it's a car designer's game, based on their memories of playing 'Operation' and 'Hide'n'Seek'
Given that you need to replace the spares when used, I just leave a set of spares in the ashtray.
Last year, when the 10A washer fuse was prone to blowing on attempting to operate in cold weather, someone recommended tieing some thread around it so that it could be yanked out. LR's update was to replace it with a 15A and that seems to have elimated the problem (or at least its reporting here)
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #12444227th Jan 2007 9:01 am
lee01277

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

It was me who mentioned the thin string.

I also keep a very slender pair of long nose pliers in the glove box as well, just for fuse probs ...

Post #12448327th Jan 2007 5:45 pm
Terrierking

England 
washer fuse

DrLex wrote:
Agreed. You need dainty hands and semi-surgical skills to access and handle these microfuses. It's also 'fun' that there a fuses in so many places - perhaps it's a car designer's game, based on their memories of playing 'Operation' and 'Hide'n'Seek'
Given that you need to replace the spares when used, I just leave a set of spares in the ashtray.
Last year, when the 10A washer fuse was prone to blowing on attempting to operate in cold weather, someone recommended tieing some thread around it so that it could be yanked out. LR's update was to replace it with a 15A and that seems to have elimated the problem (or at least its reporting here)

I had to do this yesterday, what a real pain, will try the 15amp if it goes again.Thanks for the tip.
 'LARA'
TDV6 S in Bonitti Grey. 

Post #1288829th Feb 2007 11:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bonzo

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I had a similar experience recently when my 10A fuse for the washers blew in frosty weather. To begin with, I was sure I was going to wreck the glovebox by following the instructions in the manual, but a few words of encouragement from my dealers mechanic soon had me in. He did warn me that it was "not the most accessible fusebox in the world". I couldnt beleive it when I got in. Like the others who have posted here, I could barely get the blown fuse out, never mind relocate the 15A replacement the dealer suggested. I was terrified I was going to lose those silly tweezers while I grappled with them on the filling station forecourt. In the end, I couldnt even reach the 15A spare and fitted the 20A instead. Finally, with bleeding knuckles, I got the whole thing closed up again. I'm confident that I would be unable to get to most of the fuses on that panel. I'm a big fan of my Disco, but was disappointed to find that the position of this bit of key kit was so poorly worked out.

Post #13265223rd Feb 2007 8:49 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I am surprised that your dealers have not changed it during a routine service visit for the 15A one.

Post #13269423rd Feb 2007 9:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >