Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

TOW BAR ELECTRICS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
nick

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3
TOW BAR ELECTRICS

Picked up a new boxed detachable tow bar and electrics on ebay!!! Making a saving of around 150 squids Laughing Laughing
And i`m quite handy with a set of spanners, confident to fit the tow bar no probs, but should i wire the electrics? How? Has anyone done it themselves?

Post #211092nd Oct 2005 10:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Re: TOW BAR ELECTRICS

nick wrote:
Picked up a new boxed detachable tow bar and electrics on ebay!!! Making a saving of around 150 squids Laughing Laughing
And i`m quite handy with a set of spanners, confident to fit the tow bar no probs, but should i wire the electrics? How? Has anyone done it themselves?
think its just a plug - in job behind the rear lights Wink  
Post #211102nd Oct 2005 11:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I did the same Nick, easy enough job, getting the cables over the weight behind the bumper is the only tricky bit. A 10mm spanner and a screwdriver are the only tools you need as far as I remember

I'm still getting conflicting stories from dealers on whether the system needs to be told that the electrics are there or not, they work anyway but some dealers say that it needs doing so the suspension sets its self up correctly when towing, this strikes me as a little strange as what does it do if you're towing without using the electrics? Confused Anyway, mine's in the dealers on Wednesday so I've asked them to go ahead and do it if there's an option for it.

Si
 The End  
Post #211142nd Oct 2005 11:30 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Slimer wrote:
some dealers say that it needs doing so the suspension sets its self up correctly when towing

Ahh! So what our local dealer told me on Friday wasn't a total lie then? Confused Idea
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #211152nd Oct 2005 11:52 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

The suspension ECU and the PDC ECU both have "Trailer Socket" present inputs. The electrics will work, but the whole show not optimally.

Post #211173rd Oct 2005 7:13 am
BN

England 

Slimer wrote:
I did the same Nick, easy enough job, getting the cables over the weight behind the bumper is the only tricky bit. A 10mm spanner and a screwdriver are the only tools you need as far as I remember

I'm still getting conflicting stories from dealers on whether the system needs to be told that the electrics are there or not, they work anyway but some dealers say that it needs doing so the suspension sets its self up correctly when towing, this strikes me as a little strange as what does it do if you're towing without using the electrics? Confused Anyway, mine's in the dealers on Wednesday so I've asked them to go ahead and do it if there's an option for it.

Si

When the electric are fitted it stops the vehicle from rising when in Mud & Ruts. Obviously if you disconnect the electrics, the car does not know this and defaults.

You may recall this happened with my boat on the slipway when I first got it. I was pulling it up the slipway in low ratio and just selected mud and ruts being the easiest at the time and it nearly took the prop off the boat. My trailer has electric built in and is waterproof, so the dealer had not setup the electrics when they installed the heavy duty tow kit even thought the wires were connected in that case.

Post #211233rd Oct 2005 8:06 am
Pelyma

England 

Mine wasn't set up properly either Sad Only sorted at the first service, but I'm not likley to take my caravan where you need M&R!
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #211313rd Oct 2005 8:48 am
BN

England 

Pelyma wrote:
Mine wasn't set up properly either Sad Only sorted at the first service, but I'm not likley to take my caravan where you need M&R!

Pelyma, you never know Very Happy Crying or Very sad

Post #211333rd Oct 2005 8:50 am
jeff

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Rimini RedDiscovery 3

nick wrote:
but should i wire the electrics?

Its probably do-able but I can hear the service manager -
"And Sir has altered the wiring on the vehicle causing all sorts of problems."

Just a thought Nick.
 D3 TDV6SE
Defender 110 V8 lpg

www.carlyonbay.net
www.thepavillioncarlyonbay.co.uk 

Post #211483rd Oct 2005 9:53 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

jeff wrote:
nick wrote:
but should i wire the electrics?

Its probably do-able but I can hear the service manager -
"And Sir has altered the wiring on the vehicle causing all sorts of problems."

Just a thought Nick.
well they sell the kit as an accessory (as they do with the winch) so it should be OK as an owner fit...  
Post #211493rd Oct 2005 9:59 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Nick, book your D3 into your dealer to get them 'activated' and fit them the day before. There's no point in paying them to fit them when it's such a simple job to do yourself. Not sure if they will try and charge for the activation, my dealer hasn't mentioned it but as far as I'm concerned if LR sell accessories that are available for you to fit yourself they can not justify charging you to tell the system they're there as you can't do that bit yourself.
 The End  
Post #211523rd Oct 2005 10:13 am
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

You can get the tow bar fitment instruction sheets from the LR owner info website (follow links from the main LR site 'owner' section).

It looks like you have to connect the wiring to connectors in the rear nearside light cluster and fiddle to get the wiring routing right.
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #211643rd Oct 2005 12:46 pm
ACHMELVICH

Take it to your local indespesion dealer fitted my one for forty five quid and that included a rear numberplate. Local dealer wanted two hundred and fifty quid Very Happy
 TDV6 AUTO S JULY 2005  
Post #213854th Oct 2005 12:50 am
timbo

United States 

BN wrote:
When the electric are fitted it stops the vehicle from rising when in Mud & Ruts. Obviously if you disconnect the electrics, the car does not know this and defaults.

Interesting - I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before but if I recall correctly the US version requires us to manually select the height. I know for certain that none of the terrain response modes will select low range automatically. Is that the case on the non-US spec vehicles?

Since I fitted the US tow electrics myself I'm wondering if there is anything in the US spec cars that needs to be told about the tow electrics?

Regards, Tim

Post #213874th Oct 2005 2:06 am
BN

England 

timbo wrote:
BN wrote:

Interesting - I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before but if I recall correctly the US version requires us to manually select the height. I know for certain that none of the terrain response modes will select low range automatically. Is that the case on the non-US spec vehicles?

Since I fitted the US tow electrics myself I'm wondering if there is anything in the US spec cars that needs to be told about the tow electrics?

Regards, Tim

Take a look in the instruction book and I cannot recall the page, but I did post on this months ago. I cannot see a difference for this between any country, I think it works the same as if the door was open.

Post #213944th Oct 2005 7:33 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >