Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Discovery 5 - L462

Tow Hitch/Receiver on the new Discovery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
fisherman

Wales 

Yeah I have to agree that it is confusing. The lecky model has to be so much easier than the removeable jobbie but the cost seems crazy. It's shown at £985 but the the lecky bit is another £100+. When you specify it, it comes out over £2k????
It isn't clear why the cost is so high as other vehicles sporting lecky tow bars are half the price.
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #17165267th Oct 2016 8:32 am
MGDisco

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

It would help to understand the pricing of it better if the price didn't do the jump from £985 - if selected on the option pack, this would be for a factory build/installed cost and that seems comparable to the other marques charges as well. i don't see why there is then a further requirement, unless it is only for adding the panel - surely on the option pack, it should the complete works for that price, without having to add anything else?

Then, the cost under the accessories tab/selection could be understood as it being fitted as aftermarket - but in excess of £2k is just way,way too much IMO. And still needs the electric socket price as well - at least that is what is suggested in the blurb. So if not fitted at the factory, cost could be around the £2.5k to have a push button towbar fitted....

I know the current D3/D4 detachable has it's issues, but is a far more reasonable than this, and you can have alternative supplied towbars at a fraction of the cost of even that. Even the detachable version is £700 for the bar, under the options tab - does this come with the electrics fitted as part of that price - if so, less than the D4 price, can't see that being right (or is this the 'bargain' when comparing D4 to D5?).

The multi height towbar can only be found under accessories, so this is for dealer fit only - note that it needs the rear valance to be cut (as per RRS2 towbar fitting). And its listed at £937.....

Might be best to wait for aftermarket units to be released. If you can wait that long.

Post #17165377th Oct 2016 8:57 am
eelpout

United States 2010 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyLR4

Quote:
The multi height towbar can only be found under accessories, so this is for dealer fit only - note that it needs the rear valance to be cut (as per RRS2 towbar fitting).

Cut it or order a different undershield with a tow bar cutout, which is listed in the brochure? (and which tow hitch is this formed to??)

I'm hoping there is a slot for a 2" quick-release receiver like there is now, done. All I want it for is bike & ski racks. I've told my dealer here in the US I'm not comfortable putting in an order until this is all sorted out. Rolling Eyes

Post #17167537th Oct 2016 6:00 pm
PaulC

Wales 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

eelpout wrote:
Ah found it. I think they must have updated things in the last couple days.

The electrical swing down version costs $650 and shows up as part of Build Your vehicle (this is on the US site).

And I found in the U.S. brochure pictures and numbers of the plug in receiver. Page 117:

What I'm not sure about is if one has to order the correct "undershield" to have room for the hitch. Sadly, my local dealer is as much in the dark as we are.

I love the way the electric tow bar is $650 in the USA and almost £1000 in the UK - equivalent to £532 even after the massive slump in exchange rates!

Post #171910212th Oct 2016 10:21 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Looking at the costs in the builder, they seem to be very confusing for the tow bar. As others have said
there are different prices

Under optional features it is £985

Under Accessories it is £2193

Just how do they do that?
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #171911512th Oct 2016 11:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Stingray

Wales 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Here's another interesting one.
Winged seat headrests are listed as a zero cost option (this is on the HSE), but if you specify them, there is a requirement to also add rear seat entertainment at £2,175! If you click 'add' although the figure alongside the option remains at £0, the total price of the vehicle at the top of the screen increases by£2,175.
Explain that one!

Post #171957613th Oct 2016 9:03 pm
eelpout

Anyone placed an order yet with a tow bar option? I'm about to put in an order here in the US and the tow bars still aren't very clear over here. I'm just hoping it's as easy as having a drop-in without having to cut anything like there is now.

Post #174990616th Dec 2016 5:48 pm
petersw

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

If you order the infrared reflective windscreen then add the technology plus pack they want to charge you twice for windscreen!

Informed sales when ordering & saved myself £300+.

Quite a few "anomalies" in the build widget thingy so double check & check again would be my advise.

Edit
Should say adaptive headlights, not windscreen.
 Peter  
Post #174999416th Dec 2016 8:33 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

It appears that if you order the electrically deployable towbar as a factory fit, its £985, but if its added at a later date as an accessory, its £2193 which includes fitting. I think the towbar is a separate piece of kit as opposed to the 'receiver' built into the rear crossmember of the D3/4.

Post #175020817th Dec 2016 12:47 pm
eelpout

The $650 tow bar over here isn't the electrically deployable bar: it's a tow hitch, electrical connector and bumper cut-out. And as far as I can tell, the only option I appear to have. Neither the electrically deployable or detachable option show up in the U.S. Had my dealer double check and he can't source either part code.

I'd rather have the detachable, as it wouldn't have the bumper cut-out.

Click image to enlarge

VPLRT0171

Could be LRUSA is just avoiding the detachable thing altogether due to issues with the old quick release (which is something I wasn't aware of until now Whistle).

Post #175037717th Dec 2016 8:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >