Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Towbar newbie
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
pjgraham86

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4
Towbar newbie

Our new D4 XS is due for delivery late September.

The dealer will be fitting a tow pack for us as part of the deal but we haven't discussed the details. The towbar will be needed for occasional towing of a horsebox (SWMBO is selling her horse van when D4 arrives) and for a 4 bike rack of some sort (probably Altera judging by other posts elsewhere on this forum) - obviously not both at once !

I knwo nothing about tow bars having never had occasion to use one. The detachable version appeals to me because it's stowed away when not in use so just from an aesthetics perspective, I'd prefer that. I don't know if that would suit our purposes though - should we for example be looking at a multi height towbar ?

I also need to be educated about the required electrics - the LR options list has 7 and 13 pin versions, one presumably being an EU fitment ?

You'll have worked out reading this far that I am clueless - can anybody give me some advice ?

Thanks

P

Post #82441110th Aug 2011 9:27 am
Ted Newman

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

First of all if you are buying brand new then the factory supply and fit the kit NOT the dealer.

Secondly if you are only using it for a horse box and not a caravan (or horse box with internal living fixtures) then you only need the seven pin as this supplies all the road lighting for the trailer - the 13 pin supplies additional equipment for caravans etc.

We use the detachable tow bar because as you say it maintains the clean back end of the car when not in use - our caravan weighs in at 1700 KG but I know many people that tow 2500 KG quite happily with the removable bar.
 LR Discovery 4 XS pulling an Airstream 532 Caravan also own (since new) a 1996 MGF  
Post #82442610th Aug 2011 10:03 am
Andrew Hebron

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I tow a car / car trailer (~2000 kg) quite happily on the detachable. I also use it with the Altera. Top Tip: don't leave it attached when not in use or you may have trouble getting it out again.
 Andrew  
Post #82446610th Aug 2011 11:37 am
Goofy

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

My advice (for what its worth) is to go for the 2 x 7 pin electrics.

That way, if you are towing a trailer or horsebox etc you can use the standard 7 pin black plug for the trailer electrics (lights, brakes etc) and if you every decide to get a caravan you can always use the adapter leads for the caravan to change from 13 pin to 2 x 7 and live happily ever after. !!

And anyways, any caravan dealer worth his salt will throw these less than £30 leads into the deal as part of a bargain sweetener if he has any sense. Thumbs Up
 Disco 3 TDV6 SE, black, de-badged, blacked out windows, cream leather interior, never seen a dirt track in its life.  
Post #82454010th Aug 2011 3:55 pm
pjgraham86

Thanks for all the advice guys - much appreciated.

p

Post #82479411th Aug 2011 9:31 am
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

My tuppence worth.
If you are planning to tow a caravan in the future the standard for new vans has moved to 13 pin connectors. You can convert a 13 pin socket on the tow vehicle to 7 pin trailer electrics very neatly with a stubby connector for a tenner - this dispenses with the need for converter cables dangling everywhere.
Jimbo

Post #82517212th Aug 2011 1:28 pm
chillisauce

Switzerland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I went for twin electrics which will to give more options.

On the tow bar, I fitted the adjustable specifically for towing a horse box (Ifor Williams 510 I think - twin axel). Detachable is pretty low and the feel of the box can change empty v's full (two horses +/- a tonne very easily) Empty especially, it bounces on the low hook and I didn't like the feeling.

The higher adjustable feels nice, much more secure, and a lot less flighty. My opinion anyway.
 D3 Zermatt Silver TDV6 HSE (have)
Triumph Tiger 800XC (just have)
Defender 110 (did have)
SIII Ex-MoD 109 (did have)
Orange P7 + Specalized Roubaix (still have) 

Post #82519612th Aug 2011 2:35 pm
Alex08

Scotland 

I have the removable with 2x7pin electrics for the same reason as you. Happy to let you see it all fitted up if you wish. Tows fine and when the box is released the car always rises to the level so there seems enough downforce on the ball. Horse hasn't complained yet. PM me if you want to see it all fitted.

Post #82522012th Aug 2011 4:52 pm
pjgraham86

thanks again to everyone for their input.

Alex - I may well get in touch as I need to get this right before we get to the fitting stage.

P

Post #82533812th Aug 2011 9:36 pm
gseum

Germany 2010 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR4

Hi,

doing caravaning for long years I am pretty glad, that the better and water resistant 13-pin connectors exist! No more connection problems with it as it was usual with the 7-pin version, really "plug and play"!

Surely I have a 13 to 7-pin adaptor in the car. Wink

Greetings
gseum
 Discovery 4/LR4 HSE 5.0 V8 MY2010 // Volvo XC60 II T8 Inscription Fusion Red MY2020 // Hyundai Kona Electric Trend MY2020 // Bürstner TravelVan 620G MY2020  
Post #82600315th Aug 2011 7:55 pm
billbrownlie

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I ordered my D4 XS at the beginning of May. It included the tow pack. Salesman told me that the 13 pin is now the only version of the electrics available. This wasn't a problem for me as the caravan is 13 pin and I wouldn't consider the older version with conversion cables, too many connections to go wrong. As previously posted you can get a plug in to convert back to just lights, or buy the lighting pack with the 13 pin fitted. Picked it up in mid June and it took us all over Europe (2,500 kms) without a hitch(sic). Mr. Green
 So I can't spell armagegon, its not the end of the world!  
Post #82627216th Aug 2011 4:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >