D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Discovery 4:
GVW 3240
Kerbweight (includes a driver and some fuel) 2583
Payload 3240 - 2583 = 657kg
Maximum nose weight of UK caravan chassis (Al-Ko) is 100kg
Leaves 557kg.
Probably enough for a couple of very obese passengers and bits and bobs of caravan gear Thumbs Up
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #196675523rd Jul 2018 10:46 pm
James1974

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

GEOBLRDISCO4 wrote:
Thanks James, that’s a bit of a concern given I’ve done about 1000 miles with my van this year and about to do another 1000 or so starting Thursday, I specifically told LR I was buying the car for caravan towing, they never mentioned anything, the salesman said he would do me a ½ price deal on runners and towbar. I was pleased with the prices and we made the deal.

YouTube it and your see the nightmare that happens when they work loose as you have the electrics you can get a new fixed one on eBay for about £170 and there just bolt on mate so diy no drilling or cutting nothing
 Disco 3 gone but not forGotten
Welcome disco 4
Flappy paddles working from gap
Heated steering wheel done
Bluetooth iPod connection done
Xeon lights (facelift) done
Afs retrofit done
Logic 7 retrofit done
Armrest fridge
Facelift rear lights
Retrofit High beam assist done
Genuine 22” Range Rover sport alloys
Retrofit acc (gave up not possible)
retrofit tpms done
Retrofit Range Rover lcd digital dash. Done
Retrofit blind spot assist done 

Post #196676624th Jul 2018 5:40 am
D4mation

I towed our tintent all over Europe for 5 years without the detachable falling out.
However, eventually it started rattling so I took it in to the supplying dealership for a check and they replaced it FOC with a fixed towbar.
A useful check - immediately after towing and unhitching try and move the hook side to side; there should be next to no movement.
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #196688924th Jul 2018 11:06 am
GEOBLRDISCO4

United Kingdom 

Been onto LR today £800 to changed to a fixed, also checked Scotlands biggest towbar supplier, he has told me not to waste my money, they have DISCO 4 pulling 3T bowsers for agriculture fuel supply, 7 figure mileage no issues. Not sure what to do

Post #196690024th Jul 2018 11:25 am
GEOBLRDISCO4

United Kingdom 

Thanks James/ all, Im off to france on Sunday night from scotland, going to york on Thursday, not got time for ebay, York LR quoted me 800, I'm annoyed with dealer bought the car for 44k and told them it was for a twin axle caravan. They fitted the detachable, i did say that was my preference just for aesthetics, they didnt advise otherwise

Post #196690424th Jul 2018 11:30 am
D4mation

Any damage to the detachable is caused by "fretting" where two metal surfaces are rubbing together. This can be minimised by greasing the mating surfaces, and by removing the hook when not in use. (This also stops scrotes from being tempted to nick it).
This "fretting" takes place over a very long period of time.
Personally I wouldn't worry about it in the short term - just get on with enjoying your holiday 8) Thumbs Up
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #196694824th Jul 2018 1:04 pm
ty-george

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Take it to a dealer for a free check up if your worried. I bought a 2015 without a tow bar so the socket was new and then a new detachable. I happily tow my 3.5t trailer anywhere because thats what its designed to do.

I do remove it after each use. I do check it before each use. I do wiggle to check for play when fitting it. And i do slam it home pretty hard.

Fixed ones still use the same socket so can still come out but the other supporting bars make the consequences less catastrophic.
 Good bye untrusted p38
Hello 15my Disco 4
Not forgotten you disco2! 

Post #196700424th Jul 2018 2:50 pm
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

The detachable is fine - there are many stories to scare people and many people missusing them

The occasional use is not about how long you can drive with it in or anything like that lol, its about actually removing the thing when not in use and caring for the surface, not letting it rust in there etc!

the reason i moved to fixed is one of trailer height and nose weight as the fixed (genuine) goes to 250kg where as the removable is only 150kg
 Mike  
Post #196701424th Jul 2018 3:18 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The earlier removable tow brackets don't have a ratchet behind the green handle. These can come loose in use.

To test which you have, fit the bracket, lock it with the key. Then try to rotate the handle without pulling the handle out first, the ratchet should stop this.

On the later brackets, you have to pull the handle out to overcome the ratchet before turning to release the tow bracket.

Post #196701824th Jul 2018 3:28 pm
GEOBLRDISCO4

United Kingdom 

Thanks very much everybody for the input, my one is the newer ratchet type. LR should get their story straight - one dealer fitting it, another dealer telling me i shouldn't be using it. Anyway, on balance and with what i've heard/read with your comments, I've decided to go with what i have based on it being 2016., newly fitted in january, I'll keep it clean and get some grease tomorrow. Keep it in the car when not in use (i was doing that anyway). Might look into the safety plate idea when i get back, I'll keep checking it as suggested and feel a bit more relaxed now.

Thanks again to everybody for taking the time to pass on advice

George

Post #196703324th Jul 2018 3:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >