Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

TPMS on Spare
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
al cope

England 
TPMS on Spare

Looks like I might have a TPMS issue on the spare - warning came up at the weekend saying spare presure was low. As it was snowing, ignored until today. The spare is brand new, as was shipped from LR at new, but pressure was down to 29Psi - which I wouldnt have thought would have been low enough to trigger a warning (luckily i had it possioned so that I could get to the valve through the holes in the plastic protector near the bumper side).

When I had a puncture on one of the road wheels it was down at about 20 before the TPMS picked it up.

Anyway - quick squirt of air, spare up to 40Psi, but low pressure error still showing. I have driven a few miles as wondered if it was the same as when changing wheels, needs a few miles to pick up the change.

Wonder if the the valve in the wheel or the sensor under the back thats playing up.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #189032014th Dec 2017 7:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jonno1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

My friend's car did this the other day. Mine has done it when it is very cold. Few psi and a drive around seems to do trick.

Post #189032914th Dec 2017 7:28 pm
hgrimmett

2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Had it all the time in the D3, I just had to keep topping up the spare. I got a valve extension off a well known auction site so that I could do it from underneath without dropping the wheel.
 -------------------------------------------------------------------
D4 '15 (64) Se Tech Indus Silver
Tesla Model Y LR (22)
Audi TT Roadster 225 (52)
Tesla Model 3 LR (70) (gone)
Porsche Boxster '96 2.5 5spd project (P)
Mini R52 S (54)
BMW 330e eDrive MSport '16 (gone)
D3 '07 (56) XS TDV6 Buckingham Blue (gone) 

Post #189042614th Dec 2017 11:34 pm
al cope

England 

I am wondering if its the cold, as it only started after the first lot of snow. I know its not the actual presure as I have topped in up (and on the D4 with adblue its easier as the wheel faces down so you can get to the valve through the slots in the protector). I have driven around a bit and error is still there - lets see if it changes when warmer weather arrives

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker

Post #189047415th Dec 2017 8:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
philm

England 

Mine did same last week, topped it up warning still on, I put a couple more psi in it and it cleared.
 L633 Defender
Range Rover Velar-gone
Discovery 4 Landmark-gone
Gap IID Tool 

Post #189047715th Dec 2017 9:08 am
philm

England 

From owners manual

FULL SIZE SPARE WHEEL AND TYRE CHANGE

The system automatically recognises any changes in wheel positions. The vehicle must be stationary for 15 minutes during the wheel and tyre change, to make sure that the system can detect the change. After driving above 25 km/h (16 mph), any deflation warning should clear within approximately 5 minutes.

NOTES
Re-inflate the tyre, within close proximity of the vehicle, following repairs to a full size spare wheel fitted with tyre pressure monitoring. The Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) warning lamp may illuminate if tyre inflation is not carried out within close proximity of the vehicle. Should this occur, re-inflate the tyre within 5 m of the vehicle.
 L633 Defender
Range Rover Velar-gone
Discovery 4 Landmark-gone
Gap IID Tool 

Post #189047915th Dec 2017 9:14 am
al cope

England 

topped mine up whilst still attached to the car, so defo within 5mtrs Bow down

40Psi should be more than enough.

And have driven above 16mph for more than 5 mins.

Will see if warning still on later
Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #189050715th Dec 2017 10:47 am
Alex08

Scotland 

Spare needs higher PSI to satisfy the TPMS - 40 is the minimum. As said keep it in the mid 40s and there is no problem. Pressure can be reduced to replace any of the wheels if there is a puncture, but usually difficult to inflate at the time if you are replacing a rear wheel under load and the spare has the standard load front pressure. The thinking makes sense.

Post #189051815th Dec 2017 11:31 am
al cope

England 

Alex, it make sense so will take it to 45 and see then. A question though. When I had a genuine puncture in the summer (my summer tyres) I changed the wheel and put the (almost) flat under the rear - it didnt throw any error message about low spare pressure then.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark

Post #189054715th Dec 2017 1:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >