Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Trackers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
lawman

Gurvan wrote:
My problems seems to come after one week or so... That is why I am asking if someone knows for sure if there is a problem with that system...

I might have to remove it or install a second battery and have the tracker draws from that... Sad

Gurvan, as ps to my last message, logically if I can start my car after 2 weeks of leaving it in the winter, I guess that there cannot be a problem 'for sure' with that system. Hope this helps.

By the way, to anyone else thinking about which system to install, having asked around, every expert told me that a GPS tracker is worthless. Hide the car from the sky........

Post #4206612th Feb 2006 3:01 pm
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

lawman wrote:
Gurvan, as ps to my last message, logically if I can start my car after 2 weeks of leaving it in the winter, I guess that there cannot be a problem 'for sure' with that system. Hope this helps.

Pardon my French ! Or should I say being French... Wink I missed the 2 weeks thing... Surprised

Anyway, I once depleted totally the battery and have had problems with it ever since...

That is why I am suspecting the tracker...

After a week of having my car stranded at the dealership, I am getting a bit nervous as far as having an answer to the WHY of that problems comes from... Wink

Post #4206712th Feb 2006 3:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lawman

Gurvan wrote:
lawman wrote:

Pardon my French ! Or should I say being French... Wink I missed the 2 weeks thing... Surprised

Anyway, I once depleted totally the battery and have had problems with it ever since...

That is why I am suspecting the tracker...

After a week of having my car stranded at the dealership, I am getting a bit nervous as far as having an answer to the WHY of that problems comes from... Wink

If you have had battery problems since fully flattening it, that may be your problem. Also, I have no idea whether the D3 battery is maintenance free or whether it requires a top up. Might be worth checking. After all, how likely is is that LR quality control would have checked it was properly filled at the factory. Your equivalent of our AA or RAC can check your battery's ability to charge itself. Might be worth starting there before you rip out the tracker or get an additional one Wink

Post #4206812th Feb 2006 3:12 pm
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Quite true on every thing you said...

But I have to get my car back first... Wink

Post #4206912th Feb 2006 3:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ally

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I had the same problem on my Focus RS, problem was checked by ford and RAC and both said it was the tracker causing it. My car lasted two days(without use) before it wouldn't start. I'm not sure if the tracker was solely to blame but was told that as the RS had two seperate alarms factory fitted the additional tracker would push the battery drain over the edge. I was also a member of the Focus RS forum and this problem was very common with no solution other than uprating battery or using battery monitor.

Maybe all fords don't work well with tracking sytems Very Happy Very Happy

Post #4207112th Feb 2006 3:19 pm
paul

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I don't think tracker is worth it unless your insurance make you get one. It is very good and the Police always look for the car if they pick up an activation, generally getting the chopper to lift aswell. The downside is:

1) You get 10% discount of say £400 is £40 a year but costs £300 to install and £120 a year unless you have lifetime.
2) If the car is recovered chances are it will have some damage so will need an insurance claim anyway,
3) Do you really want it back?

Tracker is great for insurance companies but is it so good for us who have to pay for it and then have to claim anyway for the damage to be repaired!

Post #4207412th Feb 2006 3:57 pm
Kieron

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Its interesting hearing the views on a tracker device and there are pro's and con's as always and perhaps you are paying more for a peace of mind as much as anything else. I am thinking about the NavTrack system that was recommended by the dealer as being the most D3 compatible. I guess how good they are depends on how quickly you get the car back because as already mentioned these days the bad guys are taking the keys rather than 'breaking' into the car. A good friend of mine living in Manchester had a gang of 7 hooded people with bats trying to smash in his front door at 8:30 last Friday evening demanding the keys to their cars. Its very frightening stuff and maybe knowing you have a tracker might make you hand over the keys without a 2nd thought to try and do something to defend / protect the car that might end in things getting nasty. I think if you are going to get a tracker it has to be the driver recognition version that recognises the car is being moved with the keys but without the drivers ‘smart card’ so that recovery can be activated ASAP, the NavTrack option with lifetime (of car) subscription is £1500
 I don't dance but I do Disco  
Post #4207712th Feb 2006 4:30 pm
paul

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I think the problem with the Sat Nav type devices is that by the time the Police get passed the position of the car via the control room to the officers on the street the car has moved. I know the trackstar updates every 20 seconds and as you can imagine a car can move some distance in that time.
The Police at least have the ability to find Trackers from in car sets.
Normally a switched on criminal parks the stolen car somewhere close to the original place of theft. They come back 5 days later and if it's still there then they know there is no tracker. If it's gone they steal another.
Tracker do recover most cars and having fixed sites aswell as every Police helicopter and many cars with it fitted there is a real good chance you will get it back as per the Sat Nav systems.
The question remains, do you want it back?

Post #4214512th Feb 2006 11:56 pm
Kieron

One big problem I can see with the Tracker (from all the documentation I have seen) device is that its only powered through the car's battery where as the NavTrack has its own battery backup. I like the fact that the Tracker uses FM as well as GPS/GSM but it not that great the car is quickly moved onto a tailer etc and the battery disconnected.
As far as getting the car back? Well if its a quick recovery and its not been heavily damaged then I would want it back. I think if its not recoverd quickly then it won't be recovered at all, or if it is it wont be down to the Tracker device as I think the Pro's will have already dealt with it.
Post #4216213th Feb 2006 9:05 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Apparently, some of the scroats are now carrying GSM jammers...... Twisted Evil

Post #4217113th Feb 2006 10:03 am
ally

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

An interesting device I had fitted to my RS focus was clifford black jax. Basically some scum demands your keys either from your house or by car jacking you. You simply let them take the car because it will let them drive away but 1 minute later it will start flashing braking lights and when engine rpm drops to a safe level it cuts the engine and sounds the alarm. You have to enter a 4 digit pin number every time you start the car but I felt it could be more effective than a tracker, But both coupled together would be ideal as this is what I had.

Post #4218013th Feb 2006 11:27 am
Kieron

Sounds like an interesting device, I will check it out. The only problem or concern is how much do you want to modify what seems to be an already complex car? The dealer seemed to indicate that any additional device can 'upset' the balance of electrics in the car and the only one that was really recommended was the NavTrack (or maybe just the one with the biggest comission??) Plus its only the Tracker type devices that seems to reduce the insurance, as you say the ideal would be a combination of both but how far do you go to protect a car? If someone wants it and has targeted your car they will probably get it Sad
Post #4218613th Feb 2006 11:52 am
DrLex

Iceland 

The 'anti-theft' device on my old sports car was a toggle switch under the radio mount for the fuel pump electrical feed. Unswitched, the starter would still turn and catch; the fuel in the carbs letting it run for a short while before stalling.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #4221913th Feb 2006 2:34 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Anti theft on my old 2a is Transfer lever to neutral, then pull the pivot bolt out from under the car. This method is OK if its getting left for a while.

Main deterrant is 4 inches of thick smelly mud that I permanently keep in the cab Wink

Post #4222313th Feb 2006 2:38 pm
Limpopo

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3

Down here in darkest Africa we know a thing or two about hi-jacking - we've probably got the highest rates in the world. Crying or Very sad

We have all the usual packages, but it is interesting to note that Land Rover here have selected one company - known as Netstar - to supply all their ant-theft / anti-hijacking systems on D3 and that they are installed by Land Rover themselves, from new. Smile

Obviously, the cost of this tracking equipment and installation are part of our rather high purchase prices. Sad We just pay the R167 (15.75 pounds) monthy fee.

However, I am sure that this has been done to avoid further complications in an already complicated car. I shudder to think of installers hacking into wiring harnesses to install their product. Loose connections caused by these installations are a known hazard. Mad

These systems also require back-up batteries that have to be renewed every two years.

A Land Rover-installed system should remove doubt over current draw and compatibilty with the car battery.

Fearing the above 'hacking factor', I installed a far simpler device on my D2 - a loose tracking unit. 8) Downside is that the vehicle can't report itself stolen, as the others do, and I haven't a clue where they've put it. Exclamation
 Must look at it from the bright side...  
Post #4276116th Feb 2006 8:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >