Trackers

Anyone have one?
Any recommendations?

TIA
Simon

Post #143913th Mar 2005 8:00 pm
MC1903

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

My dealer will not fit Tracker (www.tracker.com) to a D3 as the power draw is too high and it will flatten the battery if the car is left parked for more than a week. Apparently Tracker are aware and may be planning a modification.

Instead they are pushing NavTrak (www.navtrak.com). Apparently the power draw is less and you can leave it for much longer.

As for RAC Trackstar (www.ractrackstar.com), which seems the other viable alternative, I have heard nothing good or bad as yet.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has had any other advice from their LR dealer / security fitter regarding Trackers.

L8rs MC

Post #146114th Mar 2005 8:38 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I have a Tracker Horizon fitted. It was fitted at the dealer by Tracker UK. So far I have had no problems with it. The system obviously works, because when it broke down at new year, and was taken away on a low loader, Tracker rang me within 2 minutes of the driver leaving my house, saying that my car was moving, and was I aware of its whereabouts! Very impressive what!!

I have had no flat batteries, or even threat of a flat battery, even after 5 days of no driving over christmas.

Post #146714th Mar 2005 11:44 pm
FamilyMan

Can you pinch a D3 without the key? I thought it had a proper alarm and disabler so that without the key the ignition wouldn't start it.
 2005 TDV6 SE Silver/Black Manual + Alpine  
Post #147715th Mar 2005 9:46 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

You can pinch anything without a key if you lift it onto a low loader!

Seriously though, whilst D3 has all the gizmo's and anti theft gadgets that will make it very difficult to drive away without the keys, the most common way to steal a modern expensive car is to break into the house and nick the keys, or hijack or mug the owner.

The Tracker is not theft prevention, it is a recovery device in the event of theft.

My insurance insisted on Tracker. I guard my keys very carefully, I have a key safe at home, and my keys are either in my pocket or in the safe.

I can see why Simon wants his drive away locking function to work in such a desirable vehicle.

Post #147815th Mar 2005 9:57 am
FamilyMan

Autolocking is very handy. As long as your keys are safe it's down to being car-jacked. The worry there is having to show the thief how to release the handbrake and adjust the suspension so he can make his gettaway. If you are car-jacked, just run...it'll probably still be there by the time the police arrive Wink .
 2005 TDV6 SE Silver/Black Manual + Alpine  
Post #148415th Mar 2005 10:35 am
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Is there anything new regarding Tracket and the power drain on batteries ?

As mine seems to be quite weak, I'm wondering if a tracket would be a safe investments... Surprised

Post #4204512th Feb 2006 12:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

we have a tracker fitted the the wifes bmw not sure on cost as it was on the car when we purchased it, but i know it costs me £120 a year to monitor it. i am thinking of getting one on the d3 but not looked into it properly yet so i am whatching this thread also.

cheers shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #4204712th Feb 2006 12:56 pm
Gurvan

I would really like to know the power draw from the battery of that gizmo... Surprised

Post #4204812th Feb 2006 1:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
catoperator

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Alveston RedDiscovery 3
trackers

trackers are a good product if your car is stolen by "joyriders" but a professional car theif will probably have a tracker blocker mecklock is used on plant alot and is a very good product they are now joining up with a tracker aswell www.mecklocksystem.co.uk i have fitted some of these to td5 defenders

Post #4204912th Feb 2006 1:16 pm
ally

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I had RAC Trackstar fitted to my focus RS. Incidently the battery kept going flat so often I eventually had to buy a battery monitor and keep in plugged in when I wasn't using it. The sales guy told me that RAC vans can track and locate your car so if they come across it on their rounds they can contact the police, unlike other systems that depend upon the police not being busy with speed traps etc. However this may be just sales talk.

The reason I had one fitted to the RS was because it was a rare car and if it went missing I couldn't go off to the dealer again with a fat insurance check and get a new one. I'm not sure I'd want any mass produced car back if it had been stolen, didn't even really want the RS back if some scum had stolen it. just would have been nice t have the option.

One point that did get made to me was from the engineer fitting it. I asked him if he'd have to strip the interior to hide it and he replied no because most pro car thieves now assume that a tracker is in place and rip it out asap. Again he might just be being lazy but worth bearing in mind.

Post #4205412th Feb 2006 1:28 pm
lawman

MC1903 wrote:
My dealer will not fit Tracker (www.tracker.com) to a D3 as the power draw is too high and it will flatten the battery if the car is left parked for more than a week. Apparently Tracker are aware and may be planning a modification.

Instead they are pushing NavTrak (www.navtrak.com). Apparently the power draw is less and you can leave it for much longer.

As for RAC Trackstar (www.ractrackstar.com), which seems the other viable alternative, I have heard nothing good or bad as yet.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has had any other advice from their LR dealer / security fitter regarding Trackers.

L8rs MC

I have Tracker and have left the car for over 2 weeks without driving it. No problems with the battery draw.

Post #4205812th Feb 2006 2:30 pm
Gurvan

My problems seems to come after one week or so... That is why I am asking if someone knows for sure if there is a problem with that system...

I might have to remove it or install a second battery and have the tracker draws from that... Sad

Post #4205912th Feb 2006 2:38 pm
lawman

Gurvan wrote:
My problems seems to come after one week or so... That is why I am asking if someone knows for sure if there is a problem with that system...

I might have to remove it or install a second battery and have the tracker draws from that... Sad

They have been around for years and I have one fitted to a 911 as well. Never had a problem with that either and I recently had the back up battery tested on that car. Good as new. Think they know what they are doing. Maybe you have an alternator problem?

Post #4206212th Feb 2006 2:51 pm
Gurvan

Guy from the dearlership says it is only the battery...

That is why, that, and the information in one of the former posts, makes me think that this might be the problem...

The battery on the DIII seems to be from of a new kind. Someone on that forum said a Lead/cadmium battery. Now, from what I looked into on the web, it seems that Cadmium helps a battery have less internal resistance when in use... If that very tentative hypothesis is confirmed, it might help explain why my battery is dead after only 7 months with a tracker fitted...

This is why I am looking into getting all the information that I can get on that subject... Wink

Post #4206512th Feb 2006 2:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >