DISCO4.COM > General

Trade off or hang on?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
CMG

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3
Trade off or hang on?

Hi everyone...I'd like some advice please. Cliff notes at the bottom. Thumbs Up
I've had my 07 D3 since 2010 and have 160k miles on it now. It's been one of my favorite vehicles of all time and my family has made many memories with it, with cross country trips and moves. We've been kicking around the idea of trading it in for a D4 or FFRR. The past few months it's had issues (control arms, axle seal leak, cracked thermostat housing, now a new oil leak and will need new tires) and I'm just wondering if it's time to move on.

My biggest concern is the transmission - no issues or faults now, it drives like the day I got it, but I'm embarrassed to say I've never changed the trans fluid. Whistle With 160k miles on the clock, am I likely going to have issues soon? I think the trans cooler lines might be weepy. Other things I have in the back of my head is the water pump and radiator, both are original. Steering rack is slightly weepy, but doesn't drip and I only need to top it off once a year. Doesn't leak anything else besides the new oil leak. Other things recently done is the front air suspension, front lower control arms, it's had tie rods done a few times, fuel tank sending units, MAF sensor

The D4s and FFRRs (ruled out an RRS as we need separate rear AC controls) I'm considering are in the 2011-2013 range with 50-65k miles. If they follow the pattern of my D3, they should be pretty trouble free that young but I know there is a definite chance of ending up with something as nickle-dimey as the D3 is and plus I'd have a payment every month, unlike the D3. On a D4 I'd have to add roof rails. I feel like even though the D3 is older, it has more newer parts on it. But then again an engine and trans with 60k on it is better than 160k.

If you've made it this far...congrats!
Cliff notes: Would you rather start over with a 50k mile D4 or FFRR, or keep driving a slightly needy but well maintained D3 with 160k, other than that I've never changed the trans fluid. Shifts fine and no faults/reason to suspect anything amiss.

Looking forward to getting some opinions from others that love their Rovers.
 17 Discovery 5 HSE Si6, Fuji White on brown | 07 LR3 SE 4.4 Java Black on Alpaca
Club V8/Club OCD

Post #190855731st Jan 2018 4:30 am
Littlewill

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Its a good question to ask to be fair. The D4s do have more toys on them then D3 and the extra comfort is certainly appealing.... Personally I feel that if you've had a vehicle for as long as this and you know all of the common faults have been dealt with and its now just monthly routine maintenance (oil,filters...) I'd keep it. Other than the slightly more plush interior the Disco 4 isn't much different really and you may find that although it has lower mileage now it too will soon need similar jobs doing that you have already completed on your D3 so you need to factor that cost into the actual price of changing.

As far as transmission problems go. I'm taking the view that if it breaks I'll just have to replace it with a new/recon box etc as the cost of this, although a couple of thousand, would still be much cheaper than changing to a newer D4.

Just my opinion of course Smile

I hope this helps

Post #190857231st Jan 2018 8:34 am
KiwiD4

New Zealand 2011 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

That’s a tricky one. If you are 100% happy with the vehicle, you may as well keep it. Future repair costs are likely to be less than the cost of change, plus interest charges.

However, if you like the idea of a change, go for it. New vehicles are always a gamble, but careful selection can minimise that.

Personally I much prefer the styling of a D4 to a D3, it looks much fresher to my eyes. Plus if going V8 which I assume you are, the Jag 5.0 is such a magic motor, even nicer than the BMW 4.4.
 King of the typo.

MY11 D4 5.0 V8, Bournville, lots of goodies!

Now departed: '85 RR Vogue, '94 D1, '95 D1, '70 SIIA, '97 D1, '04 D2a. All V8, except for the SIIA - but that drank as much petrol anyway! 

Post #190857431st Jan 2018 8:40 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I am about to go into my 15th year with my 2005 D3 with me the only owner. So slightly different background scenario. The money on D4 upgrade has been saved and I still enjoy driving the D3. It’s now used for the tip, dogs, towing and ferrying family members. If it’s not your daily commute and not putting on high mileage I would keep it knowing the last 7 years history.

PS I avoid going in D4’s just in case I weaken Whistle
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #190857931st Jan 2018 8:45 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

I was going to say get rid, but then clocked it was a V8. Keep but factor in the cost of a gearbox rebuild, prob only a few months extra depreciation of a new(er) D4 or FFRR. Thumbs Up

Post #190858731st Jan 2018 9:01 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I’m with Derek on this. Keep it, unless you want to change. Financially, it’s a no brainier - you’ve come so far, you may as well finish the journey. Cost to change to a D4 will be considerable, depreciation will be back up the curve, and it’s likely you will have to repeat the jobs you have already done.

Fair enough, you may have to start repeating jobs you have already done on your D3, but it’s a known quantity.

So, it’s a head v heart decision...

Post #190859631st Jan 2018 9:23 am
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

until i realised you had a V8 i was going to say change for the engine alone . but no i think
with the V8 the change isnt worth the money 160K miles is only about 60% life on what sounds a good one get the box flushed and crack on Thumbs Up
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #190860031st Jan 2018 9:31 am
Dave Shirley

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hang on to it, better the devil you know. Get the transmission fluid changed, ignore the oil leaks ( it is a Land Rover don't forget ) unless they get really bad. It not got a hard life and if you check out the high milers here on the club site yours is a youngster. For me, mine is around the same age and has done about the same miles as yours and still drives as good as when I bought it. If it suffers a major problem like a gearbox or engine failure that would be the time to assess it's fate. Just my opinion for what it's worth. Good luck with your final decision. Dave. Thumbs Up

Post #190871831st Jan 2018 1:38 pm
CMG

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Seems like the consensus is keep it...I'm leaning that way too. It would really be sucky to start over and have a payment plus repairs. I have a 2000k mile trip coming up in a month, so I was a little apprehensive about taking a new to me vehicle on it anyway.
 17 Discovery 5 HSE Si6, Fuji White on brown | 07 LR3 SE 4.4 Java Black on Alpaca
Club V8/Club OCD

Post #190872631st Jan 2018 1:59 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

KiwiD4 wrote:
Personally I much prefer the styling of a D4 to a D3, it looks much fresher to my eyes. Plus if going V8 which I assume you are, the Jag 5.0 is such a magic motor, even nicer than the BMW 4.4.

The D3 4.4 liter V8 engine is also a Jaguar and not a BMW one.

I’m kind of in between which I like more; I had a D4 TDV6 which I liked and now a D3 V8 which I also like Thumbs Up the seat is firmer in the D3 (IMO) - both are/were great to drive.

Post #190872931st Jan 2018 2:05 pm
A.J.M

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If the rest of the car is in good condition and wearing the miles well, I would put a bit of cash into sorting the final areas and enjoying more miles with it.

I was in a similar situation this time last year, keep and repair, or sell on.
In the end I kept it, the silly low trade in prices sealed it.
I stuck new injectors and a gearbox in it. This year it will get new belts, pumps and a turbo.
Underside will get cleaned and treated. It will pass 170,000 tomorrow going home from work.

Post #190874331st Jan 2018 2:36 pm
KiwiD4

kajtzu wrote:
The D3 4.4 liter V8 engine is also a Jaguar and not a BMW one.

That’s me learned something then! I had just assumed it came from the BMW era of ownership. That’s what I get for skipping from Rover 4.0 to Jag 5.0!

OP, sounds like you are still happy with the car, so it makes sense to keep it.

Until you pull up beside a D4 and look at it while think “I wish....”! Whistle
 King of the typo.

Now departed: '85 RR Vogue, '94 D1, '95 D1, '70 SIIA, '97 D1, '04 D2a. All V8, except for the SIIA - but that drank as much petrol anyway! 

Post #190884831st Jan 2018 6:53 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Funnily enough the shop that sold me the D3 also said it has a BMW engine and after I convinced the guy that it did not he thought I was an expert on Land Rovers... all I had done was surfed the internet and read this forum Thumbs Up

The engine designation is AJ41. Smile

Post #190886331st Jan 2018 7:19 pm
KiwiD4

Yeah, I stupidly assumed it was the same 4.4 as the earlier RRS, which was BMW. I know now, I checked Wikipedia, which as we all know is always right. Laughing

OP, either way you will have a lovely truck with a lovely engine. Thumbs Up
 King of the typo.

Post #190888231st Jan 2018 7:44 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

CMG wrote:
I have a 2000k mile trip coming up in a month

Thread on road trip, and pics, please. It's the law!!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #190888731st Jan 2018 7:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to: