Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Transfer case Control Module Question?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Olls

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Transfer case Control Module Question?

hello, I have just got off the phone from LR Newport Pagnell and my Transfer Case Control Module is corroded as water has got in. Now the car drives fine (apart from judder when accelerating due to needing new EGR valves) but I cannot select special programs. I have booked in for 20th April (earliest available), but am due to go to Devon for a family holiday this Saturday Crying or Very sad The technician said that there is quite a bit of corrosion and he cannot guarantee that we will not break down, but I understand that he needs to say this to cover his ass. Can anyone give me advice on wether taking the car on hols for the week is a low % risk?
any (well almost) advice or comments welcome
Thanks
Olls Thumbs Up

Post #6334188th Apr 2010 3:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The transfer case module is located behind the battery in a plastic box that generally leaks water in which does corrode the terminals on the connector and also on the ecu.

The module has Hi speed CAN connections to it at 500k and is on the same bus as the,

Terrain Responce
ACC cruise if fitted
Instrument pack
Park Break module
Engine mangagemnt
Air bag module
Read Diff if fitted
Air suspention
Steering angle sensor
Transfer box, obviously
Auto gear box
ABS
Adaptive front light module
Ride level control module
Occupant sens module.

So if you get a short on the bus it could effect all these modules communications and who knows what the effect will or could be.
What i can say is ive seen in the past this same problem, the car went into LOW range, the suspention dropped and the engine was in limp mode.

Id personally change the module, or at least try and clean the connectors with something, and for what it costs it may be worth also changing the loom that goes from it to the trans case which will give you nice clean pins into the module.

But if you are going away i dont know what to advise, execpt get some contact cleaner of some sort from Wurth or simlar and make sure you are in the AA just incase.
If it has been like this for some time now it should be ok, but since you know about it id personally try and have it done as soon as you can incase of future problems

Pete

Post #6336098th Apr 2010 11:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

First option would be to clean the connectors and seal it. There are two moules there and usually water gets past the rubber boots.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #6336389th Apr 2010 12:09 am
Olls

Thanks for the replys, it is booked in for a week Tuesday when we get back Rolling Eyes
I think as it has been like this since I picked it up 3 weeks ago I will take some contact cleaner withing me and keep my fingers crossed. I am a member of roadside assist so have some backup. Just reluctant to go poking around in there incase I make it worse.

Thanks again for the advice and please keep fingers crossed for me!
Olls

Post #6337269th Apr 2010 11:23 am
Olls

well I made it to devon and back and the car is in today for replacement EGRs and Transfer case module.
Fingers crossed it sorts everything out.
Thank you for your replys and will keep you posted Razz

Post #63869920th Apr 2010 2:42 pm
Olls

was supposed to pick car up this eve, but thought I would just call before I went over and it's not quite ready Evil or Very Mad
Apparently the technician is having trouble re-programming something Question
so asked if I could pick it up tomorrow

Post #63896220th Apr 2010 10:34 pm
Olls

Picked up car and EGRS replaced and transfer case module (and new scuttle panel)
It is like driving a different car Very Happy also all the special programs are back.
Neport Pagnell LR have said the track rod ends have play and should be done asap. I knew this as it was an advisory on the MOT the selling dealer did before I purchased, just need to get them to agree to pay for this as well now Evil or Very Mad
I asked the service guy how much this little lot is costing them and its quite a sum, glad i'm not paying but then again it should all have been done before.

Post #63922421st Apr 2010 5:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >