Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Tree sap and bird cr@p dilemma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
highbayrack

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto LuxorDiscovery 4
Tree sap and bird cr@p dilemma

So this is my long winded dilemma, we just bought a brand new caravan and awning + all the extra things you just have to buy to finish it off Whistle To get maximum use from this new van rather than it be parked up at the house like our old one we have decided to put it on a seasonal pitch on a really nice little site about 30 mins from home so we can just use it most weekends, but still take it away if we want. We are currently on a lovely pitch, which we knew would be temporary, and at the weekend we were informed that some longstanding resident has ordered a £90k 40' Winnebago 5th wheeler which is being delivered at the end of August and the only place it can go because of its size is on the pitch we are currently on. The site have been excellent and offered us 4 other hard standing serviced options, even through they have a waiting list of over 25 before us, but for various reasons there is only one of them that really suits us, except that its it a heavily wooded area which looks great, but having spent the best part of £30k on the van I'm worried that being under the trees it's going to get covered with tree sap and bird cr@p which I can imagine is a real b Censored ard to get off. I did think about having the roof and roof lights clear vinyl wrapped, but I think this might cost an arm and a leg and still won't protect the awning. So what does the panel think ? As I don't plan on spending my weekends cleaning anything other than the BBQ so should I risk it and has anyone had similar experience Thumbs Up
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)
Official product sponsor for "Bloodhound SSC" 1000+ mph world land speed record 

Post #13090969th Jul 2014 7:10 pm
dubbs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

You'll also suffer with it with the awning as I'm sure you'll not want to take that down every 5 minutes.

I'd say don't risk it - although if you keep it clean and use decent polishes etc., the bird crap won't get a chance to establish - but you're taking the chance and will have to apply the extra effort.

Alternatively by a pro-tec cover and take it on and off each time.
 MY15 DIY Black Pack (Better than factory and half the price!)
Prospeed rock/tree sliders w/steps
HSE Winter wheels
TransK9 B24
Travall Cargo Guard
Hatchbag 

Post #13091709th Jul 2014 8:47 pm
dubbs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Don't risk it - re-read your post and had a re-thunk. Bird lime, squirrel Censored , general bits of twig, leaves, general dust and dirt from the trees, never mind bugs.... not worth the hassle and that's before you realise you're under a tree that has sticky buds for seeds....
 MY15 DIY Black Pack (Better than factory and half the price!)
Prospeed rock/tree sliders w/steps
HSE Winter wheels
TransK9 B24
Travall Cargo Guard
Hatchbag 

Post #13091719th Jul 2014 8:49 pm
Cellerdweller

England 

As above don't risk it it will just make a mess of the van and awning , you would be spending your weekend breaks cleaning .
 You're not afraid of the dark are you ?  
Post #13091799th Jul 2014 8:55 pm
highbayrack

Cheers guys, you've confirmed my fears and I'm not going to risk it Thumbs Up hopefully another pitch will come up before we need to move off this temporary one.
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)

Post #130935810th Jul 2014 8:54 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

roofs are hard enough to clean without the added factor of sap, poop and twigs and branches that fall off

I think you had made your mind up anyway, but needed it confirming, find another pitch Thumbs Up

Post #130946310th Jul 2014 1:54 pm
rockcrawler

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

We spent 2 weeks in what we thought was an ideal pitch in amongst the trees but it turned out to be a bad move as the roof was covered in all of the above and I was forever cleaning the rooflights.
Also the amount of twigs/branches that fell on the roof in the wind was quite alarming.
That was a lesson learned.
DON'T DO IT Thumbs Up
 D3 Metropolis Bonatti Grey-Alpaca Leather-adaptive headlights-fridge-EGR blanking kit-Harmen Karden-Cruise-4x4 info enabled-Tinted Windows-Heated F&R Seats-Rosen rear Entertainment-LED'S everywhere -Smoked Side Repeaters-Rear Aircon-Vredestein Wintrac 4 Extreme-Puddle and Footwell Lamps-Stainless Steel Side Protection Tubes- NEW ASHTRAY ( thanks to dsd1036 )
Club BAS Remote FBH
Club MXS10 Ctek
Club Beanie Grill
Rear D4 Lamps
Geoff Gearbox Flush
BAS Remap 

Post #130946610th Jul 2014 2:04 pm
highbayrack

Thumbs Up

Post #130947010th Jul 2014 2:27 pm
cliveaff

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Also when it rains, it will still be dripping from the trees, onto the roof of the caravan, for a long time after the rain has stopped.
Also the birds muck, dries on hard, and it takes forever to get off.
 Land Rover Dicovery 3. 5 Seats.
With side Steps, And rubber floor mats and rubber load space cover.
Front and Rear Mud Flaps.
Light Guards.
Engine Re-Map
Alpine Mobile Media Station. With SatNav.
Xenon head lights
Old Man Emu Suspension
Triumph Sprint RS 1050
Discovery 1 300tdi 1995 

Post #130948410th Jul 2014 3:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Washwipe

England 

First rule of Caravanning, do not pitch under trees if there is any chance of rain, listening to the thud of the droplets hitting the roof long after it's stopped raining.

Post #130949610th Jul 2014 4:24 pm
highbayrack

Guys, thanks and of course you are all absolutely correct and I'm just not prepared to take the risk, lovely as this pitch looks, our new van would be sat there for months and I can just see it being slowly wrecked. I'm sure we will will find another pitch on the same site eventually even if it means we have to take another interim pitch till we do. Thumbs Up

Post #130953510th Jul 2014 6:13 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

we have similar prob with our boat roof..seagulls swating for hours on end...result lime stains down all the glass a bloody mess..

Post #130962410th Jul 2014 9:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >