Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Tree slider fixing and use as steps
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Zoo

United Kingdom 2015 LR4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueLR4

I had the LR Rock sliders fitted at purchase.
I took them off within a month and grummetted the fixing holes in the sill.
They are too close to the body work to act as a step and in wet or muddy conditions, it's hard to avoid getting out of the vehicle without mud rubbing against any passengers trousers or legs.
The ones previously mentioned in the post look better.
I've refitted them as I have the car up for sale.

Click image to enlarge

Post #165834022nd May 2016 10:16 pm
Leesbay

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Width is everything Laughing
 ....................................................................................................

If my wife ever sells my stuff for what she thinks I paid for them, you lot are gonna get some bargains! 

Post #165835022nd May 2016 10:32 pm
Zikzik

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I fitted my Bodsy Bars yesterday. Brilliant. Very high quality manufacturing and top class stainless bolts / washers.
I had contemplated steps. But these work well as steps (they come with self adhesive grip strips - see pic) and as sliders which are just wide enough to protect the car properly.
No connection, other than as a new customer.
 D4 XS new November 2013, RLD Spare protector, Bodsy bars
2010 (60) Jag XF 3.0 P Lux. Gone but not forgotten
2012 Toyota IQ 1.3 auto (The wife's)
Hymer motorhome
2001 Triumph Bonneville 

Post #166747414th Jun 2016 7:59 pm
Leesbay

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Looking good Thumbs Up
 ....................................................................................................

If my wife ever sells my stuff for what she thinks I paid for them, you lot are gonna get some bargains! 

Post #166751014th Jun 2016 8:33 pm
GLYNNE

England 
Re: Tree slider fixing and use as steps

peteyd wrote:
I'm looking at my options to help with getting in an out of the car. Side steps are the obvious choice but look a bit Ant Hill Mob, so I'm now looking at tree sliders.

Looking at how side steps are attached, they seem to connect to the sill but the brackets also go under the car and attach to the chassis. This video shows the brackets being installed :

PD

The Oem side steps use the same fixing points as the tree sliders so don't be afraid of different forces being applied to the fixing points.

If they can hold my weight which they have done for years with no ill effects I'm sure you'll be fine Thumbs Up

Post #166754314th Jun 2016 9:12 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Zikzik wrote:

I fitted my Bodsy Bars yesterday. Brilliant. Very high quality manufacturing and top class stainless bolts / washers.
I had contemplated steps. But these work well as steps (they come with self adhesive grip strips - see pic) and as sliders which are just wide enough to protect the car properly.

Thanks for the feedback.
I love the way the gripper tape has been applied. Did you use the marine version of the gripper in the end?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #166760114th Jun 2016 10:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CDS
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

So I upgraded to Bodsy Bars recently, for a couple of reasons, I like the 'square' finish to the corners, and they are wider than the ones I had, this is the 3rd set of treesliders I've put to the test over the years and been happy with them all, but these are cheaper than my first set (£600), the 2nd set came attached to the G4 when I bought it so hard to compare price wise. The powder coating on both previous sets has given up after about 18months and flaked off.....given the technical guff from Bodsy I'm hoping the powder coating on these stand the test of time much better!!
Got back from 10 days in the Pyrenees about a week ago, while we were there we came across a tight gap, tree to the left and rock to the right.....I had Bodsy Bars....another D3 with us had sidesteps Shocked
Couldn't resist a cheeky video to see how we both faired....shame we didn't have 2 cameras running to show both sides at the same time! I think the video proves how badly the side steps faired......drivers door wouldn't open afterwards due to step being bent upwards, but step bent back down to clear it after being jumped on several times to bend the brackets back down Rolling with laughter

Discovery 3/4 & RRS keys cut and programmed at your home or work
Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto retro fit - see it here
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blanking
Software updates/ enabling
Mobile Servicing & Repairs

Post #166763914th Jun 2016 11:49 pm
Zikzik

Bodsy wrote:
Zikzik wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.
I love the way the gripper tape has been applied. Did you use the marine version of the gripper in the end?

No Ian. I used your supplied gripper tape. It's more abrasive than the stuff used on boat decks, but sticks on to the bars just as well.
You supply two full length strips of 40mm or 50mm wide gripper. I felt that would have given too much surface area of abrasive grip to rub a leg on. So I cut one full length in half to 20mm or 25mm wide. Then cut lengths to suit where your feet actually go when getting in or out and just rounded the ends so there was no edge to lift off.
So I used just under half the tape you supplied.
Hymer motorhome
2001 Triumph Bonneville 

Post #166821816th Jun 2016 6:32 am
Zikzik

[quote="CDS"]So I upgraded to Bodsy Bars recently, for a couple of reasons, I like the 'square' finish to the corners, and they are wider than the ones I had, this is the 3rd set of treesliders I've put to the test over the years and been happy with them all, but these are cheaper than my first set (£600), the 2nd set came attached to the G4 when I bought it so hard to compare price wise. The powder coating on both previous sets has given up after about 18months and flaked off.....given the technical guff from Bodsy I'm hoping the powder coating on these stand the test of time much better!!
Got back from 10 days in the Pyrenees about a week ago, while we were there we came across a tight gap, tree to the left and rock to the right.....I had Bodsy Bars....another D3 with us had sidesteps Shocked
Couldn't resist a cheeky video to see how we both faired....shame we didn't have 2 cameras running to show both sides at the same time! I think the video proves how badly the side steps faired......drivers door wouldn't open afterwards due to step being bent upwards, but step bent back down to clear it after being jumped on several times to bend the brackets back down Rolling with laughter
/quote]

You have just confirmed what I felt about steps - they ain't as good as good bars
Hymer motorhome
2001 Triumph Bonneville 

Post #166822016th Jun 2016 6:39 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >