Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Tree slider fixing and use as steps
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
peteyd

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
Tree slider fixing and use as steps

I'm looking at my options to help with getting in an out of the car. Side steps are the obvious choice but look a bit Ant Hill Mob, so I'm now looking at tree sliders.

The original aim of tree sliders is to protect the car from objects you go over or around. The force on the slider is therefore most likely to be upwards (beached on a rock) or sideways towards the car (going round a tree stump). Sliders are attached by bolts to the sill but the forces are spread evenly along the length of the sill.

When used as a step, the force is downwards. This means the force is concentrated on the fixing bolts and the holes in the sill.

Looking at how side steps are attached, they seem to connect to the sill but the brackets also go under the car and attach to the chassis. This video shows the brackets being installed :

Lots of posters on here have said that sliders make great steps, but it seems to me they put a lot of force through a small amount of metal which isn't designed for it. Is there a possible issue in future of the sills bending or fatiguing through this constant force?

Thanks

PD
 MY16 D4 Graphite in Loire Blue  
Post #165754921st May 2016 10:02 am
Madrilleno

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Sliders are stronger than side steps in both directions. They bolt on underneath and on the side of the sills as well. If money is no object, buy the Prospeed ones with inserts. If you want something for the smaller pocket, I'm running a group buy on the form.
 There are two rules for success,
1. Never tell everything you know.

RLD Spare Wheel Protector
RLD Sump Guard
Narpy Style RRS Grille from Beanie
Discostick 3rd button FBH controller
IID BT
EGRs Blanked
Geoff Gearbox Flush
Prospeed sliders & compressor guard 

Post #165757721st May 2016 10:45 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Search the forum for Bodsys Bars

Have them fitted to mine for a few months now. Coating is unmarked despite the wife and kids using them as steps Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #165765421st May 2016 12:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AAA.Happy.Disco1.Fan

Wales 

The sliders which came with my D are much too close to the body to be used as steps. There's no adjustment to widen the gap either.
Any thoughts on what steps I can take to remedy this short legged passenger problem, please ? Big Cry

AAA Very Happy

PS
The passenger is Non-Returnable.

Post #165765521st May 2016 12:58 pm
peteyd

I'm not doubting the quality of the bars themselves, but the way they attach to the car. Is everyone who has them fitted comfortable with how they fit to the sills and the weight of the person being supported by a relatively small number of bolts and the thin sill metal?

PD
Post #165769021st May 2016 2:17 pm
RBP

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

They are fine as steps. The likes of Prospeed wouldn't market them for such use if they weren't fit for purpose.

Are you planning on inviting Bella Emberg & Giant Haystacks to enter your vehicle from the same side simultaneously? If so politely ask them to stagger entry by 5 second intervals. Thumbs Up

Post #165769221st May 2016 2:35 pm
Leesbay

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Just fitted my tree and rock sliders
You could stand a couple of elephants on them
Compared to side steps which i personally felt would snap off the brackets if i jumped up and down on them

The tree / rock sliders are bolted to sills and also underneath
You can jack the car up on them they are so tough
 ....................................................................................................

If my wife ever sells my stuff for what she thinks I paid for them, you lot are gonna get some bargains! 

Post #165769521st May 2016 2:46 pm
peteyd

Does anyone have a link for some traffic lights I could install to sequence the entry and exit to the car?

I'll take the advice that the sills and sliders are strong enough as steps.

Leesbay, which sliders are those you've fitted? The group buy that Madrilleno is running looks great value at £210. Bodsy's come in at c. £450 and Prospeed close to double that again.

PD
Post #165773021st May 2016 4:22 pm
Leesbay

Terrafirma. Pretty much same diameters as prospeed but more substantial than those on ebay or group buy which is reflected in the prices Thumbs Up
 ....................................................................................................

If my wife ever sells my stuff for what she thinks I paid for them, you lot are gonna get some bargains! 

Post #165773121st May 2016 4:24 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

My personal view on the ebay ones, having compared the two in the flesh, is that the Bodsy bars are far more substantial both in material and in protection design, which is part of the reason why the cost difference.

I'm not trying to knock the group buy as it does reach a price point that appeals for some, but compare from both a rugged aesthetic look to the more practical application that they were designed for.
The eBay 38mm bars vs 48mm bars, the 4mm plate vs the more difficult to bend (hence why few people do) 5mm plate.
The number of supporting tubes on the Bodsy bars of 4 vs 2, then the distance protruding out from the car to actually provide the level of protection tree sliders should be providing.
Shot blasted to prepare, then the zinc primer to protect the steel and to help the powdercoat fully adhere. Plus the matched bolts and machined washers to cover the holes properly and provide better grip to hold the sliders on.

There's a price point for everything, but to get to the lower price points, something has to go, material, build, finish or all three.

Bodsy bars have stood the test of time, having been hooked up balanced on the bars on rocks and trees when going through some of the more challenging terrain.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #165775921st May 2016 5:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
peteyd

Leesbay wrote:
Terrafirma. Pretty much same diameters as prospeed but more substantial than those on ebay or group buy which is reflected in the prices Thumbs Up

How much are the Tarrafirma ones? Their website doesn't have prices.
Post #165777121st May 2016 5:59 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

You really cannot compare the strength of decent bars against flimsy steps. With good bars you could anchor a winch, use them as recovery points, jack the vehicle, suspend the entire weight on a jagged rock.

Steps on the other hand have been known to bend against snow.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #165778521st May 2016 6:30 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Having had an up close look at the Terrafirma sliders last week, I'm glad I paid a little extra and got mine from Bodsy. The tree sliders sit out far enough past the doors to provide more than enough protection

Not that I'll ever use them in anger, mind Whistle
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #165783121st May 2016 7:46 pm
Leesbay

peteyd wrote:
Leesbay wrote:

How much are the Tarrafirma ones? Their website doesn't have prices.

£500 approx but got mine second hand Thumbs Up
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RD1264...Ardz8P8HAQ

Would have gone the Bodsy route if the second hand set were not available Thumbs Up
Quality costs a bit more, simple as.......bodsys look the bis Thumbs Up

Last edited by Leesbay on 21st May 2016 8:08 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #165783621st May 2016 7:57 pm
Leesbay

Disco_Mikey wrote:
Having had an up close look at the Terrafirma sliders last week, I'm glad I paid a little extra and got mine from Bodsy. The tree sliders sit out far enough past the doors to provide more than enough protection

Not that I'll ever use them in anger, mind Whistle

Terrafirma mk 1 as mine off CDS sit out a bit further approx 5-6" , i think the later mk2 are a little closer to the bodywork Thumbs Up

Post #165784221st May 2016 8:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >