DISCO4.COM > Spotted

Trip in Scotland
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
FA38

France 
Trip in Scotland

Hi there,

Don’t be surprised if you see, in few weeks, a G4 , registered in France, crossing UK and then traveling in Scotland.

I will have some holydays with my family there starting August 17th until the August 31th.

I will visit first Edinburgh , then Perth, Inverness , Torridon, Sleat on Isle of Skye , Fort Williams , Cromlix, and back to Edinburgh to cross the Channel to Zeebruge in Belgium.

Any information regarding places to visit, good beer to drink , good food ( …. Those French…) , Land Rover ‘s fans to meet, etc… will be highly appreciated.

Thanks .

Francis.

Wink
 G4 Challenge 2006 V8 HSE  
Post #1734323rd Jul 2007 9:37 am
Albourneboy

United Kingdom 

Scotland's beautiful but don't forget your raincoat, wellies, umbrellas and midgy repellant Laughing
 Now an ex-D3 owner after 7 happy years. Miss the car but not the big bills Smile

Post #1734433rd Jul 2007 10:16 am
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Quote:
midgy repellant

That cannot be emphasised too much . Hard not to find a beautiful place in Scotland.Recommend , Stirling area , Trossachs , Perth,Dunblane etc etc and if you can take a trip to the West coast any of the islands , my favourite , Islay.I'm a regular visitor to Scotland ( married to one ) and should be over there at the end of this month.Bring your golf clubs also.

* Note to self : order D3 Forum window sticker Exclamation

Post #1734613rd Jul 2007 10:54 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CY

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

FA38, what dates will you be in Edinburgh (my town 8) )?

Also, have you got a DISCO3.CO.UK sticker for the back (or front?) of your D3 so that you can be distinguished (not that there's that many G4 D3s here... Rolling Eyes )?

PM me where you're staying and I'll give you some good restaurants etc. nearby to try out Wink

I'll keep my eyes peeled Thumbs Up
 2007 Porsche Boxster (987) 2.7
2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE G4 Challenge (1 of 68)
2023 Defender 90 D250 X-Dynamic HSE 

Post #1734873rd Jul 2007 11:57 am
FA38

France 

Hi CY ,

I will be in edinburgh 2 nights , almost 3 days , 19th to 21st August. I Pm my mobile.

I have just been told by the travel agency that visiting and staying in nice hotels and castles in the west area ( Torridon and Inverlochy ) requieres to adopt a kind of " Etiquette" and an Orange Disco with many stickers would shock. Also I was warned that my children might not be accepted for the dinner in the main dinning room , with adults? Do you think that I must travel with the old fashioned and respectable RR instead of my loving Disco?

Thanks for all your appreciated comments.
 G4 Challenge 2006 V8 HSE  
Post #1735723rd Jul 2007 2:58 pm
CY

Rolling with laughter Nonsense! Nobody else in Scotland's worried about etiquette, I can assure you! Travel in the Discovery - Scotland will be graced to see it Thumbs Up 8)

Some hotels don't accept kids in their 'posh' restaurants (if they're loud and screaming) but then they usually have alternative arrangments for them, like a kids 'cresh' to put them in for the meal Rolling Eyes .

I may not be in Edinburgh for those dates but doubtless one of our members will keep an eye out for the orange beast 8)

Post #1735823rd Jul 2007 3:15 pm
JMC

Scotland 

Hi FA38! I notice you have posted 'Cromlix' as one of your stops and I can only guess that you are staying at the hotel - very nice Thumbs Up

If this is the case then I'm afraid CY has a bit of travelling to do before answering such a post Wink That particular hotel does worry about etiquette, but I can tell you it is a very nice place to stay / eat. In fact, it is probably more 'exclusive' than its neighbour at Gleneagles.....

Don't worry about parking the G4 there...... Just don't scream up the gravel drive and attach the winch to the statues at the front door Laughing
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #1740884th Jul 2007 4:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CY

Afraid I haven't been to Cromlix, so can't comment on its etiquette... rather the ASBO culture of Scotland as a whole... Whistle Shocked

Been to Gleneagles though, and that certainly has etiquette.. Shocked

Post #1740934th Jul 2007 4:38 pm
FA38

France 

JMC wrote:
Hi FA38! I notice you have posted 'Cromlix' as one of your stops and I can only guess that you are staying at the hotel - very nice Thumbs Up

If this is the case then I'm afraid CY has a bit of travelling to do before answering such a post Wink That particular hotel does worry about etiquette, but I can tell you it is a very nice place to stay / eat. In fact, it is probably more 'exclusive' than its neighbour at Gleneagles.....

Don't worry about parking the G4 there...... Just don't scream up the gravel drive and attach the winch to the statues at the front door Laughing

Thanks JMC ,

it seems that Inverlochy Castle ,Torridon and Kinclaven have also these etiquette rules. After all , after speaking about this with my wife , we consider that it is a part a the culture of the country we will visit. We will be the guests and we have to follow the local behavior. In fact , after a phone call in Scotland, it appears that they are afraid not to have a special dinner for our kids. When I told them that my daughter eats oysters since she is 3 , they understood that my kids will have the same dinner as us. The other only funny thing is that I have to carry some suits and ties for myself. Today I have booked and paid all the trip so now , lets discover Scotland and its beauties....( more probably with the RR.... Rolling Eyes )

Thanks a lot for your comments and help.
 G4 Challenge 2006 V8 HSE  
Post #1744545th Jul 2007 1:32 pm
JMC

Scotland 

FA38 wrote:
it seems that Inverlochy Castle ,Torridon and Kinclaven have also these etiquette rules..........we consider that it is a part a the culture of the country we will visit

Inverlochy won the prize for the worlds best hotel (2006 I think) - beating the likes of GeorgeV in Paris etc. I wish I could say that Scotlands mainstream culture was on a similar level, but I can't. Embarassed

FA38 wrote:
We will be the guests and we have to follow the local behavior..........The other only funny thing is that I have to carry some suits and ties for myself.

Hmmmm.... I would suggest smart casual (you say Sport-Chic!) would be the rule of thumb. At the end of the day, your money is as good as anyone elses. Some top hotels here do require expect a shirt & tie in their resturants - just as the Bateaux-Mouches on the Seine Wink

Enjoy Scotland Thumbs Up
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #1744615th Jul 2007 1:56 pm
Alex08

Scotland 

Hi FA38

Hope you enjoy your trip. Is it the Loch Torridon Hotel you are staying in? If it is you shouldn't have any problem with the car. I stayed there a few years ago just turning up and asking about a vacancy having been hill walking and driving an old Scirroco and they were fine. It is 'posh rural'! They don't make you wear a tie for dinner but it is best to take your walking boots and waterproofs off! There is also a nice pub around the back which is 'relaxed' about dress.

However remember that the well dressed Scottish country gentleman wears a kilt (or at least plus fours and a tweed jacket) so you will need these for the higher class hotels. Wink
You can get a good selection at the House of Bruar on the A9 just north of Blair Atholl/Pitlochry. Also they do a good self service lunch!

By the way the Loch Torridon Hotel used to hire out some classic cars for a day at a time if you wanted to tour the highlands in something sporty - I don't know if they still do this though. If you like formal gardens you should stop at Poolewe for Inverewe Gardens whilst you are in the area.

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/poolewe/inverewe

Also have a look at this website for general information to help plan your holiday. I use it when I am looking for things to do and places to stay.

I am crossing on the ferry after yours from Zebrugge on the way back from Romania so I may see you around the place. Have you arranged a pub meet?

Enjoy your holiday

Very Happy Very Happy

Post #1744635th Jul 2007 1:58 pm
FA38

France 

Alex08 wrote:
Hi FA38

Very Happy Very Happy

Hi Alex ,

I m gonna stay at the Loch Torridon Country House Hotel. Is it the same you ve been ?
Regarding the Kilt , it is a good question but as I am very stupid about Scottish traditions , I was supposing that only Scottish people can wear a kilt due to the Clan belonging.In my understanding , wearing a kilt is not a joke for fun . In fact , which Tartan I must choose to be sure that I will not hurt ( not only the view) anybody. To make it short, isnt it like putting water in a good wine in France ( or a good whisky) ? As a foreigner what are the rules to wear a Kilt. Sorry for deviating the Disco3 forum to lessons of good behaviour.

Francis
 G4 Challenge 2006 V8 HSE  
Post #1744795th Jul 2007 2:20 pm
Alex08

Scotland 

Yes Same hotel - it is very nice and you will have a good time.

I thought that you would have realised from JMC's picture in his Avatar that we all wear kilts. I think he only puts the face pain on and uses the sword at weekends though Wink

I think that once the football teams developed their own tartans any sense of tradition was lost Sad but lack of scottishness is no bar to wearing a kilt. It has many advantages and these can be appreciated by anyone. Remember that there is nothing worn under the kilt....

....it is all in perfect working order..... Laughing Laughing Laughing

If you drive a D3 you will have enough taste in clothes to pass at any of the hotels you mention. However if you had an FFRR your butler would be doing all of this investigating for you..

Post #1744825th Jul 2007 2:27 pm
CY

FA38 wrote:
Sorry for deviating the Disco3 forum to lessons of good behaviour.

I wouldn't worry about it, I'm sure we could all do with it sometimes anyway Whistle

Post #1744845th Jul 2007 2:32 pm
FA38

France 

Alex08 wrote:

If you drive a D3 you will have enough taste in clothes to pass at any of the hotels you mention. However if you had an FFRR your butler would be doing all of this investigating for you..

Laughing Laughing Laughing in France we say " Mort de rire ! "
I remember you that my disco , sorry Disco, is orange .... maybe the best color to travel in Northern Ireland Laughing Laughing
 G4 Challenge 2006 V8 HSE  
Post #1744855th Jul 2007 2:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >