Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Trip planned to (hopefully) COLD Lapland in January, advice?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
LapoElkan

Netherlands 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Trip planned to (hopefully) COLD Lapland in January, advice?

As some have read in this tread http://disco4.com/forum/topic115998.html I recently got my Disco 4, after many problems with the last one,

I feel lucky to say, this one is much better, apart from some small minor details that need attention at the first service.

However, I am planning a trip to the North of Scandinavia, Lapland in January. It's for the fun of the trip, and maybe some snowboarding behind the car Wink

Now I am gathering some information, maybe some people here can help me:
Who has experience with real cold and a Disco 4?
Can someone post some pictures of the lights on the front for extra sight and which brand to take?
Since the timed heater warms not for a very long time, would you advice a 220V heater for oil or coolant?

Thanks for your help!

Post #137698221st Nov 2014 8:37 am
Kimi

I was in Finnish Lapland couple of times last winter with my D4. During one trip the temperature dipped to minus 20-25 deg C at nights.

FBH was enough to warm it up in the mornings, no real need for the additional heater. Just need to make sure the battery is in a good condition, so that FBH doesn't stop due low voltage during cold temperatures.

In think LR has an open campaign to switch the front grill to a model which has more restricted air flow to cooler in countries that experience cold temperatures at winter. So owner can swap between the original and restricted grill as temperature get very cold. I haven't got the new grill yet, but last winter I had an earlier version of the same campaign where they installed a simple plastic plate behind the grill to block the air flow. You could consider that as a simple fix.

I don't think Xenon+halogen headlights are that bad in D4. Especially during winter when there is snow reflecting the light and giving brighter visibility e.g. compared to fall without the snow. In my MY10 D4 there is a design flaw where high beams point too much upwards relative to low beams, but I made a workaround by tilting the ring on the high beam light bulbs so that bulb sits on an angle and light pattern moves lower. Some have fixed the issue by tilting the Xenon bulb assembly with some washers under the assembly screws, but I found it too hard to do. There are email threads about the issue.

In my previous X5 I had originally similar Xenon+halogen setup. For that I installed a conversion kit to replace the halogen highbeams with 35W Xenon beams. So having Bi-Xenon on low beams and Xenon conversion on high beams meant that I had 4 separate xenon lights active at the same time when high beams where on. That was a huge change in visibility and definitely rendered any extra light installations useless. I'm considering this to my D4 as well, but haven't done it yet since D4 lights seem pretty good already. Maybe that's something to consider if you find your light not good enough. Btw. I also tried 50W Xenons on high beams but that seemed like too much light already. Considering all the reflections from snow and road signs, it was too bright. And there was too big difference to low beams making you having an adjustment period every time you switched from high to low beams.

Post #137723621st Nov 2014 4:13 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

keep eye out for father christmas

Post #137753021st Nov 2014 10:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
XXV

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I've got one of these and is always handy in the snow.

Post #137767722nd Nov 2014 12:05 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Say hi to these cute (and tastie) fellas.

Click image to enlarge

Doing my own little Northern Trip next July but starting at Bodø then heading down route 17 to Alesund. Unless I just leg it all the way up to North Cape.

Post #137768322nd Nov 2014 12:26 pm
Streffie

2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I would take and add some anti waxing agent for your diesel, just in case it does start to wax, it will also help if you have moisture in your fuel as the water will freeze first.
Oh and more importantly can we have pics of the trip 😀

Post #137776422nd Nov 2014 5:08 pm
Kimi

At least in Finland they sell winter grade diesel all around the country throughout the winter. At northern part some stations may sell arctic grade diesel as well. I've never had to add any additivies on the top of those.

Different grades don't mix very well so summer grade should be used up and tank filled fully with winter grade before getting into cold temperature area.

Post #137777322nd Nov 2014 5:55 pm
Skep

Location: between Sheffield, Chesterfield, Worksop and Mansfield

United Kingdom 

We went in February 12 but flew and it got down to -40'C, make sure you take plenty of warm clothing, I think at one point I had on 5 pairs of socks and 3 pairs of trousers and still couldn't feel my legs or feet! Was absolutely beautiful though especially when the Northern Lights made their appearance!

Skep
 '16 Volvo XC90 R Design Bursting Blue (Vera)
'12 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Fuji White (Daz - Gone Sad
'10 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black (Vinnie - Gone)
'07 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 SE Stornoway Grey (Gone)
Club Side Skeps 

Post #137779522nd Nov 2014 7:01 pm
Gremlin

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

We went in 2008, for Xmas and new year. As long as you keep our fuel tank topped up you won't have problems with the fuel. Make sure your windscreen fluid is strong enough as I kept blowing the fuse for the washers. I put spacers on the wheel and winter tyres from AJS tyres, had snow chains but never used them. I had a little stove in the car and some water and a few soups, just incase the snow got to bad. Great trip

Post #137822623rd Nov 2014 9:56 pm
LapoElkan

Oi, did not expect so many and quick responses, and it has been busy last weeks, so sorry for late response!

The car is one step closer to being ready for the trip, I've bought 19 inch black wheels, and new wintertyres. As soon as I have the center caps, I will post a picture.

Further, I have bought the first part of the lights, the original mounting brackets of LR. But I found out I need make a hole in the front bumper, off which I am not to big a fan. I am thinking of a solution for that.

Camera is on it's way, it's kind of a go pro, but better price, can be used as dashcam, but also on the helmet for hopefully cool film of the Disco.

I still hope someone has time to post a picture of the extra lights, how they are mounted on your car, etc.

Thanks!

Post #13834193rd Dec 2014 7:55 pm
Gremlin

The D3 then the D4

Post #13834303rd Dec 2014 8:06 pm
Skep

Location: between Sheffield, Chesterfield, Worksop and Mansfield

United Kingdom 

On the subject of cameras, below about -20 the batteries might freeze, Mrs Skeps compact camera would hardly work and my DSLR would work for about 5 or 10 minutes, keep a spare battery in your inner pocket to warm it slightly and keep changing it, was the only wayi could get any pictures.

Skep
 '16 Volvo XC90 R Design Bursting Blue (Vera)
'12 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Fuji White (Daz - Gone Sad
'10 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black (Vinnie - Gone)
'07 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV6 SE Stornoway Grey (Gone)
Club Side Skeps 

Post #13834353rd Dec 2014 8:09 pm
LapoElkan

@ Gremlin

thanks!It looks really nice on the car, but does it actually give extra light 500 meters in front of the car?

Further, how are the lights mounted to the grill?

thanks!

Post #13834483rd Dec 2014 8:20 pm
Gremlin

The ones in the grill have had a mounting plate bolted to the fin of the grill then it was cut. On my earlier D3 I had hella 3000 on and I mounted them on the lower plinth of the grill then put steady bars on the top, that saves drilling the bumper.

These lights are from ridged industries and are led. Good beam but expensive.

Post #13834813rd Dec 2014 8:49 pm
skb

2011 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteLR4

Hi,
It has been around -20C here in Calgary for the last week and it is my first winter with a Discovery. I fitted winter tyres, filled up with winter screenwash and wore a warm coat.

I was really impressed with the way the car drove and it heats up quickly. The only worry was the funny noises made by the various electric motors when I got back in the car after leaving it outside at work all day. Everything gets back to normal when it warms up.

Simon

Post #13853847th Dec 2014 9:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >