Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Trolley Jack Advice Needed.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
RMB

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Trolley Jack Advice Needed.

Need some more help from the D3 experts?

I got a flat today, and without thinking used the trolley jack I got for my last 4x4. Changed wheel no problem, then noticed that I had used a 2 ton jack. It worked but I was wondering if I should get a 3 ton jack. I do not do any maintenance on the D3, so jack will only be used for changing the odd flat. Would the 2 ton do the job safely, as I am only lifting 1 corner at a time.
PS It carrys a lot of weight.

Post #34978125th Sep 2008 9:11 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Some 2 ton jacks when extended tend to be a bit unstable, due to the height the D3 need to be lifted if you use the factory jack point. If you are jacking under the wishbone you are probably ok,

Air bag are good especially on soft ground.

I have a 3 ton jack with a modified mount that fits into the chassis rail factory jack point, the large size make it fairly stable, but I do use at least one axles stand.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #34979225th Sep 2008 9:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RMB

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thanks SM
I just finished reading your post about the conversion to your jack, very nice. You look like someone that does a lot of work on your D3. The problem is the weight of the jacks, looking for a 3 ton jack on the net, I noticed there is quite a bit of weight difference between them. My D3 is packed full of tools so I don’t want to burden here with any more weight, if I can help it. I did jack it up using the wish bone, and had no problems, but I did change the wheel VERY quickly in case of a collapse. Shocked
Whistle

Post #34981225th Sep 2008 9:27 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

this is/was a much discussed topic but if you consider that D3 wheels are rated at ~940kg, then if you are lifting just one corner under the wishbone with a 2T trolley jack then you are well under the rating but it's worth remembering that it's not a recommended LR jacking point.

that's how I always change my wheels though....
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #34983025th Sep 2008 9:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RMB

Thanks BM

Had to find a conversion chart there. Whistle So jacking with wishbone at 1 corner with 2 ton jack is ok.
Thumbs Up

Post #34985525th Sep 2008 10:16 pm
al cope

England 

there was a long running thread on trolley jacks, but I'll add one comment. I have a 3ton quicklift trolley jack from machine mart (its a clarke stongarm, the highlift version), it was quite inexpensive (approx £49 if I recall correctly), and ITS RUBBISH. It twists (the main frame) and creaks, and looks decidedly unsafe, to the extent that I've gone back to using the LR supplied jack. I guess its another example of you get what you pay for, so if you are going to buy a new trolley jack, buy a good one.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #34996526th Sep 2008 8:20 am
Ken

I use Sealey Model No: 2200HL
Capacity: 2ton
Minimum Saddle Height: 80mm
Maximum Saddle Height: 795mm
Maximum Chassis Height: 220mm

Lifts pretty much anything I throw at it
Thumbs Up

Post #34997126th Sep 2008 8:36 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

I also bought the machine mart 3t quick lift one and agree that it is poor, it takes a lot of effort to raise and I always feel it is going to break under the strain. Lifting under the wishbones isn't too bad though but trying to lift at the recommended points with this jack is scary. It doesn't help that I have nowhere flat to jack on and have to do it on a sloping driveway Shocked
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #34998326th Sep 2008 9:17 am
simonsi

New Zealand 

I think the rule that lifting kit has to be made to is its collapsing/breaking point must be twice its working load. So for a Trolley jack to be rated at 2T it has to be able to actually bear 4T, hence you should be able to safely lift the full rated weight of the jack. Unless you find a way to put the whole vehicle weight on the jack it should be fine, even if lifting one end (under towbar mount for instance).
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #34999126th Sep 2008 9:36 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

CFB wrote:
I also bought the machine mart 3t quick lift one and agree that it is poor,

The Clarke Strong Arm CTJ3000G is the better one [as in SM's pic]
I got one, it's much sturdier and around £65 incl vat.
BUT, it's not a 'quick lift' - I don't need that, I'd rather take my time to position correctly and then gently raise.
Oddly it was harder to find in the Machine Mart website than the other models.
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #34999626th Sep 2008 9:53 am
CG

Also more difficult to find one in the stores - had to order mine, it is much much stronger than the quick lift, in fact the guy at Machine Mart said they had had most of the quick lift ones back, and he wouldn't use one.

The Heavy duty 3ton is not light, or quick in operation but is sturdy, put a thick plank of wood under most eco boxes and it will lift the whole car in one.

I have seen your mail ronp I will send you the dimensions.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #35007226th Sep 2008 1:32 pm
al cope

England 

I went for the quicklift/hilift (CTJ3000QL) one as I thought the "standard" clarke 3 ton hadnt got enough lift height for the D3.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Last edited by al cope on 26th Sep 2008 2:09 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #35007626th Sep 2008 1:44 pm
RMB

Thanks for all the info Gents

You all did it again. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #35009426th Sep 2008 2:06 pm
CG

attached is a word doc showing the sizes used (plus 2 modifications) for the jack / chassis adaptor for the clarke heavy duty 3 ton jack. it may fit others.

I can get these made, but it's by a sub con toolmaker so they aren't cheap.

[img]http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/13364/jack%20adaptor%202.doc[/img]

Post #35062327th Sep 2008 8:32 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Shiny, what kind of ballpark are these 'not cheap'?
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #35067527th Sep 2008 10:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >