Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

Turbo Blog
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DWillerton

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Turbo Blog

Thought I would share my experiences with forum members:

TDV6 manual 5 seat, 55-plate. Acquired at 2500 miles from new about 5-6 months ago.

PART 1:

When towing a fully-loaded trailer, the engine warning light would come on when going up long inclines. This put the vehicle in limp home mode, but at least changing down into lower gears than normal gave enough power when necessary. Vehicle went to local Dealership A. Fault codes read, turbo vanes not operating properly diagnosed. New turbo ordered.

It must have been at least 3 months before the replacement turbo arrived at Dealer A from Land Rover. Vehicle booked in, without courtesy car, so it could be done before dragging trailer up to Lockerbie from Lincolnshire. Further fault codes read, which suggested that initial diagnosis was not correct. Two days later I get the vehicle back with original turbo - "we spoke to Land Rover factory technical department, and it appears that 2 pins in 2 plugs within the engine bay (1 pin per plug) were loose and these have been causing the error messages, everything will be ok now". 'Yeah, right', think I.

Half way to Lockerbie the warning light comes on. Pull into Scotch Corner and speak to dealer and LR Assistance. LRA could bring out replacement car, but finding one with a tow bar could take long time.

Decide to carry on, and make a decision once arrived at Lockerbie. Good news - having given the engine a spell for 15 mins, it restarts and works properly. Get to Lockerbie with no further problems (apart from noticing a blown out tyre on the trailer when parked up and not having a spare. Knighton Tyres came to the rescue and opened up especially for me at 8am Saturday morning).

Coming back saw the warning light on pretty much permanently but 4th and 5th gears get us home.

Week after, Dealer A finally replaces turbo. And all is well.

For a few weeks.

Then this week the new turbo starts to squeal like a pig.

Both Dealer A and local Dealer B are unable to take vehicle in that day. Get on the phone to LR Assistance,

LR Assistance arrives, a highly creditable 45 minutes after the call was made. Nice man in a nice clean white shirt and tie. 'He's not going to be fixing it, then', I think. He confirms that it's the turbo that's the problem... Possibly some swarf getting inside during manufacture or fitting. He's never heard one sounding like mine before.

Vehicle now at Dealer B - which described itself as being at over 100% workshop capacity and can't give any real indication of when they might look at it.

Have an 06 Freelander Sport hire-car for 48 hours. I suspect that it might not be fixed in this time period...

'Sport'? Noticed this morning it has rear drum brakes! Td4 engine feels really lacking in responsiveness compared to TDV6 - but, hey, at least it works.

I like my Disco. We have had a lot of LR product over the last ten years. Invariably it has all been very, very reliable. At least the equal in reliability to many very expensive German cars which friends/acquaintances have had.

Will let you know about the service I receive and repairs done to the vehicle as time turns.

Post #1853382nd Aug 2007 11:59 am
DWillerton

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

PART 2:

Oh well, after writing Part 1 and expecting a saga, everything has been sorted quickly and efficiently.

The problem turned out to be the EGR pipe coming loose, causing lots of turbo noise. Nothing wrong with the actual turbo at all. I had suggested a loose pipe to the LR Assistance person, but was absolutely assured that it wouldn't be the problem. Probably not tightened properly by Dealer A when the new turbo was fitted.

Dealer B sorted the problem out within two days.

So, happy car, happy driver again.

Post #1859764th Aug 2007 4:28 pm
Matt

Wales 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Thats good to here Thumbs Up

Matt
 Discovery 4 SDV6 XS Firenze Red Ebony Leather

Club DuraTrac BLACK POWDER COATED 19 hse wheels
Disco 3 gone but not forgotten 

Post #1859844th Aug 2007 5:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1