Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

When 'Turbochip' goes wrong
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

simkna wrote:
I may have got this wrong, but aren't the rough 0-60 times supposed to be 11-12s std, 9s chipped?

Si.

My 'real-world' figures are from right foot on brake to stomping foot flat on the throttle. For these times I am not building up any power against the brake. If you do, you get a better time. But that method tells you very little about any hesitation from idle.

On one run, with air con off etc, but still 2up with kit, we got just under 10 secs - albeit with a very small down slope.

Of course, I have a very strange view. I went from a re-map to standard and was astonished how slow the car is. How do you standard guys manage?Wink

Post #455433rd Mar 2006 10:19 pm
knightma

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I've always been ultra suspicious of these after market superchips. More torque, more power, less fuel consumption are the claims. What is the downside? And if there aren't any why don't the OEM's fit similar software maps to their new vehicles? Can anyone enlighten me? Confused
ATB
Mark

Post #455824th Mar 2006 2:05 pm
kebab

2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I would be very suprised if a tuned motor could pass the eu emissions homologation tests which have too be passed before LR can even sell the things, thier pretty strict on diesels these days.

Post #455844th Mar 2006 2:18 pm
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

kebab

Our TurboChip product will pass any MOT or roadside emissions test anywhere within the EU as well as the 'rest of the world' markets where Landrovers are sold.

I deal in facts not surprises Wink
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last!  
Post #455894th Mar 2006 3:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

knightma wrote:
I've always been ultra suspicious of these after market superchips. More torque, more power, less fuel consumption are the claims. What is the downside? And if there aren't any why don't the OEM's fit similar software maps to their new vehicles? Can anyone enlighten me? Confused
ATB
Mark

tc
as you are aware you have chipped my car and i could not go back to a standard vehilce, but i too do not understand why the manufactures do not do it. why put a vehicle on the market with less power / mpg than is obtainable it just baffles me, surely more power and less fuel would help them sell more vehicles please enlighten us Shocked

shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #455934th Mar 2006 4:50 pm
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Manufacturers have to consider the following:

Worldwide distribution to markets with varying levels of fuel quality, servicing standards, oil quality, environmental conditions and emission controls.

This means that LR (like every manufacturer) will 'de-tune' an engine for the worst possible market place, driven and serviced by the worst possible driver and garage.

Also, an engine has a theoretical life span which means the marketing department can continually release 'power upgrades' to keep existing customers aspiring for the latest model.

VW did this successfully with the 1.9 turbo diesel engine which ended up with a 10 year lifespan and engine power outputs from 80-150bhp Wink

It alwaya amazes me how the peugeot 407 with the same engine set up as the D3 had approximately 220bhp with identical emission standards!!
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last!  
Post #455944th Mar 2006 4:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kebab

2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

turbochip wrote:
kebab

Our TurboChip product will pass any MOT or roadside emissions test anywhere within the EU as well as the 'rest of the world' markets where Landrovers are sold.

I deal in facts not surprises Wink

Rolling Eyes
I wasnt talking about mot's, im talking homologation as a reason engines come detuned.

your reply is very defensive and salesman-like.

Post #456044th Mar 2006 6:49 pm
catoperator

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Alveston RedDiscovery 3
homologation

kebab wrote:
I would be very suprised if a tuned motor could pass the eu emissions homologation tests which have too be passed before LR can even sell the things, thier pretty strict on diesels these days.
who gives a toss about eu test they can stick it where the sun dont shine with the rest of the bulls*it Laughing  
Post #456645th Mar 2006 12:06 am
SN

Re: homologation

catoperator wrote:
kebab wrote:
who gives a toss about eu test they can stick it where the sun dont shine with the rest of the bulls*it Laughing
I'm with you there!

I don't mind admitting at the last EU Election I voted UKIP
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #456665th Mar 2006 12:08 am
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

turbochip wrote:
Manufacturers have to consider the following:

Worldwide distribution to markets with varying levels of fuel quality, servicing standards, oil quality, environmental conditions and emission controls.

This means that LR (like every manufacturer) will 'de-tune' an engine for the worst possible market place, driven and serviced by the worst possible driver and garage.

Also, an engine has a theoretical life span which means the marketing department can continually release 'power upgrades' to keep existing customers aspiring for the latest model.

VW did this successfully with the 1.9 turbo diesel engine which ended up

with a 10 year lifespan and engine power outputs from 80-150bhp Wink

It alwaya amazes me how the peugeot 407 with the same engine set up as the D3 had approximately 220bhp with identical emission standards!!

cheers tc

i get it a bit more now, by the way do you think there will be any more power upgrades available in the future like you say the vw engine went from 80-150 bhp in its time.

i am not a greedy person but i do like raw power so when are you going to get me some more Wink

cheers shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #456895th Mar 2006 10:54 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >