DISCO4.COM > General

When 'Turbochip' goes wrong
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
When 'Turbochip' goes wrong…

…they put it all right!

I held off from posting about this until Chris from Turbochip had a chance to work out what had gone wrong. I bought my D3 with chipping in mind & the forum brought up Turbochip. The story…

Like many D3 owners, I was interested in a torque boost and increased MPG. In the week and a half that I had had my D3 I thought the performance was OK enough, perhaps a little better than I expected, but any increase in MPG would be welcome. I was only getting around 22mpg from my mixed town & country driving. Chris was unavailable for my installation, so John from Reading came to breath fire into the car.

The weather on the day was appalling, with rain, sleet and a freezing wind. John was good company, despite the weather. All he needed was a power socket and coffee, white, no sugar. In less than an hour he asked me to take the car for a test run & to return with a big grin.

The test run was blighted by the weather and the traffic, but the car did not feel any different in the low rev range. It drove the same way too, nice and smooth. Somewhat perplexed I returned to pay, but John seemed concerned about the ‘absence of smile’.

The following day I gave it some 0-60 action, but recorded the exact same times as before. Indeed, the only difference was the mid-range was a little crisper, well on a subjective level at least. In the next few days the mpg did not change either.

Chris followed up on the case. Equally perplexed, he wondered if a standard map had been loaded by mistake. He also wondered if my MAF was suspect, even thought the car had just been serviced and then checked for errors during warranty work the day before, plus the Turbochip fault analysis on the day.

Things got nice from this point. He offered to provide a MAF to do a comparison and to show if his product was at fault. Then it would just be warranty work to cure. He even offered to sort out a ‘tame’ dealer given the possible warranty concerns. All this would be FOC. Today John arrived at my house for further diagnostics. But the D3 was fine, with no problems. A test drive followed too. A standard map re-map was prepared before a thought struck. John pointed out the supplying dealers (Stratstone) link with Turbochip, had the car been chipped already?

The test drive with a standard map showed just how slow the car is in production form! Indeed, it looks like the car was already chipped, hence why no real change from before. The down side of the ‘undetectable’ upgrade is that it is – ‘undetectable’. My ‘original’ map was restored, as was my cheque.

Throughout this I was more than impressed with the customer follow-up. Everyone was helpful, positive and proud of the product. It’s easy to sell something when nothing goes wrong, but these guys impressed the hell out of me when something went awry.

The only downside is out of TC control. My car cannot have a further performance boost and the mpg is as good as it will get too. Hey ho.

I cannot recommend these guys highly enough. Like many, I was more than a little nervous about having such an expensive car fiddled with. I have no such reservations now and my experience has raised some interest at work too.

Give them a try, what do you have to loose!

Post #453022nd Mar 2006 9:32 pm
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

hi robbie

what 0-60 do you get with a chipped car and is yours auto

shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #453062nd Mar 2006 10:12 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Good to know Wink
Makes a nice change to find 'honourable' aftermarket suppliers eh? maybe Chris can teach LR a thing or two about customer care Shocked

Post #453072nd Mar 2006 10:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
THUB

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Robbie now has an interesting insurance dilema. He did not know it had been chipped and assumed that the D3 was sold as "standard". Now knows it is and was chipped. What does he do? What is the dealer's responsibilty in a case like this?
I wonder if other companies have tried to "add on" to Turbchips?

Post #453222nd Mar 2006 10:27 pm
Robbie

shawn wrote:
hi robbie

shawn

Mine is an auto and I got 11.4 secs before and after the upgrade. This is without building torque against the brakes, 2 up with my gear in the back, so it's a real world figure. With a v. small down slope, air con off etc John timed just under 10 sec today. With the car back at standard we got about 13 secs.

We wern't exactly refined with our 0-60 timing (me calling 'now!', John with his watch), so don't get too wrapped up in them, but the car is about 2 secs quicker than with a standard map in like-for-like conditions.

Last edited by Robbie on 2nd Mar 2006 10:41 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #453302nd Mar 2006 10:39 pm
shawn

thub

i have informed my insurance company regards my chip and they have sent me a letter back stating there is no problem what so ever and it makes no differece to my premium/excess/claims etc if req, so i am home and dry Wink

cheers shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #453332nd Mar 2006 10:39 pm
shawn

Robbie wrote:
shawn wrote:
hi robbie

shawn

Mine is an auto and I got 11.4 secs before and after the upgrade. This is without building torque against the brakes, 2 up with my gear in the back, so it's a real world figure. With a v. small down slope, air con off etc John timed just under 10 sec today. With the car back at standard we got about 13 secs.

We wern't exactly refined with our 0-60 timing (me calling now!), so don't get to wrapped up in them, but the car is about 2 secs quicker than with a standard map in like-for-like conditions.

hi robbie

that is the same as me and mine is also an auto

shawn
Post #453342nd Mar 2006 10:41 pm
Robbie

What chip do you have? (and your insurance company??!!)

Post #453352nd Mar 2006 10:42 pm
shawn

robbie you have pm

shawn
Post #453382nd Mar 2006 10:51 pm
Robbie

Thanks shawn.

Post #453713rd Mar 2006 8:41 am
Pelyma

England 

Its good to read this and even better that you have taken the trouble to post this info. You never know how good a company is until something goes wrong. Top marks to TC too.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #453893rd Mar 2006 9:45 am
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

I now have a bald patch from all the head scratching with Robbie's car Wink
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last!  
Post #453943rd Mar 2006 9:58 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simkna

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I may have got this wrong, but aren't the rough 0-60 times supposed to be 11-12s std, 9s chipped?

Si.

Post #453993rd Mar 2006 10:03 am
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Si,

I scratched my head about that too but the car definately is chipped now so I'll blame my stopwatch man....when we did the original performance times they were independently calculated at Bruntingthorpe by LRM magazine
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last!  
Post #454083rd Mar 2006 10:17 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The mileage on the vehicle will make a difference, as it does with fuel consumption. Was the vehicle timed by LRM auto or manual?

Post #454093rd Mar 2006 10:24 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >