Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

My turn, funny noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
My turn, funny noise

after teh search returned 3600 hits.....

Noticed this morning when I lowered my window to swipe into the office car park I had a new noise. The last few weeks the window has obviously been down for the minimum amount of time but today I left it down while I drove into the car park. It was pretty obvious (it is a multi storey) that there was a rev related whine above the normal engine noise i.e, the whine increased with revs. I was in a car park so obviously wasn't using much revs but it was audible at tickover over the burble (my 05 has certainly got throatier as it ages Thumbs Up ). I am assuming I need to get the dealer to check pulleys, alternator etc???
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #42910726th Feb 2009 8:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

You can get a lot of noise from the air intake and you will here it if you have a wall in the drivers side.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #42914026th Feb 2009 9:12 am
SPOTTER

yes you do but it isn't that, it is a higher pitch and appears to come from under the bonnet somewhere rather than external. Very Happy
Post #42914326th Feb 2009 9:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Try switching the air con off, and see if the noise goes away. Could be a pulley or ac compressor. Did you have any steering lock applied?, could be PS pump.

My tip is don't worry, just monitor it. If you can't hear it inside, then wait until you can, then it will be easier to locate.

My D3 has a barely audible whirring noise, that goes away when the ac is switched off. Only I can hear it though. It is amazing how the human ear can tune into a noise, and noboby else can.

Post #42915226th Feb 2009 9:25 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Mine has had a whine since new. Has got worse so dealer will look at. Definately air con on when it happens.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #42915826th Feb 2009 9:36 am
SPOTTER

I'll try the aircon off this evening Thumbs Up

Normally when the car is fully warm (my commute is 1.5 hours of fast roads) the car is really quiet, hence a new noise is pretty noticeable.
Post #42916326th Feb 2009 9:42 am
Popelka

Czech Republic 

only time I hear a whine is as the speed increases and ONLY when SWMBO is in the car Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #42947526th Feb 2009 6:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >